The Rich List 2018 - where are you placed amongst the Last of the Big Spenders...?

Catalpast

Just perusing the Sindo's 'Rich List 2018'

While there some old reliables like 'redacted' and DD there are also some surprising ones

The Richest Irish Citizens are actually a family from India - The Mistry Family

Should we admire these people for their obvious entrepreneurial skills

- envy them

- or condemn them for such opulent greed?

I suppose if they made it fair and square then I don't begrudge them anyway

- but would the responsibility of it all not keep you awake at night?

https://richlist.independent.ie/

gatsbygirl20

The Indo gives a list of the richest people in your county.... You'll be green with envy... Some quiet kid who sat next to you in a school pre-fab outside Tuam and ended up leaving school at 15 to do an AnCo course now owns half of London and plays polo with Prince Charles...

Lots of that kind of thing....

It's nice that people have more money than they know what to do with, and I'm sure we wish them all well..

But what exactly is the point of the Rich List? What is interesting about this knowledge? Are we supposed to grovel..... admire.... go green with envy..?

Catalpast

The Indo gives a list of the richest people in your county.... You'll be green with envy... Some quiet kid who sat next to you in a school pre-fab outside Tuam and ended up leaving school at 15 to do an AnCo course now owns half of London and plays polo with Prince Charles...

It's nice that people have more money than they know what to do with, and I'm sure we wish them all well..

But what exactly is the point of the Rich List? What is interesting about this knowledge? Are we supposed to grovel..... admire.... go green with envy..?
Dunno - but it makes for fascinating reading...

gerhard dengler

The Rich List concept was first started by the Sunday Times newspaper in the mid-1980's.

gleeful

There are a lot of rich people who never get covered in the media and don't get on lists. Some PR agencies charge serious money making sure their clients never get any press mention at all.

making waves

While there some old reliables like 'redacted' and DD there are also some surprising ones

- envy them

I would have thought you'd want them kicked out of the country so the native rich elites could get their hands on all that loot.

fergal1790

Nah, you are unlikely to have met any of these new rich Irish during your school days. Most of them have never set foot in Ireland and some probably think it is part of the UK!

There are a few who live full time in Ireland and I consider those the only people entitled to be on the Irish rich list!

There are a lot of rich people who never get covered in the media and don't get on lists. Some PR agencies charge serious money making sure their clients never get any press mention at all.
I'm one of those but I don't waste money on hiring a pr company, I just keep my hand on my ha'penny.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Philip Beresford is the chap who managed the Sunday Times Rich List for much of its existence so far. Irishman.

He likes a bit of mischief and whenever he speaks at conferences he likes to drop in the casual claim that Queen Elizabeth is the richest person in the world because she personally can count Australia and Canada among her assets.

This always causes cries of protest in that she can hardly put either territory up for sale in Loot or on eBay.

He just likes a bit of mischief with the notion. He says that they used to get as many outraged calls over underestimating someone's net worth as much as calls they used to get about over-estimating net wealth.

Catalpast

I would have thought you'd want them kicked out of the country so the native rich elites could get their hands on all that loot.
They don't really have that much of their wealth in this State

- they just have Irish passports so that if it all goes belly up

- they come and can stay here legally.

If it was up to you all of them would have all of their assets confiscated

- and what wasn't given to State run quangos packed with Party Activists

- would be spent on White Elephants

- and Black Babies!:p

*EPIC SUCCESS*

- envy them

No problem with someones wealth if earned fairly, no matter how much.

As for responsibility, its only money. We give it more credence than it deserves, its a unit of exchange, nothing more.

My children are worth more to me than the combined fortunes of people like Gates or Bezos.

Niall996

J

- envy them

The great thing about wealthy people is they buy quality expensive stuff that often provides jobs for skilled craftsmen, artists and artisans that wouldn't have a job without them. They do spend their money. And in doing so transfer it to the rest of us in hundreds of ways. Ask the well paid lads who hand build engines for supercars and who love their jobs what they think of the super wealthy. Or the guys who do the wood finishing on a luxury yacht. All those houses, cars, clothes, boats, planes etc are made, and served or fixed or decorated. Never envy the rich, celebrate them.

fat finger

Most of us aren't rich because we never learned how to spend money, at national school money lessons were mostly only about saving it and being economical, government needs to do more to teach kids how to spend it when you have lots of it

Last edited:

Politics matters

No problem with someones wealth if earned fairly, no matter how much.

As for responsibility, its only money. We give it more credence than it deserves, its a unit of exchange, nothing more.

My children are worth more to me than the combined fortunes of people like Gates or Bezos.

The majority of those on that list are only Irish for tax purposes. And thus shouldn't really be included on that list

A lot of the real Irish individuals on that list however made their money through corruption.

It's an insult to the Irish people that they and their large amounts of ill gotten gains are celebrated in such a way. I think we all know who I'm talking about.

Mushroom

People appear to like lists - and the Rich List is a bit like the INMO's trolley count, for grown ups.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies