• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The radio advert on RTE re the power of radio advertising medium

retep

Just contemplating that like many of the similar adverts recently created by RTE radio to promote the power of media advertising and it's ability to create a visual medium, whilst the concept and even the impact of this ad, like the other similar ones, is quite inspired and effective, is there anyone else that find it's somewhat irritiating to find the advert voiced in a broad Dublin accent by either Eamonn Morrisey or an Eamonn Morrisssey soundalike for all the world sounding like Flann O'Brien about to tell ya that "Da brudder" reakons a pint of plain is yer only man and whatever about the visual imagery the concept of a one eyebrowed ginger haired naked 300lbs half Samoan is supposed to conjure up, much of the impact of this is lost by using such a strong Dublin voiceover to project the script (Which tends to be a most irritating trait of much of RTE and the Irish radio advertising output in any case where they tend to use either the Inner city Dub or the D4 or AA roadwatch type voice overs and all the goys in the ad seem to be called Conor or Fiachra and the girls seem to be called Emily or Sinead or Roisin or something like that who can never seem to properly pronounce the names of places outside of the M50) , or am I missing something and is this supposed to be part of the arty ironic inverse inside joke of the advert?

montaillou

What I get from the 'ad' is:

RTÉ - great for advertising but bugger-all use for anything else, most of all truthfully reporting the news.

Last edited:

patronsaint

What I get from the 'ad' is:

RTÉ - great for advertising but bugger-all use for anything else, most of all truthfully reporting the news.
:D

The ad has the knack of making you listen right through to the end, at least the first time.

rob

Just contemplating that like many of the similar adverts recently created by RTE radio to promote the power of media advertising and it's ability to create a visual medium, whilst the concept and even the impact of this ad, like the other similar ones, is quite inspired and effective, is there anyone else that find it's somewhat irritiating to find the advert voiced in a broad Dublin accent by either Eamonn Morrisey or an Eamonn Morrisssey soundalike for all the world sounding like Flann O'Brien about to tell ya that "Da brudder" reakons a pint of plain is yer only man and whatever about the visual imagery the concept of a one eyebrowed ginger haired naked 300lbs half Samoan is supposed to conjure up, much of the impact of this is lost by using such a strong Dublin voiceover to project the script (Which tends to be a most irritating trait of much of RTE and the Irish radio advertising output in any case where they tend to use either the Inner city Dub or the D4 or AA roadwatch type voice overs and all the goys in the ad seem to be called Conor or Fiachra and the girls seem to be called Emily or Sinead or Roisin or something like that who can never seem to properly pronounce the names of places outside of the M50) , or am I missing something and is this supposed to be part of the arty ironic inverse inside joke of the advert?
And they say radio is the best visual media or similar wording. I wonder what the ASAI would think of that....

B

birthday

Just heard an ad on RTE radio 1 at 12.17 for 'the power of radio' involving the sound of a a woman groaning and a bed moving?
'Do you you hear the sound of a Victorian maid..toiling etc..'?

Well no, I heard the scene on the bed actually.
Whats this for? To generate publicity?
Whi is paying for this?

statsman

You're here discussing it. It worked.

borntorum

Heard that ad too a few days, it's a bit OTT. I got far more aroused than is healthy when listening to the Derek Mooney show

cricket

Retep , there's one thing you're definitely missing , punctuation.