The RTÉ Public Service Broadcasting thread

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I think we need to collate the broadcast evidence for and against public service commitment at RTÉ on an ongoing thread.

Right now (10:10 on 8 November 2010) RTÉ Radio 1 are holding a debate on compulsory military service.

This issue, imo, is:
a) so unoriginal as to easily qualify as hackneyed
b) not on the political agenda of anyone with any political weight of any type

In my opinion, if someone on the executive of a college debating society suggested it as a topic, the response would be groans.

That it was chosen as a topic on RTÉ is, imo, typical of RTÉ editorial laziness.

Other contributions (positive and negative -- as well as disagreements about inclusions) are very welcome.

TonyBird

Who is that presenter ? This show is weak . Very 'local radio' , including the 'controversial' debate/poll . Standard mobile rates apply . I just cant wait to find out what a load of idiots think about the issue .:rolleyes:

Toland

Website
John Murray. As a presenter he's not bad. The material is almost uniformly terrible, though.

This is true of a lot of RTÉ material.

I'm one of those who remembers Joe Duffy when he did news and current affairs.

He was (and probably still is) unusually talented.

Liveline was already bad before he took it over from the bloody awful, opinionated Marian Finnucane, but he's turned it into the radio whine-in it has become.

On the positive side, Tubridy is much better on the new show on 2FM.

It remains an enormous (and expensive) pity that the very apogee of presentatorial ambition is to be the next reincarnation of Gay Byrne.

Baron von Biffo

John Murray. As a presenter he's not bad. The material is almost uniformly terrible, though.

This is true of a lot of RTÉ material.

I'm one of those who remembers Joe Duffy when he did news and current affairs.

He was (and probably still is) unusually talented.

Liveline was already bad before he took it over from the bloody awful, opinionated Marian Finnucane, but he's turned it into the radio whine-in it has become.

On the positive side, Tubridy is much better on the new show on 2FM.

It remains an enormous (and expensive) pity that the very apogee of presentatorial ambition is to be the next reincarnation of Gay Byrne.
The Liveline motto may well be "For God and FF"

Yosser

Is there any obligation on RTE to publish accounts? If so,where could I see them.I know it probably will not tell me who gets paid what, and I'm not really interested in that as we have a fair idea anyway. I am more interested in staff numbers and budgets for each department.

Toland

Website
For my money, any new government should divvy out a share of RTÉ's licence money to an independent broadcasting unit whose only duty is to provide a primetime weekly programme dealing with criticisms of RTÉ's broadcasting standards, inviting RTÉ to respond to them, thus putting pressure on to raise standards and educating listeners and viewers on what's actually possible.

Funny that something legislative seems necessary: BBC seems (at least until recently) to have the ability to make public and professional feedback programmes that are only partially self-serving.

I think we need to collate the broadcast evidence for and against public service commitment at RTÉ on an ongoing thread.
As you are not

A resident of the country
A taxpayer
A License payer

then what exactly do RTE owe you ?

In a word NOTHING

johnfás

From the ridiculous to the sublime:

They now have a discussion on Socrates, the founder of philosophy.

Original not much, but much better nonetheless.
Toland finally realises the idea of diversity in broadcasting - that he will enjoy some topics discussed but not others.

Toland

Website
Toland finally realises the idea of diversity in broadcasting - that he will enjoy some topics discussed but not others.
That's not the problem at all.

I've always recognised the need for diversity. I do insist though, that a debate on compulsory national service is not about diversity: it's about editorial laziness.

I have always been willing to praise RTÉ where praise is due. And I think you'll find that my criticisms attempt to be constructive.

Toland

Website
There is a fine line between 'diversity' and 'confusion .
And the provision of just "any old thing". Give me a believable justification of a debate on compulsory military service and I'll eat me hat.

The last time I saw an appropriate reference to it was on Yes Prime Minister:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yhN1IDLQjo]YouTube - Opinion Polls: Getting the results you want[/ame]

Dorris

I was busy listening to 'ey man Dump me from Newstalk yesterday 11 am to 1pm. I was there for the Somerville rant, which went very well, no apology needed or given for his undenied ability to tell the truth. She is great, the Millitary trained zealot is just another empty headed Whanker, with the usual right wing propensity to misrepresent any an' every.

Toland

Website
... the Millitary trained zealot is just another empty headed Whanker, with the usual right wing propensity to misrepresent any an' every.
That, imo, goes without saying. And RTÉ should be professional enough broadcasters to go without his input, imo.

Before anyone jumps on me on the freedom of speech business, you can only provide a platform for a very limited number of opinions. The least that should be expected is that the opinions for which a platform is given not be some populist demagoguery with utterly no political currency whatsoever.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies