The Quango Cull Begins

Victor Meldrew

Heard Niall Crowley on RTE this morning and it struck me how irrelevant (to me) his quango is. I'm also sick of hearing his "hand-wringing" pronouncements.

That said, I've family in the IHRC , so hope they are not just neutered or totally shafted. A re-focus would be good though. Merging Data protection into Equality and IHRC will be interesting, and might make the mortgage paying and bank account holding classes give a damn about the new entity. Up to now the consensus tends to be "equality & human rights" = handouts and busywork = tax bill for Joe PAYE.

The Equality commission wins in the public antipathy stakes though...

KATHY

Its about time, hopefully this is just the start of the Quango Cull, many of which were set up purely to facilitate FF and its croneys.

Although they would never admit it, it has to be said that this idea was first muted by FG back in April, but its good to see them finally taking it on board .

http://www.finegael.ie/campaign/index.c ... /pkey/1084

Quant

Victor Meldrew said:
Heard Niall Crowley on RTE this morning and it struck me how irrelevant (to me) his quango is.
Let me guess-you're a white, Irish, English-speaking, heterosexual male?

de knowledge economy

So who will be the chief executive of the new body, who will be getting p45's and going to the post office, how much will be saved... Relax lads, only a proposal,we can make the saving just with a hiring freeze, no replacing those heading for a year to tour Australia.

Leftfemme22

TradCat said:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0724/1216741027971.html

DEAGLÁN DE BRÉADÚN, Political Correspondent of the Irish Times claims the government is proposing to merge the Equality Authority, the Irish Human Rights Commission and the office of the Data Protection Commissioner into a single agency.
Its only a cull if any of those employed within these bodies lose their jobs.

corelli

de knowledge economy said:
So who will be the chief executive of the new body, who will be getting p45's and going to the post office, how much will be saved... Relax lads, only a proposal,we can make the saving just with a hiring freeze, no replacing those heading for a year to tour Australia.
Well all the staff, including the CEO of the Human Rights Commission have contracts so either its buy them out or let them finish them. The President of the Human Rights Commission was only re-appointed by Government last year for 5 years so you can expect Maurice Manning being President of the new body.

Clanrickard

Quant said:
Victor Meldrew said:
Heard Niall Crowley on RTE this morning and it struck me how irrelevant (to me) his quango is.
I know what he is not. A whining hand wringing pc leftie.

TradCat

Quant said:
Victor Meldrew said:
And you work for a living.

jmcc

Quant said:
Victor Meldrew said:
Otherwise known as an endangered species?

Regards...jmcc

Victor Meldrew

Quant said:
Victor Meldrew said:

Yep, I'm middle-class, catholic, educated to 4th level, to boot.. so therefore an irrelevant constituency in Ireland. hell, all my sort do is pick up the tax bill.....

There is more to discrimination than gender, race, religion and orientation. Ironically being a white bloke means you can't hide behind the ablilty to threaten "discrimination" when things don't go your way....

BTW, I'm in favour of nearly all "Liberal agenda" issues,

I just think "Rights" come with responsibility and people have an obligation to integrate into this society.

LiquidPaddy

Hmmm, it is really a load of codswallop for a govt who has f**ked the economy up to start picking on quangos, and trying to fire people's imagination about how this will solve the current problems. It sits right up there with the Minister for Soc Welfare to suggest the high social welfare bill is due to dem darn foreigners - from this week we're back in our box, queueing for a living again. Queueing in Blanch this week the local 'lads' were eyeballing all the Eastern workers, and not in a good way - thanks for the racism Mary.

But back to Quangos... we must ask, however, who set up some of these obscure bodies: that is the real question. There are some really obvious quango bodies, but equality bodies are not the target in so far as government expenditure/waste of money goes. But seeing Minister Ahern trying to get rid of troublesome dissident organisations is really troubling.

I'm concerned about how the 'cull' begins with agencies that have particularly ticked off the present goverment and the current Minister for Justice... hardly a good beginning. This is a political move, designed to weaken bodies that have played a key role in raising political consciousness about human rights and equality. While the Heads of a Bill have been announced for Civil Partnership - which David Norris has quite aptly described as a dog licence - the FF/G govt has postponed any Bill until at least the autumn - or into 2009. I would argue that is it critical to have the voices of the Equality Authority, etc. in place until this new legislation is settled into place. We need independent voices as a source of oversight over this discredited bunch, and I'm concerned the govt targets such capable organisations as it weakens civil society. But that is FF's game... keep us concerned about immigrants who take the dole (when it's probably more likely to be Irish people), and keep us concerned about Quangos, while the government keeps brushing the pooh that is the Irish economy under the rug...

polito123

The NCSE should be the next quango to be culled! The responsibility for education for people with special needs must be teh responsibility of the Deapartment of Education.

