• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The rise of far-right parties in the EU.

T

Thomas_..

The rise of far-right parties by a growing number of supporters and thus voters has been observed for the past months. Now, with the run off in Austria´s presidential election where a far-right candidate from the FPÖ has a real Chance to be voted into Office, might make a difference for Western European countries.

In this article, there´s something more about the run off for office on this Sunday.

Austria election: Far-right contender and rival to hold rallies - BBC News

The Intention for starting this thread is to give that topic something like a file where similar articles can be collected and the effects as well as the reasons which are the background for the rising of the far-rights can be debated.

I´ve placed this thread in the EU Forum because Austria is an EU member state and given the still not solved refugee crisis, social inbalances still troubling people across the EU, one can rather anticipate that in case this far-right candidate in Austria wins, it can also be the case in other EU member states in the West as well.

It is not the Migration/refugee issue that brings people to vote far-right parties into national parliaments, it is also the frustration among the people with the EU as an Institution by which more and more people feel either let down by the EU or simply being ignored. The perception among a growing number of people, that the EU acts and is run with less democratic legitimation. This is a matter which the EU could solve by herself, if she would be that capable to reform herself, but by the current leadership consisting of Juncker, Schulz and Merkel as the figureheads the people see responsible for in the first place, it seems almost impossible.

Please feel free to post any article related to this topic and it doesn´t has to be confined to EU member states alone, it can also include those European countries which are not EU members. That might build up a bigger picture concerning what is going on in Europe these days.

For some times, and I think that I might not be the only one who thought that, it appears as if we are back to the 1930s again. Extremists trying to take power by cheap promises with simple solutions for a very complicated matter.

I´m not in support of any far-right or far-left party, I´m just warning of what the consequences might be if the extremists succeed.

I´m also not satisfied with the EU either, but I don´t see the switch to the extremist parties as being the solution for the problems Europe faces these days. I´m for a fundamental reformation of the EU but the best way would be that it would come to that by the democratic forces in Europe and not from extremists.

The Field Marshal

This phenomena you describe was inevitable when you get unelected powerful EU bureaucrats seeking to dismantle the nation state with unrestricted massive inward migration of people's from utterly different and alien cultures .

GDPR

The thing is that there are a lot of pretty massive significant differences between all these parties. I dont think it would be just to say that UKIP and the Front National are basically the same; and both would be radically different from the actual Neo-Nazis of the Golden Dawn.

Trainwreck

The rise of far-right parties by a growing number of supporters and thus voters has been observed for the past months. Now, with the run off in Austria´s presidential election where a far-right candidate from the FPÖ has a real Chance to be voted into Office, might make a difference for Western European countries.

In this article, there´s something more about the run off for office on this Sunday.

The Intention for starting this thread is to give that topic something like a file where similar articles can be collected and the effects as well as the reasons which are the background for the rising of the far-rights can be debated.

I´ve placed this thread in the EU Forum because Austria is an EU member state and given the still not solved refugee crisis, social inbalances still troubling people across the EU, one can rather anticipate that in case this far-right candidate in Austria wins, it can also be the case in other EU member states in the West as well.

It is not the Migration/refugee issue that brings people to vote far-right parties into national parliaments, it is also the frustration among the people with the EU as an Institution by which more and more people feel either let down by the EU or simply being ignored. The perception among a growing number of people, that the EU acts and is run with less democratic legitimation. This is a matter which the EU could solve by herself, if she would be that capable to reform herself, but by the current leadership consisting of Juncker, Schulz and Merkel as the figureheads the people see responsible for in the first place, it seems almost impossible.

Please feel free to post any article related to this topic and it doesn´t has to be confined to EU member states alone, it can also include those European countries which are not EU members. That might build up a bigger picture concerning what is going on in Europe these days.

For some times, and I think that I might not be the only one who thought that, it appears as if we are back to the 1930s again. Extremists trying to take power by cheap promises with simple solutions for a very complicated matter.

I´m not in support of any far-right or far-left party, I´m just warning of what the consequences might be if the extremists succeed.

