The Queen's University Speech: will Leo's leadership on Brexit fall on deaf ears?

Congalltee

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0804/895139-taoiseach/

1. EU-UK customs union a la Turkey
2. Deep free trade agreement in lieu of single market as a precursor to EFTA membership
3. Long transition while details are worked out
4. No hard border needed
5. Restore NI executive, N-S bodies

"Calling Brexit the challenge of this generation, he warned that every single aspect of life in Northern Ireland could be affected by it."Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has promised that the Government will do all it can in the Brexit negotiations to achieve the best outcomes for peace, freedom, rights and prosperity on the island of Ireland.

There's an implicit threat here:
In October I will sit around the European Council table with 26 other prime ministers, and we will decide together whether sufficient progress has been made on three key issues to allow the Brexit negotiations to proceed to the next phase.

“Those three key issues are citizens’ rights, the financial settlement and issues relating to Ireland. It will be a historic meeting for this island. It is my fervent hope that progress will have been made, but I do not underestimate the challenges we face."

For the locals at Queens:
Our differences make us stronger, and our diversity is our strength. That remains my view today as Taoiseach,” he will say. “We need to hear the voice of the elected representatives here in the North. We need the Executive, the Assembly, the North-South Ministerial Council and the British-Irish Council up and running and acting in the interests of our peoples. We need that more than ever, and we need it now.”

Mr Varadkar also will pledge that the Government will discharge its responsibilities as a guarantor of the Belfast Agreement.

In the Q&A:
- he manages to actually answer questions (including a "I don't know" on enforcement)
- he will build that road (A5) and those south of the border will pay for it.
- he gets food-agricture challenges.

He is no Enda Kenny - buíochas le Dia.

Last edited:

gleeful

The Brexiteers in the UK have no intention of doing any kind of deal. They want the clock to run out and then will spin the resulting disaster as the EU's fault.

The plan is to rebuild a new, right wing, UK out of the ashes.

McSlaggart

The A5 is important economically for the north West of the Island especially with the UK leaving the EU.

Deadlock

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0804/895139-taoiseach/

1. EU-UK customs union a la Turkey
2. Deep free trade agreement in lieu of single market as a precursor to EFTA membership
3. Long transition while details are worked out
4. No hard border needed
5. Restore NI executive, N-S bodies

"Calling Brexit the challenge of this generation, he warned that every single aspect of life in Northern Ireland could be affected by it."Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has promised that the Government will do all it can in the Brexit negotiations to achieve the best outcomes for peace, freedom, rights and prosperity on the island of Ireland.

There's an implicit threat here:
In October I will sit around the European Council table with 26 other prime ministers, and we will decide together whether sufficient progress has been made on three key issues to allow the Brexit negotiations to proceed to the next phase.

“Those three key issues are citizens’ rights, the financial settlement and issues relating to Ireland. It will be a historic meeting for this island. It is my fervent hope that progress will have been made, but I do not underestimate the challenges we face."

For the locals at Queens:
Our differences make us stronger, and our diversity is our strength. That remains my view today as Taoiseach,” he will say. “We need to hear the voice of the elected representatives here in the North. We need the Executive, the Assembly, the North-South Ministerial Council and the British-Irish Council up and running and acting in the interests of our peoples. We need that more than ever, and we need it now.”

Mr Varadkar also will pledge that the Government will discharge its responsibilities as a guarantor of the Belfast Agreement.

In the Q&A:
- he manages to actually answer questions (including a "I don't know" on enforcement)
- he will build that road (A5) and those south of the border will pay for it.
- he gets food-agricture challenges.

He is no Enda Kenny - buíochas le Dia.
He has thrown a few life perservers for sure. If those are not taken gratefully and used, than I'm tempted to say the idiots deserve to drown in this cesspit of their own making.

Tribal

He's increasingly looking like the right person at the right time.

With his talk of the upcoming EU council meeting about A50 progress he projected power politics that hard nose unionists can't ignore, it's like a dog whistle to them. He can promote his proposals to them and lose nothing by doing so.

Analyzer

In the Q&A:
I don't know is now the standard response of FG with regards to enforcement in loads of areas.

gleeful

He's increasingly looking like the right person at the right time.

With his talk of the upcoming EU council meeting about A50 progress he projected power politics that hard nose unionists can't ignore, it's like a dog whistle to them. He can promote his proposals to them and lose nothing by doing so.
I like Leo, but looking good regards Brexit is very easy. All you need to do is say sensible things - and the contrast is easily drawn with the Brexteers in the UK who are a complete shambles. Brexit is one of the few issues in politics where being open and honest about how bad it is will make you look good.

Mushroom

Unless and until The Widowkiller has endorsed Leo's excellent speech, it won't gain much traction here.

Casablanca

I had reservations about Leo's inability to pass an open microphone before he was elected and his tendency to say what he thinks too readily. What I didn't worry about was what seemed to worry most posters here: his sexual orientation and the fear that he's too right-wing. All Irish leaders rule from a small centrist band and Leo is no different and his sleeping arrangements are inconsequential.

So far he's been steady and seems to be well on top of his brief. I suspect he'll be ok for us on Brexit.

* And may well be around to lead a FG/SF government.

Last edited:

Deadlock

I had reservations about Leo's inability to pass an open microphone before he was elected and his tendency to say what he thinks too readily. What I didn't worry about as what seemed to worry most posters here: his sexual orientation and the fear that he's too right-wing. All Irish leaders rule from a small centrist band and Leo is no difference and his sleeping arrangements are inconsequential.

So, far he's been steady and seems to be well on top of his brief. I suspect he'll be ok for us on Brexit.

* And may well be around to lead a FG/SF government.
Wholly concur, but now I add in addition to your open microphones, open Sock Shop franchises, and Stairs well known in films.

wombat

I suspect that the speech was carefully prepared by civil servants involved in preparing for Brexit and is an attempt to smoke out the Brexiteers to say what they want. It looks like the civil service have set up groups in various departments to start planning for the impact of Brexit but they are spinning their wheels until they have an indication of what way it will head.

Casablanca

I suspect that the speech was carefully prepared by civil servants involved in preparing for Brexit and is an attempt to smoke out the Brexiteers to say what they want. It looks like the civil service have set up groups in various departments to start planning for the impact of Brexit but they are spinning their wheels until they have an indication of what way it will head.
Yes, all the indications are that, for the moment, the Irish are just using Enda's contact list to build awareness and support in the EU whilst waiting for a bit of clarity.

That said, they might be waiting a long time for clarity as to the British position.

raetsel

He has thrown a few life perservers for sure. If those are not taken gratefully and used, than I'm tempted to say the idiots deserve to drown in this cesspit of their own making.
Some undoubtedly do. There is a special place reserved in Brexit-hell for the idiot farmers who voted for this mess, for instance. However the majority here in the north did not vote for it but we are already paying the price due to a collapsing pound. I've just returned from a three night break in the Republic. I winced at the idea of paying an extra 80 pence for a pint, over and above what I pay at home. And the Republic is still cheaper than the countries in the Eurozone which I normally take holidays, notably France, Germany and Italy.
There is of course a very good reason for Varadker to keep pushing this from a selfish point of view though as there will also be losers on the southern side of the border as well if a hard border returns.

Deadlock

Last edited:

wombat

Edit: they've just literally changed the headline from Irish PM threatens to stall Brexit unless border resolved
Its interesting that they chose to emphasise the border as an issue rather than the need for a financial agreement, they really believe that they can leave the EU and the next morning will be able to trade as freely as they can at present. Its one thing for the Sun to have headlines welcoming the end of straight bananas but the Telegraph are supposed to have serious business reporters on their staff.

tsarbomb

He concluded his speech saying: "At a time when Brexit threatens to drive a wedge between North and South, we need to build more bridges and fewer borders.

"I promise I will play my part in helping to do exactly that."

The issue of relations between the north and south should be an issue for the politicians on this island and not bureaucrats on the continent unwilling to compromise with London. This statement shows how little influence our own government actually has in all of this and it should becoming clear to more people that EU membership means a pretty bad future in many respects.

For all this talk of Leo showing leadership the only things he's done is give a commitment to build a road. He's only a media savvy version of Michael Healy Rae.

Paddyc

Some undoubtedly do. There is a special place reserved in Brexit-hell for the idiot farmers who voted for this mess, for instance. However the majority here in the north did not vote for it but we are already paying the price due to a collapsing pound. I've just returned from a three night break in the Republic. I winced at the idea of paying an extra 80 pence for a pint, over and above what I pay at home. And the Republic is still cheaper than the countries in the Eurozone which I normally take holidays, notably France, Germany and Italy.
There is of course a very good reason for Varadker to keep pushing this from a selfish point of view though as there will also be losers on the southern side of the border as well if a hard border returns.
I'm particularly enjoying the farmers in the UK who rely on migrant labour to pick their crops, who voted for Brexit and now face financial uncertainty. Dyson was particularly anti EU until he remembered that he's the single biggest private recipient of EU farming subsidies in England. It's now occurring to him that his farmland is unsustainable without EU grants, especially if the UK floods its own market with cheap food from abroad after lowering food standards.

raetsel

I'm particularly enjoying the farmers in the UK who rely on migrant labour to pick their crops, who voted for Brexit and now face financial uncertainty. Dyson was particularly anti EU until he remembered that he's the single biggest private recipient of EU farming subsidies in England. It's now occurring to him that his farmland is unsustainable without EU grants, especially if the UK floods its own market with cheap food from abroad after lowering food standards.
I hadn't realised that Dyson was a farmer, or for that matter that he'd had a change of heart. He's developing an electric car to compete with Tesla as well apparently.
You'll not export many of those to Europe, "Sir" James - good luck with India, Pakistan and Nepal though! :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies