• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Right to Strike? Not in Greece...

loaf

Interesting development in the austerity test-lab known as Greece, where a Metro strike has been broken up by riot police.

Greece breaks up Athens metro strike | World news | guardian.co.uk

State-run television showed police handing strikers civil mobilisation papers. The workers, who had defied court decisions labelling the action "illegal and abusive", face immediate arrest and loss of jobs if they refuse to return to work in the next 24 hours.
Much of the economic debate on p.ie seems to revolve around two radically opposed interpretations of austerity:

1. That it is merely an economic necessity - a pragmatic balancing of the books after years of credit-fuelled profligacy.
2. That is is an ideological attack on workers, the poor, and social democratic rights by a neo-liberal elite.

Perhaps it is both - but 'shock doctrine' style suspensions of fundamental rights, as apparently happened in Greece today, surely make it harder to ignore the ideological underbelly of austerity politics.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

Interesting development in the austerity test-lab known as Greece, where a Metro strike has been broken up by riot police.

Much of the economic debate on p.ie seems to revolves around two radically opposed interpretations of austerity:

1. That it is merely an economic necessity - a pragmatic balancing of the books after years of credit-fuelled profligacy.
2. That is is an ideological attack on workers, the poor, and social democratic rights by a neo-liberal elite.

Perhaps it is both - but 'shock doctrine' style suspensions of fundamental rights, as apparently happened in Greece today, surely make it harder to ignore the ideological underbelly of austerity politics.
Well done to the Greek government for ..........1. Standing up to Union blackmail and 2. enforcing court orders.

stopdoingstuff

The suspension of fundamental democratic rights often follows a coup d'etat.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Overdue. Athens is totally dependent on the Metro. It's gridlock without it (I experienced the hell of a one day strike there). People in state monopolies should not have the ability to strike.

hiding behind a poster

Much of the economic debate on p.ie seems to revolves around two radically opposed interpretations of austerity:

What rights were suspended?

emulator

That was done here during the student protest.... shock them off the streets. It worked too, no more student protests of any size.

I wonder how the many complaints to the Garda Ombudsman are doing....

If this starts here it can be counteracted by breaking up into smaller organised groups which are very hard to control.

bonkers

Overdue. Athens is totally dependent on the Metro. It's gridlock without it (I experienced the hell of a one day strike there). People in state monopolies should not have the ability to strike.
Scum in banks shouldn't have the right to impoverish entire nations.

True Republican

I would love to see an Irish government taking such decisive action against a bunch of self serving trade unions who are unwilling to put country first. Well done to the Greek government.

Spanner Island

I think the Greeks have had enough strikes at this stage... and they've achieved f*** all...

Time for them all to cop on and stop scaring the much needed foreign tourists away...

Clanrickard

I think the Greeks have had enough strikes at this stage... and they've achieved f*** all...

Time for them all to cop on and stop scaring the much needed foreign tourists away...
Exactly. What do they think they'll achieve?

Spanner Island

Exactly. What do they think they'll achieve?
At this stage I haven't a clue...

I suppose they could claim the pressure they put on their government got them some concessions and debt relief, but tbh Greece was so f***ed that they'd probably have gotten them anyway...

It's been their government refusing to totally capitulate to the EU/ECB/IMF that's gained the concessions... not the strikers... imo...

stopdoingstuff

What rights were suspended?
Emergency powers were used - by definition emergency powers involve the temporary setting aside of ones normal rights. In my view they should be allowed strike as much as they want to, but equally the government should be allowed fire them and replace them.

emulator

I would love to see an Irish government taking such decisive action against a bunch of self serving trade unions who are unwilling to put country first. Well done to the Greek government.
The self serving trade Unions ARE the Government.... I would encourage our Government to go down this road.

ManOfReason

Remember just a few years ago how a few low level government employees were able to make the issuing of an Irish Passport a six month ordeal - while still collecting their pay checks. Just because what someone works on is vital to the economy should not make the worker vital to the economy.

emulator

At this stage I haven't a clue...

I suppose they could claim the pressure they put on their government got them some concessions and debt relief, but tbh Greece was so f***ed that they'd probably have gotten them anyway...

It's been their government refusing to totally capitulate to the EU/ECB/IMF that's gained the concessions... not the strikers... imo...
Do you think they would take this stance if there were no protests.... ? it's the inverse of this sad Country.

hiding behind a poster

Emergency powers were used - by definition emergency powers involve the temporary setting aside of ones normal rights. In my view they should be allowed strike as much as they want to, but equally the government should be allowed fire them and replace them.
I know emergency powers were used, hence I didn't ask "were emergency powers used?" I asked what rights were suspended.

True Republican

Similar legislation needs to be introduced in Ireland and yes the government should have the right to arrest striking workers who are employed in essential services.

hiding behind a poster

Find out yourself or are you here to ask stupid questions?
Try reading the OP - in it you'll find this assertion:

Perhaps it is both - but 'shock doctrine' style suspensions of fundamental rights, as apparently happened in Greece today
What's so stupid about asking which fundamental rights were suspended?

joemac67

I would love to see an Irish people taking such decisive action against a bunch of self serving public sector trade unions and their political masters who are unwilling to put country first. .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies