The real mindset of today's unionists ?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
This was posted by Stars yesterday called Ulsters Betrayal. From listening to it you can get the sense of demoralisation and impending doom and gloom that unionism is going through -" For Ulster’s in the market, she may go at any price……To sell us slide by slide......For England would betray us " etc

I applaud the writer for showing the true feelings and expectations even though it obviously pains him so much. So, is it not time for other unionists to follow and show us the real face of unionism today ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_EmfQSGu2Y]YouTube - Ken Kerr - Ulsters Betrayal[/ame]

SevenStars

The most honest and informative Unionist poster....Sharpcut...has now sadly been banned, though his straight forward and sometimes penetrative mind showed strong marks of the time in spent in England so he wasnt that representive of Unionism....Unionists here always lecture about not understanding them, blah, blah, blah and yet never attempt to explain what they are about accept for obvious lies of Unionism being about cosmopolitanism and tolerance...Its obvious that they dont want to be understood.

Lord Muck Savage

For a moment I thought I was listening to one of those whinging sh*tty republicans hate ballads (sounds just like one) until I realised that the lyrics were tailored to Loyalists whinging sentiments instead.
When it comes to whinging… (Ah look at me I so hard done by… nobody loves us anymore…I died in the war for England…aw), both fractions up there (NI) are so alike. Apart from the fact that this loathsome display of self pity is so un-British (stiff upper lip and all that) it’s just embarrassing to listen to.

Frankly, some people up there ought to fücking grow up. Nobody outside gives a toss, if you want to improve your society you’ve got to work at it yourself, irrespective of the union you’re in (UK, EU, or whatever) nobody owes you a living, even the idiot Europhiles in the ROI are now beginning to realise that fact.

Time to sing from a different hymn sheet, is it not?

vinoboy

This song is sentimental twaddle ,however ,there is always in the NI Unionist psyche that they will be "sold out" .
We all now have a settlement whilst imperfect is bringing some stability to our benighted land .Key issue for all folk across Europe is economic survival and we could all do without the immaturity which is shown at times by our political leaders .I am feeling relaxed about the state of the union but not relaxed over the future for all of us in these uncertain economic times.And......I do not wish to see ROI go down the economic plughole and hope things stabilise soon for the ordinary citizens.

Northern Voice

That song is pre-GFA is it not? Hardly has any relevance these days. Still not as self indulgent as most so called Republican music however.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
For a moment I thought I was listening to one of those whinging sh*tty republicans hate ballads (sounds just like one) until I realised that the lyrics were tailored to Loyalists whinging sentiments instead.
Just goes to show how thick this idiot is when he couldn't grasp that the song was about unionism from the introduction " From listening to it you can get the sense of demoralisation and impending doom and gloom that unionism is going through " :lol:

When it comes to whinging… (Ah look at me I so hard done by… nobody loves us anymore…I died in the war for England…aw), both fractions up there (NI) are so alike. Apart from the fact that this loathsome display of self pity is so un-British (stiff upper lip and all that) it’s just embarrassing to listen to.
:rolleyes: Troll. Your username says it all child.

Frankly, some people up there ought to fücking grow up. Nobody outside gives a toss, if you want to improve your society you’ve got to work at it yourself, irrespective of the union you’re in (UK, EU, or whatever) nobody owes you a living, even the idiot Europhiles in the ROI are now beginning to realise that fact.

Time to sing from a different hymn sheet, is it not?
If Nobody outside gives a toss - what are you doing posting on the NI forum ? Your a clown kid, a total clown.

Last edited:

SevenStars

That song is pre-GFA is it not? Hardly has any relevance these days. Still not as self indulgent as most so called Republican music however.
Ah yeah...."Self-indulgent", because it expresses a wider spectrum of emotions possibly than Rab C and the Thornlie Boys or Dolly's Brae?

Its a great song however demented Loyalism maybe.

Ard Eoin

its no worse than some of the crap sang on the nationalist side...its all bollix....all of it...

SevenStars

Yeah, yeah.....Your grand wee lil country is now southern England...

Oh no actually the occupied six counties is the most improvished part of the glorious UK outside of occupied Cornwall and the reason you are doing better than him is because you have a basket case economy where people are paid to turn up and sit at desks and pretend to be civil servants...

How are the shipyards doing? And the linen industry? And the tyre factories?

Oops....And to think you could still have it all.

fluffykontbiscuits

Yeah, yeah.....Your grand wee lil country is now southern England...

Oh no actually the occupied six counties is the most improvished part of the glorious UK outside of occupied Cornwall and the reason you are doing better than him is because you have a basket case economy where people are paid to turn up and sit at desks and pretend to be civil servants...

How are the shipyards doing? And the linen industry? And the tyre factories?

Oops....And to think you could still have it all
Imagine what they could save if they cut down on the policing bill SS

SevenStars

Yeah 40 per cent of MI5's budget is taken up with Ireland....Both north and south.

Just imagine how much money they would save if they withdrew???

fluffykontbiscuits

Yeah 40 per cent of MI5's budget is taken up with Ireland....Both north and south.

Just imagine how much money they would save if they withdrew???
And what would we replace money with in the ensuing internal strife? I know we could all barter or perhaps this?

damon

What a stupid thread to start. NI is different to the Republic. Get over it.
Or at least it is in the bit I spend most of my time in.
And I don't say that for any ideological reasons. I spent a couple of months in Dublin earlier in the year. Hanging about Parnell Street, Talbot Street and Moore Street market all day, and walking all over the city and taking buses and the Luas.
Dublin is a different world to Belfast. Here we watch the BBC and listen to Radio Five and Talk Sport radio. Read UK newspapers and NI ones - watch Channel 4 News and Newsnight. Have no idea about any election coming up in Donegal sometime soon.
Don't know who the leader of Fina Gale is, or the Labour party - and don't really care any more than wishing to know about the politicians of Belgium.
If a person really wanted to know about these things, they could look them up on google, but most people are not bothered.

Squabbling about the border is as pointless as Sweeden and Norway having some bitter border dispute over where the line should run, or whether they should even be two countries. Republicans to me sound like those Hungarian nationalists who wish they could have Greater Hungary back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Hungary_(political_concept)

The ''Slab Murphy's'' of Ireland are doing nothing to bring a UI closer, as they are a big turn off for unionists who wouldn't want to have anything to do with people like that.

Scipio

And I don't say that for any ideological reasons. I spent a couple of months in Dublin earlier in the year. Hanging about Parnell Street, Talbot Street and Moore Street market all day, and walking all over the city and taking buses and the Luas.
Dublin is a different world to Belfast. Here we watch the BBC and listen to Radio Five and Talk Sport radio. Read UK newspapers and NI ones - watch Channel 4 News and Newsnight. Have no idea about any election coming up in Donegal sometime soon.
Don't know who the leader of Fina Gale is, or the Labour party - and don't really care any more than wishing to know about the politicians of Belgium.
If a person really wanted to know about these things, they could look them up on google, but most people are not bothered.

Squabbling about the border is as pointless as Sweeden and Norway having some bitter border dispute over where the line should run, or whether they should even be two countries. Republicans to me sound like those Hungarian nationalists who wish they could have Greater Hungary back.

The ''Slab Murphy's'' of Ireland are doing nothing to bring a UI closer, as they are a big turn off for unionists who wouldn't want to have anything to do with people like that.
Strangely enough, the Irish Times is available in most corner stores in Northern Ireland (even in North Antrim). RTE, TV3 and TG4 are also widely available, and watched.

On the Belfast Telegraph's website, the North's premier Unionist paper, news stories from the Republic are regularly reported, indeed they come just after Northern Ireland and before the rest of the UK on the front page.

All of which would raise serious doubts about the blanket claims you've just made, but sure you'd never be arguing from an ideological viewpoint Damon, would you.

damon

It's not an ideological point of view Scipio, it's just the way I see it. I'm sure it's different in the border areas where people are back and forth across the border without even noticing. And always have bouth pounds and euros on them.

I can't think of any place here that I've been that actually feels like Finglas for example.
And you don't have Irish born beggars sitting on the bridges which has been a feature of Dublin for decades.

See this guy squatting down on O'Connell bridge for example - I actually know him. He's never worked a day in his life and has drug problems.
You don't see guys like that on the streets of central Belfast for some reason.
BBC News - Ireland 'in preliminary talks with EU on bail-out'

Scipio

i can't think of any place here that i've been that actually feels like finglas for example.
And you don't have irish born beggars sitting on the bridges which has been a feature of dublin for decades.

See this guy squatting down on o'connell bridge for example - i actually know him. He's never worked a day in his life and has drug problems.
You don't see guys like that on the streets of central belfast for some reason.
bbc news - ireland 'in preliminary talks with eu on bail-out'
lol

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie

Our English Walter Mitty. This is the guy who claims to hang around Ardoyne and Short Strand and no one seems to notice his English accent :) Do you also lecture them on how wonderful the British sense of fairplay is and discuss Gaelic games and the Late Late Show and how Gerry Adams will do in Louth etc ? :rolleyes:

damon

I don't ''hang about'' them two places much anymore. I walked around much more in the summer when I was still getting to know the city. And why should anyone be concerned by a person with an English accent? Anymore than you'd expect people in London to have made an issue of my parent's Irish accents when they immigrated to England at the end of the 1950's? Are you suggesting that people in Ardoyne and Short Strand are a bunch of small minded parochials?

Is it really so odd to travel about all corners of a new city you have moved to, to get to know the place?
Slab Murphy, your idea of Ireland is one that sounds rather horrible. Sectarian, chauvinist and brutal.

There's nothing wrong with giving subjective opinion about how a place looks and feels. To compare Dublin, Belfast, Cardiff and Glasgow for example. They have much in common, but there are also very real differences too.

And in my opinion, of those four cities, Dublin is the one that has least in common with the other three.
What's wrong with saying that?

New Threads

Most Replies