The relationship between Birds and Dinosaurs.

Black Swan

The feathers (as an evolution of the scale) always had the dual use of insulation (body heat and egg incubation) as well as lightness and balance (air resistance), as part of the evolution of the bipedal form. The (Theropod) Dinosaurs that survived to become Birds, were those who were building their nests, laying their eggs and taking refuge in trees.

I bet that's how it happened. :)

RepublicOfLuas

The feathers (as an evolution of the scale) always had the dual use of insulation (body heat and egg incubation) as well as lightness and balance (air resistance), as part of the evolution of the bipedal form. The (Theropod) Dinosaurs that survived to become Birds, were those who were building their nests, laying their eggs and taking refuge in trees.

Maybe Seagulls are so angry and aggressive because they used to have tiny little hands like a t-rex.

Black Swan

Maybe Seagulls are so angry and aggressive because they used to have tiny little hands like a t-rex.
What is most interesting is how many derivatives of the bipedal form became quadrupedal or semi-quadrupedal (Sauropoda/Stegosauria/Ceratopsia/Ankylosauria/Hadrosaurids); across the Saurischian and Ornithiscian clades.

Last edited:

RepublicOfLuas

What is most interesting is how many derivatives of the bipedal form became quadrupedal or semi-quadrupedal (Sauropoda/Stegosauria/Ceratopsia/Hadrosaurids); across the Saurischian and Ornithiscian clades.
Evolution is open-ended. Can only imagine what humans will end up like when our comet comes to wipe us out.

razorblade

Indeed science has proven that the modern birds are descended from dinosaurs.

SideysGhost

Errr this was known decades ago, is p.ie seriously only catching up to this now?

Lonewolfe

Question is, will domestic dogs evolve to have bald heads as a result of human head rubbing?

D

Deleted member 45466

[video=youtube;IiUPbqBxvr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUPbqBxvr0[/video]

Black Swan

Errr this was known decades ago, is p.ie seriously only catching up to this now?
The OP considers the evolutionary role of feathers in non-flying ancestral forms, which lead to the emergence of flight.

I am interested in what the stages looked like as it unfolded.

Black Swan

I wonder how far feathers go back.

Were they there before the ancestral bipedal forms from which Saurischia/Ornithischia emerged?

Was their role in temperature regulation and balance a key contributor to fast bipedal locomotion?

Did a whole spectrum of quadrupeds in which feathers had begun to evolve, exist before the ancestral bipedal Dinosaur emerged?

Life in trees seems to be the literal springboard by which feathers really came into their own in those species that became modern birds.

Was climbing and nesting in trees (or rocky outcrops etc.) what led what became birds to literally 'take off', due to an already substantially developed aerodynamic form?

GDPR

No trees on flat earth? ;)

D

Deleted member 42179

Thought it was a thread about chicks dating rich older men. meh! :p

Black Swan

Another interesting parallel is the 'bird-hip', for which Ornithischians are named and who appear to have been exclusively herbivorous. It seems to have to do with supporting the larger gut required to digest plant material.

I wonder if the convergent evolution of this hip type was due to the fact that ancestral birds were also exclusively herbivorous.

Beaks also show up in both types.

The Furcula (wishbone) is also an interesting skeletal development concerning flight.

Black Swan

Then we have penguins on the other end of the spectrum.

This line of animals has really been around the block. :)

razorblade

You could count crocodiles as a form of dinosaurs they certainly were living around about the same time as them.

Black Swan

You could count crocodiles as a form of dinosaurs they certainly were living around about the same time as them.
I think you mean one could count both Crocodiles and Dinosaurs as a form of Archosaur.

Black Swan

Pterosaurs are another entire dimension which are usually lumped into the general concept of 'Dinosaurs'.

Besides Archosaurs, the only other flying animals are insects and bats.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies