The shame that Granard can never erase

Reasunach

Clerical Whispers: Vale of tears, veil of silence

All these years later and only now are some people willing to talk about the background to this tide turning story. As a teenager when this horrific incident happened, I always wondered why the town closed ranks on who the father of Ann Lovett's baby was. If she had survived, would she have been yet another "unmarried mother" hidden in a mother and baby home. Some of the letters featured on Gay Byrnes radio show are remarkable in their acquiesence to the Church while puporting to show sympathy for this poor girl and her child.

The Ann Lovett letters: sorrow, shame, anger and indignation

Cruimh

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I recall this case very well. It was an awakening for me and I remember being deeply shocked by it.

I think the whole country was in fairness. I can hardly bear to think of elements of this tragedy even now.

Reasunach

In and around the same time, in the small town where I grew up the older sister of one of my school friends became pregnant. Instead of abandoning their daughter, the parents supported her and let her keep her child. It was huge gossip fodder at the time amongst a certain section and all the holy joes had a great time. It's only now that I realise just how brave the family were, in the time before the unmarried mothers supports etc, in going against society's "norms".

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Sometimes you hear things in the news and you don't know what the reaction should be. I remember everything, where I was in the house listening to a radio report. Just horror and then blind anger with nowhere for it to go.

Maybe it was particularly resonant at the time and I think maybe it might have been the last of the youthful illusions being shattered about the world and how bloody cruel it could be.

I was disgusted by a society in which something like this could happen. I still am.

People can whinge all they like about the 'good old days' but I tell you what and we live in times now where there is less of the horrific condemnation that Ann Lovett was obviously so much in fear of.

I don't give a shyte if every child in Ireland next year and the year after evermore is born out of wedlock if it means no more cases like Ann Lovett's.

venusian

Clerical Whispers: Vale of tears, veil of silence

All these years later and only now are some people willing to talk about the background to this tide turning story. As a teenager when this horrific incident happened, I always wondered why the town closed ranks on who the father of Ann Lovett's baby was. If she had survived, would she have been yet another "unmarried mother" hidden in a mother and baby home. Some of the letters featured on Gay Byrnes radio show are remarkable in their acquiesence to the Church while puporting to show sympathy for this poor girl and her child.

The Ann Lovett letters: sorrow, shame, anger and indignation
Like or lump Gaybo he genuinely did the country a service in broadcasting those letters at the time, they opened the squinting windows a bit and let a little light in.

Telstar 62

As long as the 'Repeal The 8th' gang doesn't try to capitalize on
the tragedy - like they did with Savita......

Ghouls....

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Deeply appropriate name. A reference to a periodic beep from the middle of the last century.

Very fitting for his type.

ger12

There's a report about this tragedy that hasn't been made public. Perhaps now it could.

Skin the Goat

As long as the 'Repeal The 8th' gang doesn't try to capitalize on
the tragedy - like they did with Savita......

Ghouls....
Well, as the first person on the thread to try to "capitalize" on the tragedy, you're probably calling it just about right :roll:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Anyone of a mind that Ireland should go backward toward being that kind of primitive rural bolt-neck society that Ann Lovett only knew could quite happily be thrown over the cliffs of moher as far as I am concerned.

And good riddance to them.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Not everyone involved had died yet? It will be the usual protection of the good name of people who even locally likely never possessed such a thing.

Appearances must be upheld.

Reasunach

Wel done, you are the first one to appear.
Guys, guys, please stick to the principle of the thread, and forget about the personalities. We are talking about a teenage girl who possibly became pregnant as a result of sexual abuse, concealed her pregnancy whilst a blind eye was turned against the perpetrator, and ultimately died together with her innocent child whilst the pious declared that she died in the arms of the virgin in order to secure her place in Heaven. If that sounds uncannily like ISIS propaganda then that's because it is. What troubles me most is the whole reluctance of a town to acknowledge that her death, and possibly the death of her sister, was preventable.

Hunter-Gatherer

Shame on the Church and all their poisonous hateful propaganda.

all religions are toxic dangerous fairytales.

ger12

runwiththewind

Didn't Ann' s younger sister commit suicide some 6 months later and didn't their father have a massive heart attack around the same time.

And wasn't the Kerry babies around the same time?

Were the 80s the worst decade of all?

Man na hEireann my aras.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies