• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The problem with gendered clothing

Concerned Irishman

I found this interesting article online today that engages with the issue of gendered clothing, and how it can have the effect of deepening the socially constructed and negative aspects of gender division.

Now, before some of the cranks on here rubbish the idea out of hand - I ask that you actually read the article first (it's very short). It does NOT call for the universal application of unisex clothing - simply the emancipation of all clothing of its gender grounds and the abolition of stigma either way.

It's an interesting area of study, and one that is often taken for granted or overlooked even by LGBTQ activists. Clothing is and should be a powerful expression of who we are - why do we allow society to tell us what is and isn't appropriate in that sphere?

S

simeongrimes

the abolition of stigma either way
How do you abolish a stigma? As it stands women can wear what they like and the days when a woman in trousers was frowned upon are long gone. Men who want to wear women's clothes are not doing it for sartorial reasons comfort or convenience but because of a compulsion. The stigma attaches to the compulsion not the clothes.

Astral Peaks

Strange website, concerned?

Any background to what the "experience project" is about?

I couldn't find anything.......

Concerned Irishman

Strange website, concerned?

Any background to what the "experience project" is about?

I couldn't find anything.......
It's a blog, I gather

zakalwe1

as long as mick wallace wears pink, no son of mine will wear pink....
i don't want them emulating a tax cheat

Rural

All my life my Parents have tried to dress me in girls clothes, the rows were awful. My Mother even gave me a pink hoodie a few weeks back - I'm 51, I don't wear pink and I don't wear hoodies.

Skirts and dresses are only practical in the Summer in this country and even then, it depends on the Summer.

Limerick Lad

A man deliberately wearing a dress or article of clothing that has been made to fit a woman's body is very different from a woman wearing what some might consider masculine clothes (trousers, etc) that have been designed and made with the sole purpose of being worn by women. There are designers who attempt to push the limits of what might be thought of as gender appropriate clothing, London based Irish born fashion designer JW Anderson produced such a menswear collection for next Autumn but I doubt they will appeal to those who have a penchant for wearing women's clothing or that we'll be seeing many men wearing them.

JW Anderson:Men AW 2013:Collection | ELLE UK

Victor Meldrew

as long as mick wallace wears pink, no son of mine will wear pink....
i don't want them emulating a tax cheat
petunia

Actually considering the natural* complexion of the Irish, pink is a most unflattering colour. That it became popular for men in particular, is very regrettable. Ditto any "skin complexion" clothing.

Say what you like about O'Duffy, but he nailed the colour the for Irish complexion.

"De-genderising" clothing. Nonsense. We are different shapes, and it is not just a boobs and hips thing. There are different limb bone ratios.

That is why small women look ridiculous in some cars whereas small men don't. (5 ft blokes still manage to look like they are holding the wheel rather than attached to it. )

* as opposed to the St Tropez addiction of our dumber citizens. Fake tan = idiot. Real tan = wrinkled idiot

White Horse

The key line in the article is:

"Although I have identified myself as a crossdresser....."

Does the blogger not realise that his own identity disorder has no relevence to the vast vast majority of children?

sic transit

I do find this kind of stuff makes me sigh inwardly very loudly and put on my pity face. I also find it distasteful that people with their own issues project them onto the public at large under the guise of it being allegedly important. I can happily get up in the morning and put on my clothes without ever reflecting on anything beyond the fact that they are clean and that I probably like wearing them.

dizillusioned

OK my two cents worth, clothing has been seen as division of sexes for ceturies, that is not going to change. Mens and womens clothing have different "cuts" to accentuate the body shape, you cannot really have unisex clothing as all clothing "fits" differently.

The article states that the writer is a cross dresser, good luck to him. That is his choice and I have no issues with that. However, to say that clothing is not emancipated?? That is a long way short of the truth. Women wear clothes differently to men (thankfully), Fashion is also function, no matter what, I cannot see Enda Kenny showing up to the Dail in an off the shoulder Chiffon number.

IMO, clothes do not make the man/woman.

Rural

I do find this kind of stuff makes me sigh inwardly very loudly and put on my pity face. I can happily get up in the morning and put on my clothes without ever reflecting on anything beyond the fact that they are clean and that I probably like wearing them.
Clean, comfy and warm - The main thing for me.

asterix

How do you abolish a stigma? As it stands women can wear what they like and the days when a woman in trousers was frowned upon are long gone. Men who want to wear women's clothes are not doing it for sartorial reasons comfort or convenience but because of a compulsion. The stigma attaches to the compulsion not the clothes.
How do you know a particular man is doing it for compulsion, as opposed to, say, finding that a skirt is more comfortable, with less chafing in the crotch area? The reason you "know" is that the stigma is so strong most men will put up with the chafing rather than seek a practical alternative.

sondagefaux

Togas in nice weather, Star Trek uniforms in crap weather. Simples!

Only problem - how do you go to the toilet when wearing a Star Trek uniform?

dizillusioned

Togas in nice weather, Star Trek uniforms in crap weather. Simples!

Only problem - how do you go to the toilet when wearing a Star Trek uniform?
Oh come on, teleportation of your body!!... have you learned nothing from the Big Bang Theory?

sic transit

This was a serious problem for Jeri Ryan when she was "bet into" that Seven of Nine uniform.

sondagefaux

On the other hand, Jackie Healy-Rae in a toga or Star Trek outfit...

There has to be a law against that! petunia

daveL

what. a. load. of. sh!t.

bet the author is a fattie

Seanie Lemass

I found this interesting article online today that engages with the issue of gendered clothing, and how it can have the effect of deepening the socially constructed and negative aspects of gender division.

Now, before some of the cranks on here rubbish the idea out of hand - I ask that you actually read the article first (it's very short). It does NOT call for the universal application of unisex clothing - simply the emancipation of all clothing of its gender grounds and the abolition of stigma either way.

It's an interesting area of study, and one that is often taken for granted or overlooked even by LGBTQ activists. Clothing is and should be a powerful expression of who we are - why do we allow society to tell us what is and isn't appropriate in that sphere?

Gender is not a social construct! Only nutballs beleive that.

Seanie Lemass

The Maoists during the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution and the Khmer Rouge had solved this problem in the 1960s and 70s but the world was too stupid to understand their project :(