The sheer irony of being lectured to by an obese Jnr. Health Minister.

greengoose2

There is "no point in complaining" about the problems in the health service unless we are willing to change our lifestyles, a minister has said.

"A lot of technology means our children are sedentary to a huge extent. A lot of adults are leading sedentary lifestyles. Activity helps with your stress levels and weight," the junior minister said.
Enda Kenny has appointed some dopes to his joke, cobbled together Government. This is the lady who came up with the "booze curtain" brainfart. Are these people for real? She and her colleagues should be dealing with a disastrous health service, hospital trolley scandals, misdiagnoses, lack of nurses, failed mental health and all the rest.

loner

What does the Minister have to say about those who are undernourished and cannot afford anything much in the line of lifestyle and who have to wait for years to get hip replacements and lots of other procedures?

jpc

Irish Politics is great for stating the obvious.
If the solution isn't a form of taxation.
They don't want to know.
Too long term and won't get the credit.

damus

And waiting lists and A&E waits has nothing to do with political policy and the fact that a bunch of incompetents are mismanaging our health service.

democrat

If the minister was obese, I would tend to agree with you (because they, of all people, should be leading by example).

However, Corcoran Kennedy is not obese.

I don't see the hypocrisy. She has herself referred to her size in her comments in the article - and not positively, but with words which come across as empathic.

Orbit v2

Fair play to her for being honest about it, and for doing something about it. Is she obese? I think a lot of people would be surprised to learn they are (technically) obese like she was. People can look normal enough (as in the new larger normal) but be obese.

Eoin Coir

She has taken steps to reduce weight. Mary Harney was obese and did nothing about it. She was a good minister though and stood up to parish pump politicians who wanted a cancer hospital in every county. She created centres of excellence and is was a good thing.

mr_anderson

What does the Minister have to say about those who are undernourished and cannot afford anything much in the line of lifestyle and who have to wait for years to get hip replacements and lots of other procedures?

If anyone is undernourished in this country, it's their own fault.
Or do you think we need to screen people for eligibility into McDonalds ?

Boy M5

I heard Corcoran Kennedy a few times on the radio. Not been impressed. If she has however, called out obesity and from that pic avoiding sugar and carbs and has lost weight. Then fair play.

Eoin Coir

She has lovely features, if she died her hair and was a few years younger I'd even go for her myself !

wombat

I don't see the hypocrisy. She has herself referred to her size in her comments in the article - and not positively, but with words which come across as empathic.
Its a fairly typical P.ie response, ignore the substance of a statement but abuse the politician you dislike. I knew several women with weight problems when I was younger but had the basic good manners never to comment unless I could be positive. There is a serious alcohol abuse problem in the country and a weight problem is developing and neither are related to the political party in power at any given time. Ministers are advised by health professionals to use policy to try and influence people's behaviour to improve the overall health of the population but there is nothing that can be done to cure wilfull ignorance.

New Threads

Most Replies