I´m also not satisfied with the EU either, but I don´t see the switch to the extremist parties as being the solution for the problems Europe faces these days. I´m for a fundamental reformation of the EU but the best way would be that it would come to that by the democratic forces in Europe and not from extremists.

The political process has become completely detached from the electorate.

If the established political parties stopped denying the electorate the debate and action on the issues that are increasingly concerning them, there would be no votes for the anti-establishment groups (the Tea Party movement Trump and Sanders in the US, Independents in Ireland, Corbyn and the fruitcake Left in the UK) that are flourishing at the moment.

gerhard dengler

Danish People's Party finished second in the 2015 national elections.
The party now has 20% of the total representation in the national parliament.

The year before the same party's candidates secured 28% of the national vote.

In recent weeks the party has called for a Danish referendum on EU membership.

GDPR

Thomas what are the ideological differences between Die Republikaner and the NPD?

tsarbomb

Many of the parties that are usually classified as being "far right" in the mainstream media aren't all. There are only a few successful far right parties in Europe such as the True Finns and the Golden Dawn. I'd imagine that the Golden Dawn gets a lot of support through their grassroots activity such as food distribution in poor areas of Greece as well as the country bearing the brunt of the current invasion of savages.

Parties such as the AFD, UKIP or PVV that are tagged as being far right are really just what real conservative parties were before they all became centre parties over the past two decades. Their approach has been based on common sense and decency, which is why many more people are turning to them.

T

Thomas_..

This phenomena you describe was inevitable when you get unelected powerful EU bureaucrats seeking to dismantle the nation state with unrestricted massive inward migration of people's from utterly different and alien cultures .
Well, you might be right in some ways. The decreasing numbers of voters on EP elections in the member states in the past two decades might have worried the EU a bit and maybe for two days, but they were carry on as usual. The lack of interest by certain percentage of voters (which has varied from election to election, but was in an EU wide result often below the 50% mark), also made it possible that far-right parties - and I take the UKIP into that section - even could have gained their seats in the EP.

There is also a rise of autocratic or say authoritarian leaders like Orban, to name the most "popular" among all those who cheer the far-right movement, a puppet PM in Poland who is directed by her party leader who has no office. Rising support for nationalists in Serbia, Croatia, Austria, France, the Netherlands and Belgium.

The uncontrolled mass influx of migrants (refugees and economic migrants who came together at the same time period) was that amount of water those far-right parties needed to gain more and more support.

What is your picture of a European future when in more and more member states, people elect far-right parties into power? I can tell you that mine is a very, very dark one and that not just for the migrants, but also for all free thinking people.

Fractional Reserve

some of the parties that are branded far right etc the majority of them are really common sense parties that can see what unfettered immigration does to their country and how Europe endorses it and forces it down their countries neck with the help of their current europhile pc politicians

T

Thomas_..

Thomas what are the ideological differences between Die Republikaner and the NPD?
You´ve got the wrong parties by them for the present time. The Republikaner barely exist today and the NPD is about to be banned once the Constitutional Court has finished the procedure and sees no reason anymore for why the NPD can´t be banned.

You have to Focus on the AfD (Alternative for Germany) which is absorbing People who voted or were members of Die Republikaner, and I think that they might also take on some who were former NPD members - although they strictly deny that.

You ask for the difference between all them? Well, you should rather find out what they all have in common which is more than they differ from.

Die Republikaner was a right-wing protest Party that started in 1983 when the then Bavarian PM Franz-Josef-Strauß made the Billion-credit-deal with the GDR. That led to a reaction among members of the Bavarian conservative party CSU to quit their Membership in protest to this and they founded that party Die Republikaner. Being rather low in elections, they got a slight increase of Support in the early 1990s when the numbers of asylum seekers increased but got down again after the asylum compromise was settled in 1993 and thus less asylum seekers came to Germany. But we had the war refugees from former Yugoslavia here despite that asylum compromise.

The NPD was founded in the 1960s and consisted of many old Nazis who were former members of the NSDAP and refused to accept the new founded German Democracy. Worshipping Nazi personell like Rudolf Hess or some Fighter Pilots, they also had a Claim for rebuilding the "Greater German Empire" by including all German speaking parts in Central Europe and to reclaim the territories Germany lost in the East after WWII. A short time of success and even a few mandates in some federal states parliaments in the late 1960s, they were kicked out by the eletorate a couple of years afterwards and were of no importance during the 1970s and 1980s. An attempted Revival in the early 1990s failed in many federal states, except Saxony, because there was another far-right organisation that was turned into a Party that got the support from Neo-Nazis in the East instead. This party is called the DVU (Deutsche Volks Union / German Peoples Union).

There is less ideological difference between all those far-right parties, there are just "tactical" differences between them.

realistic1

but are these parties "extremists "?
Does stating that a Nation needs to control its borders now count as "extremist"?
How exactly are these Parties of the right "extremist"?

Felixness

Given that the far left appears to have become more violent than the right wing groups it's probably the former that people should be concerned about. Realistically, people are turning to right wing parties not because they agree with most of the parties philosophy but because the right wing parties reflect their concerns about mass Muslim migration to Europe and who acknowledge the criminality and violence that it has brought with it and which continues on a daily basis but which is deliberately concealed from the public by not only European government but European mainstream media.

Half Nelson

'Right-wing' and 'nationalistic' are used as pejorative terms towards any body that threatens the evolution of the EU Superstate.
'Patriotism' - the thing that men used to die for - is now on a par with support for your local football club.

The Field Marshal

Well, you might be right in some ways. The decreasing numbers of voters on EP elections in the member states in the past two decades might have worried the EU a bit and maybe for two days, but they were carry on as usual. The lack of interest by certain percentage of voters (which has varied from election to election, but was in an EU wide result often below the 50% mark), also made it possible that far-right parties - and I take the UKIP into that section - even could have gained their seats in the EP.

There is also a rise of autocratic or say authoritarian leaders like Orban, to name the most "popular" among all those who cheer the far-right movement, a puppet PM in Poland who is directed by her party leader who has no office. Rising support for nationalists in Serbia, Croatia, Austria, France, the Netherlands and Belgium.

The uncontrolled mass influx of migrants (refugees and economic migrants who came together at the same time period) was that amount of water those far-right parties needed to gain more and more support.

What is your picture of a European future when in more and more member states, people elect far-right parties into power? I can tell you that mine is a very, very dark one and that not just for the migrants, but also for all free thinking people.
Democratic nation states will act to preserve their identities when external forces seek to abolish them.
I do not see any far right threat in the sense of totalitarian dictatorship associated with removal of civil rights and liberties.

What is likely to occur is a serious restriction on inward migration [long overdue] and nation states acting more independantly of centralised EU control.

The notion of an EU superstate can only ever work on the basis of full parity of esteem toward every member state.

German and French hubris has destroyed that concept for the moment anyway.

T

Thomas_..

Many of the parties that are usually classified as being "far right" in the mainstream media aren't all. There are only a few successful far right parties in Europe such as the True Finns and the Golden Dawn. I'd imagine that the Golden Dawn gets a lot of support through their grassroots activity such as food distribution in poor areas of Greece as well as the country bearing the brunt of the current invasion of savages.

Parties such as the AFD, UKIP or PVV that are tagged as being far right are really just what real conservative parties were before they all became centre parties over the past two decades. Their approach has been based on common sense and decency, which is why many more people are turning to them.
You just didn´t mention that like in Hungary and other countries, those you deem to be of conservative ground have the other real far-right parties breathing down their necks. In Hungary it is Jobbik, in Austria there is just the FPÖ who has changed from a once liberal party to a ousted far-right one. In Germany you see the AfD getting even more closer with PEGIDA in their anti-Muslim Propaganda and Actions. It´s no surprise at all cos they were good chums all along for a considerable time. Conservative parties try to take up some of the demands and Slogans from the far-right to hold on to their voters and prevent them from going to the far-right.