As it stands, the minister has no say in decisions made by this body, and moreover, these is no avenue for recourse, should the SENO make a decision, which you don't agree with.

Despite assurances that cutbacks would not affect education, there are hundreds of cases throughout the country where the most vulnerable people in our society are having their resource hours and assistance slashed.

gentleben

Agreed. this is a total load of bollox designed to deflest attention from the real issues.

dont fall for it.

Leftfemme22

gentleben said:
Agreed. this is a total load of bollox designed to deflest attention from the real issues.

dont fall for it.
Government amalgamating quangos which they set up in an attempt to appear efficient and cost effective despite the fact that not a single penny will actually be saved as this is not a cull as opposed to moving the deck chairs on the Titanic.

You seriously could not make this stuff up.

Honestly if Government put even a fraction of the effort into fixing problems as they do into trying to make it appear that they are fixing problems they would work wonders.

Quant

Victor Meldrew said:
Quant said:
[quote="Victor Meldrew":3rurvjny]Heard Niall Crowley on RTE this morning and it struck me how irrelevant (to me) his quango is.

Yep, I'm middle-class, catholic, educated to 4th level, to boot.. so therefore an irrelevant constituency in Ireland. hell, all my sort do is pick up the tax bill.....

There is more to discrimination than gender, race, religion and orientation. Ironically being a white bloke means you can't hide behind the ablilty to threaten "discrimination" when things don't go your way....

BTW, I'm in favour of nearly all "Liberal agenda" issues,

I just think "Rights" come with responsibility and people have an obligation to integrate into this society.[/quote:3rurvjny]
The fact that you put discimmination in invereted commas and use phrases like the "liberal agenda" implies otherwise! Maybe you should just be grateful it's proved irrelevant to you, i.e. that you've never been unfairly discrimminated against, but recognise that it's been very relevant indeed for others not so fortunate?
BTW, I don't get your last point; is anyone arguing otherwise?

hiker

There is 80 million euro per annum to be saved by pulling the funding for Dublin Bus.
Lets face, all they use it for is to close down competition on bus routes. They are obviously making so much money they can afford to do this.

Time to pull the Dublin Bus Subvention.

Leftfemme22

hiker said:
There is 80 million euro per annum to be saved by pulling the funding for Dublin Bus.
Lets face, all they use it for is to close down competition on bus routes. They are obviously making so much money they can afford to do this.

If they are making so much money why are they getting a subvention? Does DB make a Profit? Where did you get the figure of 80 million from?

Victor Meldrew

Quant said:
The fact that you put discrimination in inverted commas and use phrases like the "liberal agenda" implies otherwise! Maybe you should just be grateful it's proved irrelevant to you, i.e. that you've never been unfairly discriminated against, but recognise that it's been very relevant indeed for others not so fortunate?
BTW, I don't get your last point; is anyone arguing otherwise?

Bless....

Some issues are a little complex for you? everything's black and white in your world? Discrimination exists in several forms, many of which are ignored by quangos.

Without starting a "Discrimination Pi$$ing contest" (as men would have an unfair advantage)

Try unmarried father's access rights for an easy opener. (Men = irrelevant)

Then follow with excluding life insurance cover based on genetics or sexual orientation. Tends to only affect the mortgage paying classes, so they are off YOUR radar.

How about motor insurance. (pesky "Y" chromosome again).

Try workplace bullying as experienced by a number of men I know. Those cases tend not to hit the employment tribunals as men are expected to suck it up and move on.

and then we can book-end it with the treatment of intellectually & physically disabled in Ireland. Now there's a group who don't exactly shout from the rafters...

There is more to "discrimination" than the popular, championed, issues that hit the headlines thanks to Crowley and his lot.

With respect to the "liberal agenda". Well sorry for sparing other readers a comprehensive list of all current injustices, real or imagined, in Ireland at the moment. For the most part, I'm behind the quangos, but in highlighting every perceived grievance, Niall Crowley has lost a lot of his audience.

With respect to the last point, rights & responsibilities, I don't see the equality authority pursuing this in certain cases... but they are by no means the worst here....

TheBear

Leftfemme22 said:
hiker said:

If they are making so much money why are they getting a subvention? Does DB make a Profit? Where did you get the figure of 80 million from?
Only two routes make a profit, apparently: 46A and 10. (I heard that a few years ago, so it may be a little out of date.)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies