• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The resignation of Paul Elliott, FA anti-racism campaigner- racism or worst insult possible?

LamportsEdge

An issue has come up on another thread which makes me wonder whether Paul Elliott was being racist when he sent a derogatory text to Richard Rufus during a heated argument over a failed business deal. 'The Football Association has accepted the resignation of anti-racism campaigner Paul Elliott from all his positions within the organisation after he made “discriminatory abusive comments”.' Paul Elliott quits FA post after Richard Rufus race row - News & Comment - Football - The Independent

Given the recent furore over the John Terry affair are we now in a position where anyone in a heated argument throwing the worst insult possible can be accused of racism?

Or do other posters feel that sometimes the worst racist insults are thrown not for racist reasons but to hurt as much as possible?

Last edited:

bob3344

An issue has come up on another thread which makes me wonder whether Paul Elliot was being racist when he sent a derogatory text to Richard Rufus during a heated argument over a failed business deal. 'The Football Association has accepted the resignation of anti-racism campaigner Paul Elliott from all his positions within the organisation after he made “discriminatory abusive comments”.' Paul Elliott quits FA post after Richard Rufus race row - News & Comment - Football - The Independent

Given the recent furore over the John Terry affair are we now in a position where anyone in a heated argument throwing the worst insult possible can be accused of racism?

Or do other posters feel that sometimes the worst racist insults are thrown not for racist reasons but to hurt as much as possible?
Paul Elliot is black too.

Deserves the sack for being a complete moron though.

Nice to see one of the people feasting on the racism gravy train getting tripped up.

LamportsEdge

I thought it was interesting that the FA made the statement about '“discriminatory abusive comments'.

Are the FA really under the impression that Paul Elliot, a very fine player by the way in his day, is actually a 'racist'? I'm aware he is black and this is what makes the whole thing interesting.

I mean the FA didn't say they accepted his resignation because he was stupid- they actually seemed to say it was because of 'discriminatory' comments.

Does the FA believe Paul Elliott was exhibiting discriminatory behaviour?

Ribeye

What did he say?

friendlyfire

It is a pity has been at the forefront for years...wish him well in the future.

LamportsEdge

What did he say?
Probably unrepeatable on this forum to be honest. But I have heard it was as vile a comment as you can imagine. The thing is that Paul Elliott has been at the forefront of the Kick Racism Out campaign for years and clearly he isn't a racist. But the FA statement seems to indicate that his use of a racist term in an argument/text with Richard Rufus means he can't front the campaign or work at the FA any longer.

I don't think for one second Elliott is a racist- it would be bizarre. So why did the FA accept his resignation for 'discriminatory' comments when they must know he doesn't discriminate on grounds of race?

LamportsEdge

Does this mean that in a children's playground- which can be cruel places in terms of taunts- one child uses a racist term to another then they must be racist? Or are they just using the cruellest insult they can find in the heat of a moment?

It is a strange one.

bob3344

Does this mean that in a children's playground- which can be cruel places in terms of taunts- one child uses a racist term to another then they must be racist? Or are they just using the cruellest insult they can find in the heat of a moment?
Children as young as three years old, are being reported by schools to local authorities for using racist and homophobic language which brands them as bigots.
Op-Ed: Nursery school children reported for racist language in UK

One kid calls another a gaylord & his name is entered into a file. Creepy.

Last edited:

LamportsEdge

One wonders when an upset teenage girl shouting 'I hate you!' at her parents will be prosecuted for threatening behaviour.

This thing of slapping labels on people who say something stupid in the heat of an argument- which invariably they will hate themselves and end up apologising for is going too far in my opinion.

Paul Elliott was a very good speaker on issues around football and football culture and I'm not sure he should have been forced to resign.

Why wasn't he given the opportunity to apologise and explain that in the heat of the moment in the middle of an argument that he lost the run of himself he said something he shouldn't have done in order to hurt?

I don't believe for a moment that anyone around football or wider society thinks that Paul Elliott discriminates on the grounds of race. It is absurd. The Kick It Out campaign and the FA have lost a good advocate on silly grounds.

crossman

One wonders when an upset teenage girl shouting 'I hate you!' at her parents will be prosecuted for threatening behaviour.

This thing of slapping labels on people who say something stupid in the heat of an argument- which invariably they will hate themselves and end up apologising for is going too far in my opinion.

Paul Elliott was a very good speaker on issues around football and football culture and I'm not sure he should have been forced to resign.

Why wasn't he given the opportunity to apologise and explain that in the heat of the moment in the middle of an argument that he lost the run of himself he said something he shouldn't have done in order to hurt?

I don't believe for a moment that anyone around football or wider society thinks that Paul Elliott discriminates on the grounds of race. It is absurd. The Kick It Out campaign and the FA have lost a good advocate on silly grounds.
I agree. This racism thing has become ridiculous. You can break a mans leg and not receive as severe a punishment as you would get for a remark in the heat of the moment.

Ribeye

The idea that we can discuss this without knowing what he said is silly,

eyelight

FA chairman David Bernstein said the former Celtic player's position was "untenable" after Elliott texted a racial insult to former Charlton player Richard Rufus in a row over a failed business venture. Both Elliott and Rufus are black.

"Ur a stupid man n*gger”, and a further message said: “You dog. Ur history my friend.” Elliott allegedly ended the argument with a final text reading: “This will follow you scumbag.”

Probably unrepeatable on this forum to be honest. But I have heard it was as vile a comment as you can imagine.
Ah now. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

LamportsEdge

Well I've been told what it was but the phrase would be rejected or asterisked out here so effectively it would be the same thing as being assumed to be guilty of racism rather than discussing the use of the epithet.

I've been told it was 'Dumb N****r' was the phrase Elliott used to another black former player which caused the furore. Both former players are black and we know from popular music the word has been used by black hip-hop musicians and other artists and in the street as a way of claiming it back from racists.

If a white player had sent it to a black player I could understand certainly his having to resign immediately- but I'm not at all sure that Ellliott and Rufus shouldn't have been allowed some time to sort this out.

eyelight

If a white player had sent it to a black player I could understand certainly his having to resign immediately- but I'm not at all sure that Ellliott and Rufus shouldn't have been allowed some time to sort this out.
Special rules for the black folks?

Ribeye

Ah now. That's a bit of an exaggeration.
Well I've been told what it was but the phrase would be rejected or asterisked out here so effectively it would be the same thing as being assumed to be guilty of racism rather than discussing the use of the epithet.

I've been told it was 'Dumb N****r' was the phrase Elliott used to another black former player which caused the furore. Both former players are black and we know from popular music the word has been used by black hip-hop musicians and other artists and in the street as a way of claiming it back from racists.

Tks,

What a load of rubbish, that's not even remotely racist,

He should get his makey up job back,

The FA are such lemons about this race issue,

"oh no, a grown man has just called another grown man a name during a sports game"

"omg, quick, call Scotland Yard"

Idiots,

LamportsEdge

Mm- I was at the next game Dean Saunders played at the Bridge and he did get boo'ed off pretty heavily. If memory serves he was taken off the pitch because of the barracking he was getting.

Terrible tackle on Elliott.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies