• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The reopening of the Cork-Midleton railway line

absconded

It´s a big pricetag, but apart from that I reckon it has to be capable of taking a lot of traffic off the road. Nice one!

locke

It baffles me how the price tag ever got so high.

It's only a 10km extension, it's single-track and the land it was built on was already in state hands. But I guess overpaying for things like that was part of what this country was back then.

It's a pity the rest of the project (new stations in Dunkettle, Blackpool and Blarney) is on hold because of budget cutbacks, but seeing as those are new stations on existing lines, it shouldn't be too much hassle to get them built in the medium-term future.

Middleaged

I vaguely travelling from Kent to Youghal on a train, you are right its good news.

absconded

It baffles me how the price tag ever got so high.

It's only a 10km extension, it's single-track and the land it was built on was already in state hands. But I guess overpaying for things like that was part of what this country was back then.

It's a pity the rest of the project (new stations in Dunkettle, Blackpool and Blarney) is on hold because of budget cutbacks, but seeing as those are new stations on existing lines, it shouldn't be too much hassle to get them built in the medium-term future.
Single line track you say, is there room to lay more track in the future if required?
The plan is for extension to Youghal in the distant future, no?

locke

The land out to Youghal is being retained and the County Council have agreed not to give planning permission for anything to be built within 10m of it. I don't think there's any definite plans to do anything yet.

I was a bit surprised by the single-track too, but it keeps the cost down. However, they say they can run a train every 15 minutes on it, so combining that with the possibility for longer trains, it would be possible to increase the start-up capacity six-fold. It would be surprising if it ever became that heavily used, but I guess if it did, the investment to double-tracking would become self-justifying (if a bit of a pain when they hit the point when they need to lay a new track).

locke

Day 1 is not going well...

40 minute delays because of overcrowding.

Perhaps they shouldn't have made it free for the day.

absconded

7.5m per km

Or about 5 times more expensive per km than the Limerick-Galway link due to open in September.
Yeah, on the face of it, it´s a phenomonal price per km. I´m sure someone can justify it somewhere. Extension to youghal if it came in at a realistic price might balance it a little.
I´d imagine though that now we will see the doubling of services to Little Island and Glounthane as they also have Cobh trains passing.

Grumpy Jack

Yeah, on the face of it, it´s a phenomonal price per km. I´m sure someone can justify it somewhere. Extension to youghal if it came in at a realistic price might balance it a little.
I´d imagine though that now we will see the doubling of services to Little Island and Glounthane as they also have Cobh trains passing.
Is this the same absconded who opposes building Metro North?

Now advocating building a rail line through an area with a relatively low population, relative to Ballymun or Swords that is.

Interesting. Do you live in East Cork, per chance?

Flango

Railways aren't priced per km though - one of the most expensive parts are the stations, at about 10-30 million each. Since this is a commuter railway with several stations, it costs more than the same distance of rural line.

And €75 million strikes me as a very reasonable price for what you get - this is the type of good public transport scheme we should be encouraging.

locke

7.5m per km

Or about 5 times more expensive per km than the Limerick-Galway link due to open in September.
With the Ennis-Athenry line, they're doing the minimum required to open it.

So, they're not getting rid of level crossings etc., which means it's less safe, costlier to run and the trains will be slower.

Now, the official reason is that the trains will be travelling so frequently betweem Cork and Glounethaune that the gates would almost always be down (although how that applies to the Merrion Gates...), while the WRC will only see 3 or 4 trains a day.

The suspicion has to be that at best they don't expect the WRC to succeed and don't want to waste money on doing it properly. A more cynical attitude would say that by making it run so slowly, they're trying to discourage it from succeeding so that they don't have to do the bits north of Athenry.

absconded

Is this the same absconded who opposes building Metro North?

Now advocating building a rail line through an area with a relatively low population, relative to Ballymun or Swords that is.

Interesting. Do you live in East Cork, per chance?
Are you trying to make a point or just talking rubbish as usual.
There is no comparison between the cost of this project, although probably too expensive and MN which will cost €350,000 per metre over 17,000 metres versus Midleton line €7,500 per metre over 10,000 metres.
I´m a fan of light rail, suburban routes and trams as you know, where they will be used. This is suburban rail. I don´t live in East Cork by the way, but I probably know it better than you.

BluntGuy

And €75 million strikes me as a very reasonable price for what you get - this is the type of good public transport scheme we should be encouraging.
Very much agreed.

This is a service which will be used by a sizeable number of people relative to the capacity of the line and should have at least some positive impact on the quality of life for people using the service.

Also, in relation to the overall Cork Commuter Rail Scheme; the proposed station at Dunkettle can simply not be built until they sort out that god-awful roundabout junction between the N8, M8 and N25. It's horribly under-capacity and adding a park and ride train station will only add to the chaos present at the moment.

alonso

There is no comparison between the cost of this project, although probably too expensive and MN which will cost €350,000 per metre over 17,000 metres versus Midleton line €7,500 per metre over 10,000 metres.
I´m a fan of light rail, suburban routes and trams as you know, where they will be used. This is suburban rail. I don´t live in East Cork by the way, but I probably know it better than you.
So today it will cost E5.95Bn even though the tenders are 2Bn?
Weird

Good news all round though. I would advocate suburban rail or light rail for all sides of Cork City.

Grumpy Jack

Take a chill pill. I was jesting. Seemed funny to me.

absconded

So today it will cost E5.95Bn even though the tenders are 2Bn?
Weird

Good news all round though. I would advocate suburban rail or light rail for all sides of Cork City.
The build for MN is €2,000,000,000+, build and operate €5,000,000,000+
Thats the best estimate in the public domain to date.
No comparison whatsoever to the cost of Midleton line which we know cost €75,000,000.
But yes agreed, good news all round on the Midleton line.

alonso

Oh but at operating stage they also collect fares and ad revenue. Did you not know that? and 75m is only the build cost so you;re not comparing like wiht like. Plus Mn will have a much greater social benefit to Dublin and the State as it will serve a multiple the times of people this one will

Go back to the Metro thread and publish all the evidence for your statement that Metro will cost anyone anywhere near 5 billion. Please, for all our sakes...

Interestingly enough i think the DART cost exactly 75million in 1984 - different currnecy and incomparable really but weird coincidence all the same