The Protest Vote Myth

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
I heard Ivan Yates this morning claim he predicted this bump for SF as there was a large protest vote emerging. He said that the electorate were saying 'to hell with them all'. He went on to include the SP and PBP in his rant.

I take serious issue with this. I will vote SF in the election and will probably transfer to the left. My vote is not in protest. I have looked at the various parties and their policy and for this election SF are reflecting my views. I will make an educated decision as to who I will vote for.

SF have been on about 8/10% for a long time. This is not a protest. The electoral boost SF recieved after the GFA was anything but protest. It was a goodwill and well done vote which they have held.

In DSW Pearse Doherty received 40%. It was a 5 horse race with only 1 Government candidate. When we look at SF's and Doherty's campaign and couple it with the result it is clear that this is npt a protest vote.

16% is not a protest vote it is a reflection of 16% of the Irish population who have every bit as much right to democratlcally vote SF for their own reasons as the remaining 84% do, including the FF 13%.

Ivan Yates can sod off. If he thinks my vote is a protest vote then I will call his a conformity vote.

bobbysands81

It could be argued that any vote that is not for FF or the Greens is a protest vote as it's a vote against the present Government... but seriously mate don't let him get to you.

Collegebhoy

Twitter
n/a
Well said TimBuckII +1 :)

civilserpant

I have looked at the various parties and their policy and for this election SF are reflecting my views. I will make an educated decision as to who I will vote for.

Ivan Yates can sod off. If he thinks my vote is a protest vote then I will call his a conformity vote.
So what, exactly, are you voting for?
Which SF policies do you agree with, why and which of their policies will drive growth and get us out of the mess?

Not being remotely facetious here, you seem like an educated guy, you say you read all the parties proposals (labours???) and you don’t spout idle rhetoric, so leaving the spin, dumb comments about personalities aside, what has won you over?

adrem

media have a need to categorise people - so if you vote for SF then you are categorised as protesting as distinct from making a conscious decisioni to support their views, policies, personalities or whatever.

I personally will never vote for SF due to their past and specific issues like their position on the killing of Gerry McCabe etc. Any party that doesn't condemn the killers of a member of our Garda Siochana doesn't get my support.

I would also struggle to support their economic position and policies.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
Which SF policies do you agree with, why and which of their policies will drive growth and get us out of the mess?

Not being remotely facetious here, you seem like an educated guy, you say you read all the parties proposals (labours???) and you don’t spout idle rhetoric, so leaving the spin, dumb comments about personalities aside, what has won you over?
Don't be so facetious. You see were i'm going with this thread. There're many other threads dealing with party positions.

bobbysands81

It's patronising.
You're right, it is, no make sure you get out there and register your "protest" vote... and make sure all your family and friends do cos I bet it's eating Ivan up that SF are going to do so well so he's trying to square it off in his own head by saying "Ah sure, it's only a protest vote".

However, a vote that goes to Sinn Féin tends to stay with Sinn Féin due to how hard working and decnet their candidates are and the fact that they put the people of this country first and not corporate elements.

Mister men

I'll be voting Sinn Fein and it's nothing to do with a protest vote. I'm actually amazed with the amount of people i've talked to who are planning to do likewise.

bobbysands81

I'd love you to have a SF Minister!

In fact I'd love my Department to have a SF Minister.

civilserpant

Don't be so facetious. You see were i'm going with this thread. There're many other threads dealing with party positions.
I'm not. You said in the OP you were won over by their policies.
I'm asking YOU which ones. That is the point of a thread...

As for newstalk, change the channel then. Yates is a twat and even worse, tries to be more so, but there's many out there who think the SF bounce is a protest vote, its hardly a unique view.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am
I'm not. You said in the OP you were won over by their policies.
I'm asking YOU which ones. That is the point of a thread...

As for newstalk, change the channel then. Yates is a twat and even worse, tries to be more so, but there's many out there who think the SF bounce is a protest vote, its hardly a unique view.
Ok. I like their health care policy.
Not very detailed but it's really only intended to make you move on.

The point of the thread is that my vote is not prostest. Can you accept that? If you don't accept that then we are debating from two different starting points and will never reach an end.

I like newstalk and I like listening to Yates. Obviosly there are people out there who think that but as you see above, my SF vote isn't a protest vote.

New Threads

Most Replies