You see the predicament the CDU is in these days. It is really the fault of Mrs Merkel because she shifted the CDU from centre-right too centre-left too far. The AfD is about to absorb all those former CDU voters by pretending that they are the conservative alternative the people perceive to have lost in Merkels CDU. But some voters are rather inclined to ignore the true face of the AfD and their collaboration with PEGIDA and this collaboration makes the AfD, as well as their recently written manifesto not a real conservative party. The AfD is a Nationalist party with conservative "credentials".

See how the FN in France was gaining support because the state left the people in the Calais area exposed to criminality emanating from the Jungle Camp (that´s what the resident locals said in many interviews for the whole time since it was established).

Look how people are taking to the streets and even going violent against their own local councils in order to prevent the set up of a refugee camp in their town, as this happened in the Netherlands.

Remember the quarells in Belgium which have often enough threatened the whole Kingdom falling apart for various reasons.

Look at Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland where far-right parties get support in such a short time never to bee seen in the other EU member states who took decades to even consolidate a certain amount of voters.

Nationalists in other countries, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and who knows which country is next. I´m just yet surprised that the old Fascists in Italy are still not on the rise again but that might change soon enough when the next wave of refugees starting from Libya is reaching Italy and the Austrians will finally close the Brenner border in order to reinstall border controls.

The Establishment parties in the EU member states are not answering the calls from their People to get a grip on that problem and they are doing so accordingly to the pressure they receive from the EU officials like Juncker and Schulz with the backing and demands from Merkel. The people are expecting that their governments are acting as they anticipate to do in the interest of the people and not of the EU bureaucrats who would like the supply every member state with a quota of refugees. This is what brings support for far-right parties across the EU.

T

Thomas_..

Danish People's Party finished second in the 2015 national elections.
The party now has 20% of the total representation in the national parliament.

The year before the same party's candidates secured 28% of the national vote.

In recent weeks the party has called for a Danish referendum on EU membership.
Thanks for that Gerhard.

The Field Marshal

'Right-wing' and 'nationalistic' are used as pejorative terms towards any body that threatens the evolution of the EU Superstate.
'Patriotism' - the thing that men used to die for - is now on a par with support for your local football club.
There is no evolution Toward a superstate.

There is German economic takeover that is destroying the actual foundations of the EU. as envisaged.

T

Thomas_..

Given that the far left appears to have become more violent than the right wing groups it's probably the former that people should be concerned about. Realistically, people are turning to right wing parties not because they agree with most of the parties philosophy but because the right wing parties reflect their concerns about mass Muslim migration to Europe and who acknowledge the criminality and violence that it has brought with it and which continues on a daily basis but which is deliberately concealed from the public by not only European government but European mainstream media.
The far-right "reflects" the concerns in the eye of the people but the far-right also exploit those concerns to incite the people against foreigners. First it´s the Muslims, next will be any foreigner and they won´t stop there.

T

Thomas_..

Democratic nation states will act to preserve their identities when external forces seek to abolish them.
I do not see any far right threat in the sense of totalitarian dictatorship associated with removal of civil rights and liberties.

What is likely to occur is a serious restriction on inward migration [long overdue] and nation states acting more independantly of centralised EU control.

The notion of an EU superstate can only ever work on the basis of full parity of esteem toward every member state.

German and French hubris has destroyed that concept for the moment anyway.
You are deliberately turning two blind eyes on that.

There is no evolution Toward a superstate.

There is German economic takeover that is destroying the actual foundations of the EU. as envisaged.
Hardly a trace of argument I could use against what you said here.

Equinox

In an interview during the last French elections during which the left and right conspired in France to gerrymander the vote to exclude the FN (thus proving the point she was about to make) Marion le Pen said something that I thought rang very true.
When she was accused by the interviewer of cynical populism for suddenly co-opting policies that were seen as traditionally left wing (the FN campaigned on a platform of workers rights and employment protection) she dismissed his accusation saying that, the old paradigm of left and right was dead the moment East and West became points on a compas rather then ideological boundries. The real devide emerging in politics was no longer a left\right one but a nationalist\globalist one, and that the more power drifted towards the EU empire building center, the more people would vote for nationalist parties to resist it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies