The reverse bucket (tekcub?) list.

OK, I've been a somewhat morose individual lately. Things in real life intruding on my serene passage to the night.

I'm aware of the whole thing about bucket lists, and in my morosity thought that there is a depressing element to them in that many may never be completed; whether completing the list releases one to lie down and sleep; whether these things are necessary for completion (yup, that's the morose thing kicking in).

So. A list of life highlights rather than a list of things yet to happen (all in no particular order):

• First deep kiss (a shock as I was the passive one);
  • Meeting my wife for the first time;
  • Flying for the first time;
  • Jumping from a 'plane for the first time;
  • First orgasm;
  • Births of children;
  • Standing on the rostrum while the New York Phillie tuned up;
  • Seeing REM in front of a small crowd;
  • Seeing Peter Gabriel, Goldfrapp, Echo and the Bunnymen in concert;
  • Watching Koyaanisqatsi for the first time;
  • Seeing a Baobab tree immolate;
  • Getting promotions in work;
  • Graduation ceremonies;
  • Learning to cook;
  • Being physically threatened by Raphael Burke (lots of fun);
  • Surviving a head-on at 70 mph;
  • My first day at work;
  • Passing my driving test;
  • Dreaming in French.

Some small and some significant. We must have more to add. Small moments which stick in the mind and enrich.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Dreaming in French' is a good one. Good title for a memoir as well.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
5 a.m. on summer mornings. One of the best being on a perfectly still July morning on an island in Roaringwater Bay looking across at Baltimore and a fox strolling past me damn near saying 'morning' as it went.

Rural

The two times I gave birth - Instant love and immense happiness.

The day I got married - I smile a lot usually, but my face was sore smiling.

At a young age when I realised that my singing voice could silence a room and give so much pleasure.

I can only dream in English though and my dreams were in black & white until we got a colour aerial!:)

RodShaft

The births of my children
Scoring a particular goal in a five a side in school
The moment I realised I had met my wife
McKay's goal in 1987 or 88
Dublin winning a Leinster title a few years ago
My first gig
A very personal present my father gave me. I sobbed like a child for hours
Learning Irish
My wedding day

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Getting out of bed healthy every morning ( obviously, have to start with low expectations and work my way up!) :shock:

Ellen Ripley

Getting out of bed healthy every morning ( obviously, have to start with low expectations and work my way up!) :shock:
A very good philosophy Rots; without that you'll have nothing.

Mine? Don't look back.

GDPR

A very good philosophy Rots; without that you'll have nothing.

Mine? Don't look back.
I'm always looking back, sometimes with regrets, but I try to use that regret to put things to rights where I can.

On the plus side thinking of my kids brings great pride and pleasure, it worries me slightly that I'm quite so invested in them, but remembering them for the kids they were and seeing them for the people they've grown into is as good as it gets for me.

Ellen Ripley

I'm always looking back, sometimes with regrets, but I try to use that regret to put things to rights where I can.

On the plus side thinking of my kids brings great pride and pleasure, it worries me slightly that I'm quite so invested in them, but remembering them for the kids they were and seeing them for the people they've grown into is as good as it gets for me.
You're correct of course--each phase of life brings its own contentment, and we only have now.

I'm probably not yet mature enough (in outlook!) to be able to reminisce about those times without thinking how I'd give a lot to have a single moment of them back. Knowing I'll never again stand in a garden and swing a little girl by the wrists while she squeals with delight brings a sharp pang of nostalgia..

GDPR

You're correct of course--each phase of life brings its own contentment, and we only have now.

I'm probably not yet mature enough (in outlook!) to be able to reminisce about those times without thinking how I'd give a lot to have a single moment of them back. Knowing I'll never again stand in a garden and swing a little girl by the wrists while she squeals with delight brings a sharp pang of nostalgia..
Indeed, but you have the memories and in the end that's all any of us get to keep.

Can there be any more joy than releasing them on the world?

Ellen Ripley

Indeed, but you have the memories and in the end that's all any of us get to keep.
Yep, we are lucky to have been dealt any aces at all in life, and we shouldn't regret having played them.

blokesbloke

The two times I gave birth - Instant love and immense happiness.

The day I got married - I smile a lot usually, but my face was sore smiling.

At a young age when I realised that my singing voice could silence a room and give so much pleasure.

I can only dream in English though and my dreams were in black & white until we got a colour aerial!:)
:D Is that true or is that a bit of artistic licence?

Ellen Ripley

blokesbloke

Absolutely true, but getting used to an almost empty house is still taking time.
:( Stay strong tonic mate. You'll get there.

A useful reminder of the human being behind the username here...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies