The "Screamers" on Innisfree

Lao-Tse

Remember the group of English feminists who set up a group
on Innisfree years ago? They were called "the Screamers" due to
the fact they practiced a therapy which involved reenacting traumatic
moments in their lives. Does anyone here have any memories of them?

TheLastPaddy

Yes, I remember them. They had a house in Burtonport and then moved to Inishfree Island and then built a boat to sail to Brasil or somewhere. Led by a lady Jenny somebody or other. Attracted a lot of attention. Probably nobody would back an eyelid nowadays.

Why do you ask?

Lao-Tse

Yes, I remember them. They had a house in Burtonport and then moved to Inishfree Island and then built a boat to sail to Brasil or somewhere. Led by a lady Jenny somebody or other. Attracted a lot of attention. Probably nobody would back an eyelid nowadays.

Why do you ask?
I was curious. There was an article in one of the papers about them
a few years ago.

Also, a friend of mine used to work in the unemployment office in Cork, and
he told me a woman who'd been associated with the Screamers used to
come there every so often.

5intheface

Why do you ask?
I remember being warned not to go near the big house in Burtonport. Is the house still there pretty much as it was in the 70s? I was back there a couple of years ago and pretty sure I remembered which house it was. Big blue house on the right as you go down?

Tommy Tayto

Yes, there was a thing about them on TV a while back. They were into primal scream therapy, led by a British chap called Sid Rawnlins, I think his name was. John Lennon originally donated money for them to set up on the island! Not a lot of people know that...

TheLastPaddy

I was curious. There was an article in one of the papers about them
a few years ago.

Also, a friend of mine used to work in the unemployment office in Cork, and
he told me a woman who'd been associated with the Screamers used to
come there every so often.
I think there was a guy from Cork involved with them as well at one stage. I think local people were fairly wary of them. Some of the women used to dress in calico and wear what could be termed heavy workmenlike boots.

I seem to recall that a couple of members of their community had a dispute with some foreign gay guys who also had property on the island and it ended up in the local district court, with charges of assault or something but not 100% sure about that.

Probably a lot more screamers at the unemployment offices these days! But who could blame them I suppose!

5intheface

I remember a naked woman was pulled from the Sea by local fishermen off their island after she fled from captivity there...

I'm sure they still tell stories about that 'catch' anyway! :p
I remember my folks warning us that we would be kidnapped and made to scream all day (mightn't have noticed any change) if we went too close. I always assumed there was nothing to the story.

TheLastPaddy

I remember being warned not to go near the big house in Burtonport. Is the house still there pretty much as it was in the 70s? I was back there a couple of years ago and pretty sure I remembered which house it was. Big blue house on the right as you go down?
That's right, I think. Don't know if it is still there; haven't been in Burtonport le blianta anuas.

Tommy Tayto

I remember a naked woman was pulled from the Sea by local fishermen off their island after she fled from captivity there...
We call those mermaids around my place... ;)

Eirenua

Their real cult name was The Atlantis Therapy Commune - dubbed the "Screamers" because members would screech their heads off in bizarre rituals and tried to persuade people in Donegal to join up and move to the rain forests of Colombia. Tristan James, grandson of Screamers founder Jenny James, died six years ago in Colombia where he was living since the cult left the retreat in Inisfree, Co Donegal, where he was born.

Cult Mum Reveals Agony of Son Killing

Lao-Tse

Their real cult name was The Atlantis Therapy Commune - dubbed the "Screamers" because members would screech their heads off in bizarre rituals and tried to persuade people in Donegal to join up and move to the rain forests of Colombia. Tristan James, grandson of Screamers founder Jenny James, died six years ago in Colombia where he was living since the cult left the retreat in Inisfree, Co Donegal, where he was born.

Cult Mum Reveals Agony of Son Killing
Interesting link. According to this article, one ex-Screamer, Mary Kelly,
attacked a USAF plane as a protest against the second Gulf War:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/400-atlantis-commune-screamers

eamo

Remember the group of English feminists who set up a group
on Innisfree years ago? They were called "the Screamers" due to
the fact they practiced a therapy which involved reenacting traumatic
moments in their lives. Does anyone here have any memories of them?
I used to drive a truck all over Donegal at that time (mid 80's). On one occashion I stoped to give an oriential guy a lift, turned out the guy was a nervous reck!! He was "escaping" as he put it from the screamers. He said they did not beleive in self restraint at all at all. You could be out working on there bit of land and someone could just walk up and clock you, just caus they felt like it!! I forget where I left him but he was scaired for his life. He gave me a book written by the leader, jenny johnson or something like that, first and second name started with "j" annyway. It was a large, suprisingly well written book as I recall, with a plain white cover.

P.S. excuse the spelling I made the mistake of "upgrading" to googlecrome and its the greatest load of u-know-what. I cant even find spellcheck on it, why cant they modle the new on the old, ba!! I am getting old and grumpey!!

cactusflower

They seem to be found on the fringes of political organisations.

They may have different philosophies but for the last 17 years a band of heavily-armed Marxist guerrillas and a radical commune founded in London have managed to live in harmony in a remote area of Colombia.

While the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Columbia (Farc) has grown in strength and influence thanks to drugs money, Atlantis has been promoting organic farming and primal scream therapy. Farc has tolerated - even helped - the commune.

But the two are now at loggerheads after Tristan James, the 18-year-old grandson of the Atlantis founder, Jenny James, and his Colombian friend were stabbed and decapitated, and their bodies set on fire after being accused of spying for pro-government paramilitaries.

Atlantis was founded in London as a “radical primal commune” based on the principles of Reichian, or “Primal Scream”, therapy in 1970. Four years later the group moved to Burtonport, Co Donegal, but their alternative lifestyle earned them suspicion and notoriety.

Newspaper headlines dubbed them the Screamers and Irish MPs called for their deportation. In 1976, the group received a series of bomb threats when they were accused them of abducting a woman.

MM FF

pity they are not still about - Digout could use a little anger management.....sound like his type of outfit!

cactusflower

Interesting link. According to this article, one ex-Screamer, Mary Kelly,
attacked a USAF plane as a protest against the second Gulf War:

Atlantis / The Screamers | Apologetics Index

This was a famous case. RTE made a documentary on her trial. She more or less got off on moral grounds of preventing deaths as far as I remember. She was supported by some rather odd Americans who she fell out with.

b.a. baracus

pity they are not still about - Digout could use a little anger management.....sound like his type of outfit!
Where is the Ahern surge you promised us?
Should you not be crawling back under your rock you stooge?

mucalinda

I was there in 1976. I'd actually be very interesred in getting in touch with anyone else who was there at the time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies