The Senate

Badnarik_Eire

Double? Who said double? Abolish the senate and retain what people seem to think the only useful part of it, cut and paste to the dail.

geraghd

UL I think it was..

geraghd

Oh dear God...

Conor

smiffy said:
Conor said:
Interestingly, one doesn't need to be a graduate of NUI to be a candidate. You just need to be nominated by a 10 of them. Not sure about TCD.
Where did the Salmon study?
Scoil Uí Riada and Franciscan College, Gormanston.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Badnarik_Eire said:
Double? Who said double? Abolish the senate and retain what people seem to think the only useful part of it, cut and paste to the dail.
If you're a graduate who's entitled to vote for these candidates, and you're also entitled to vote for TDs at local level, wouldn't that count as double representation?

Badnarik_Eire

You mean having two votes to the same assembly (for some reason thought you were asking me if I wanted the uni seats in Dail Eireann and keep them in Seanad Eireann :? )

Yes it would count double representation, two votes basically, you'd have to accept that if you want them there so badly.

The recent report on Senate Reform reccomends that if you choose to excercise your francise in the uni seats you loose it for the direct seanad election seats, they could do that for the Dail, it would get very messy.

Thus much easier to abolish the senate.

Badnarik_Eire

smiffy said:
geraghd said:
UL I think it was..
I'm an NUI graduate, so that's one signature.

WHO'S WITH ME? :D

Anyone .... anyone .... anyone .... Bueller ....?
You would want to be a senator?

Badnarik_Eire

If you agree to actually read my posts from now on instead of taking them to mean what you want them to mean 8)

geraghd

Id like to be a Senator!

Badnarik_Eire

All you have to do is fail to get elected to the Dail for a major party and your in!

geraghd

Excellent. Or get appointed or get much more involved in Trinity affairs than I currently am..

Badnarik_Eire

You can be a proud to be part of a layer of unessicary bureaucracy that absorbs money and wastes time :)

geraghd

Oh, great. Sure I always said democracy was a waste of money and time, now that I cant beat the democrats Ill just have to join them and live off them!

Badnarik_Eire

Democracy has nothing to do with the senate

GusherING

Badnarik_Eire said:
By two colleges: NUI, TCD

Does anyone actually know the reason why there are uni seats in the first place? It seems a bit elitist
I can answer that. Its a hangover from the British system, which was translated into the free state constitution and then into the current one. Historically, in Britain, there were always University constituencies and in Ireland there was a constituency for trinity college (always unionist). The British ensured this continued on into the free state as mentioned before. NUI was later added on, under Bunreacht na hEireann. In Britain itself, the Universities of Oxbridge had constituencies, this later extended to Scottish Uni's and under the act of union, to Dublins trinity. Under the partition of Ireland, Stormonts parliament had a Queens constituency. It lasted in the north till 1968 and in mainland britain till 1950. The constituencies in Ireland, were in fact actually abolished in 1936 and instead the Universities panel came into being. This is when NUI reps came into being along with TCD on electing senators only, no longer TD's.
Hope you are now enlightend.

Badnarik_Eire

I am indeed, and more convinced they should go.

a relic of our imperial past.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies