• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The return of 14% Bond Rates and Bank Runs a growing prospect for Ireland!

IbrahaimMohamad

The prospect of a return of Fianna Fáil Government should strike fear into the heart of every sane Irish person just as it terrifies every depositor, every bondholder, and as it should terrify every worker and person supported by the State's borrowed funds.

"There is a fairer way to recovery that would impact less on the vulnerable " or so Fianna Fáil are telling us these days in their bid to return to power and Government.

The Fianna Fáil strategy is based on buying their way back to power even though there is no money to buy votes with. This can only lead to another another Financial mess that they left behind them when last in power.

It seems that they want to return to power and so they tell us they can fix what they broke even though they could not fix it when in Government.

They said that money could not be borrowed cheaper and that debt deals could not be secured.

The overwhelming likelihood of a Fianna Fáil by-election win in East Meath is bound to unnerve the markets if they conclude that the majority of voters no longer support the Government parties.

The Fianna Fáil strategy is based on buying their way back to power even though there is no money to buy votes with. This can only lead to another another Financial mess that they left behind them when last in power.

The key to the outcome of the Meath By-election depends on whether Fianna Fáil win transfers from other parties namely Labour and Sinn Féin who are the real King Makers. These voters have the power to determine the outcome! Will they stop Michael and Thomas.

Fine Gael now know that they are trailing Fianna Fáil and only the Sinn Féin voters now can stop Fianna Fáil.

Michael Martin is very confident of a win in Meath East putting him back on the road to becoming Taoiseach in as little as 6 months!

"After another morn in #mhe13 it really is impossible to overstate disconnect between people's experience and what they're being told by Government" Micháel Martin Twitter

sic transit

Well that's summed up the world nicely. A bit of evidence of any of this might not go amiss here never mind a hint of understanding why we had 14% bond rates.

IbrahaimMohamad

Well that's summed up the world nicely. A bit of evidence of any of this might not go amiss here never mind a hint of understanding why we had 14% bond rates.
A Government committed to buying votes and power is a sure route to ruin ! Have you forgotten so soon or are you too looking for a "softer fairer way" and ready to trade your vote for ruin?

How do you expect investors to react to Fianna Fáil getting 50% or more of the votes in any Irish Election?

People don't leave their deposits in Irish Banks under Fianna Fáil!

Howya

No hyberbole in that post at all.

Howya

A Government committed to buying votes and power is a sure route to ruin ! Have you forgotten so soon or are you too looking for a "softer fairer way" and ready to trade your vote for ruin?

How do you expect investors to react to Fianna Fáil getting 50% or more of the votes in any Irish Election?
Any FG seems to be doing a remarkable job copying FF despite the voters mandate for change.

Analyzer

"After another morn in #mhe13 it really is impossible to overstate disconnect between people's experience and what they're being told by Government" Micháel Martin Twitter
You know that somebody badly needs to get a grip, when they are reading the Twitter comments of Meehaul Martin....and taking them seriously.

IbrahaimMohamad

Any FG seems to be doing a remarkable job copying FF despite the voters mandate for change.
"Change" is a great political buzzword!

There is no magic bullet!

There is reality and real progress!

A Fianna Fáil Government that would not impose a property tax, not reduce Childrens allowance, not make any cute but give everyone an easier ride would only lead to ruin.

borntorum

Well, at least the OPer is now starting crazy threads about FF based on relatively contemporary politics, rather than bizarre attacks about the Civil War

Shqiptar

If I had a vote in the by-election, I really don't know who I'd vote for. I think I'd give the FFer the lowest preference and then randomly work my way up.

I do think that all other parties need to engage in a concerted campaign to remind the nation what FF did to the country. The Sinn Féiners need to realise that they won't win votes from FG. They're fighting for the same ground as FF so they should be focusing a lot of their fire a few rows down on the opposition benches.

Plebian

It's what FF did and not what they'd do now that's the reason people should never vote for FF again. It's clear that they'd do much the same things in Govt if they got in now, as FG and Labour are doing now. They'd just be a bit better at managing the PR side of it.

FF should never ever be forgiven for saddling people with enormous inflated mortgages because of their ( FFs ) love affair with property, developers and financiers. Economically illiterate doesn't come close to describing their sabotage of the country, but they would be as competent at cleaning up the mess as FG/LAB, and just as untrustworthy if not more so with the process of selling off State Assets to do so..

IbrahaimMohamad

If I had a vote in the by-election, I really don't know who I'd vote for. I think I'd give the FFer the lowest preference and then randomly work my way up.

I do think that all other parties need to engage in a concerted campaign to remind the nation what FF did to the country. The Sinn Féiners need to realise that they won't win votes from FG. They're fighting for the same ground as FF so they should be focusing a lot of their fire a few rows down on the opposition benches.
Expect a very low turnout under 50%. There will be a lot of apathy and anger in the large urban areas. Fianna Fáil are very excited.

Would you leave money in an Irish Bank under a Fianna Fáil Government?

How much sympathy would the EU partners have for the Irish People "up the creek" under another Fianna Fáil Government?

IbrahaimMohamad

It's what FF did and not what they'd do now that's the reason people should never vote for FF again. It's clear that they'd do much the same things in Govt if they got in now, as FG and Labour are doing now. They'd just be a bit better at managing the PR side of it.

FF should never ever be forgiven for saddling people with enormous inflated mortgages because of their ( FFs ) love affair with property, developers and financiers. Economically illiterate doesn't come close to describing their sabotage of the country, but they would be as competent at cleaning up the mess as FG/LAB, and just as untrustworthy if not more so with the process of selling off State Assets to do so..
Fianna Fáil will promise anything and doanything to buy votes and power.

Rocky

It's interesting, but I wonder do people really care. You get this bizarre mindset that we punished Fianna Fail, by not voting for them, but they've taken their punishment now and we should bring them back again.

Beyond that I don't think Irish people have really learned anything from what happened. Rather than facing up to the the fact that the state's budgetary policy from 2001-2007 was completely unsusbtainable, they've just blamed all our problems on Bankers, or the Germans, or the EU or Bertie Ahern and they still believe we can go back to 2001-2007 and Fianna Fail will bring us there and if it wasn't for the evil bankers everything would still be fine. It's nonsense.

I honestly believe Fine Gael and Labour are trying to drag this country into the real world and into the future, but they really have to fight each step of the way in doing that. Random examples like the closure of Garda Stations and the reaction to John Moran's statement on repossessions, just show how much is still wrong with the mindset of people in this country and political discourse in this country. I think the lack of a decent media and an opposition party that don't just attack every single cut/tax increase and nothing else, also do this state a great disservice, but I think it all falls down to the people in the end.

GDPR

A Government committed to buying votes and power is a sure route to ruin !
Is it?

Do you mean like,
Our way or Frankfurts way
or
The Roscommon hospital way
or
the no increase in third level fees way
or
the burn the bondholders way
or
The not another cent way
or
The no income tax increase way

or
All of the above?

Plebian

Fianna Fáil will promise anything and doanything to buy votes and power.
That sounds familiar. They're cute-hoor sly motherfkrs, who'll do anything to get back in control. But! There will be no money to throw around, and no means to avoid balancing the budget for at least another decade and further on. So the question is, would they be as efficient, more efficient or less efficient in cleaning up the mess. The answer would be, that they'd be similar to FGs efforts but slicker on the PR front. They still don't deserve that chance, ever. I'd rather FGs ugliness than FFs sliminess, but I still hate both with a passion, they're just two different political wings of the Golden Circle and the ripples that spread out from there.

IbrahaimMohamad

That sounds familiar. They're cute-hoor sly motherfkrs, who'll do anything to get back in control. But! There will be no money to throw around, and no means to avoid balancing the budget for at least another decade and further on. So the question is, would they be as efficient, more efficient or less efficient in cleaning up the mess. The answer would be, that they'd be similar to FGs efforts but slicker on the PR front. They still don't deserve that chance, ever. I'd rather FGs ugliness than FFs sliminess, but I still hate both with a passion, they're just two different political wings of the Golden Circle and the ripples that spread out from there.
If Fianna Fáil were capable of running the Country Depositors would not have taken their money from Irish Banks and The State would have been able to borrow money on the markets.

The markets refused to lend money to a Fianna Fáil Government. They would not trust them in the future.

What the markets think of a Government is very important for vulnerable people!

Rocky

To this point Fine Gael/Labour have been at lot more efficient at cleaning up the mess. Probably a bit worse on the PR front though.

The thing about Irish politics is though, the key to being efficient on the PR front, is just don't do anything. Then none of the interest groups, who all want to protect the status quo or simply get their area more money will attack you.

GDPR

To this point Fine Gael/Labour have been at lot more efficient at cleaning up the mess. Probably a bit worse on the PR front though.
Bringing in 2 regressive budgets while taking less money out after the last Governments 3 progressive budgets while taking much more out, is a little more that bad PR.

IbrahaimMohamad

Bringing in 2 regressive budgets while taking less money out after the last Governments 3 progressive budgets while taking much more out, is a little more that bad PR.

A flight of deposits form Banks under Fianna Fáil and 14% bond rates is way outside the scope of PR.

Fianna Fáil is not capable of running the State. They still insist on keeping Michael Martin as leader.

Ireland and Meath East the Bondholders are watching you!