The shooting of George Adamson in Athlone, April 1922

Éireann_Ascendant

Twitter
eireannascenda
An article about a bloody incident in Athlone in April 1922, a prelude of sorts to the Irish Civil War later in the year.

A Death in Athlone: The Controversial Case of George Adamson, April 1922

In the early hours of the 25th April, a group of officers from the pro-Treaty IRA stationed in Athlone were searching the streets for a missing comrade of theirs. When they saw a lone man loitering in a doorway, the leader of the party, Brigadier-General George Adamson, demanded to know his name.

"I know you, George. You know me, Adamson," came the cryptic reply. When the officers demanded at gunpoint that the stranger raise his hands, they found themselves confronted in turn by an armed group, who swiftly disarmed them.

At least, that was what happened according to the report from the pro-Treaty IRA GHQ later that day. The report went on to claim that the first stranger drew a revolver of his own and fired point blank through Adamson’s ear, into his head.

The blame for this incident was immediately lain on the anti-Treaty IRA who had remained in Athlone after being expelled from the military barracks a month before. Warfare between the two factions had been avoided with the mediation of the local clergy, and the leaders of both sides had agreed to a tentative truce, one that had seemingly been suddenly and shockingly broken.

But the anti-Treaty IRA denied any responsibility for the shooting, and made claims of their own about what had happened that night, which made the seemingly straightforward case considerably less so...

(George Adamson)​

PAGE61

An article about a bloody incident in Athlone in April 1922, a prelude of sorts to the Irish Civil War later in the year.

A Death in Athlone: The Controversial Case of George Adamson, April 1922

In the early hours of the 25th April, a group of officers from the pro-Treaty IRA stationed in Athlone were searching the streets for a missing comrade of theirs. When they saw a lone man loitering in a doorway, the leader of the party, Brigadier-General George Adamson, demanded to know his name.

"I know you, George. You know me, Adamson," came the cryptic reply. When the officers demanded at gunpoint that the stranger raise his hands, they found themselves confronted in turn by an armed group, who swiftly disarmed them.

At least, that was what happened according to the report from the pro-Treaty IRA GHQ later that day. The report went on to claim that the first stranger drew a revolver of his own and fired point blank through Adamson’s ear, into his head.

The blame for this incident was immediately lain on the anti-Treaty IRA who had remained in Athlone after being expelled from the military barracks a month before. Warfare between the two factions had been avoided with the mediation of the local clergy, and the leaders of both sides had agreed to a tentative truce, one that had seemingly been suddenly and shockingly broken.

But the anti-Treaty IRA denied any responsibility for the shooting, and made claims of their own about what had happened that night, which made the seemingly straightforward case considerably less so...

(George Adamson)​
Any theories?

The Field Marshal

What is the point of this OP?
Many incidents occurred during the Irish civil war for which there exists no truthful account.
They will never be satisfactorily resolved.

At this juncture nearly a century on it does not matter any more.

PAGE61

Many incidents occurred during the Irish civil war for which there exists no truthful account.

it is interesting. Perhaps not to your good self but its interesting none the less , don't worry, we are not going to accuse you of shooting him

The Field Marshal

it is interesting. Perhaps not to your good self but its interesting none the less , don't worry, we are not going to accuse you of shooting him
It’s only interesting in a very limited way.
Man gets shot.
No body will ever know who did it.
End of story.

Civil wars are filled with many such incidents and fine if you want to discuss that specific pov but I’m outta here.

Buchaill Dana

It’s only interesting in a very limited way.
Man gets shot.
No body will ever know who did it.
End of story.

Civil wars are filled with many such incidents and fine if you want to discuss that specific pov but I’m outta here.
Another thread that's about you.

Barroso

(George Adamson)​
I'm dying of the suspense ...

fifilawe

this seems to be an opening to an Inspector Poirot episode .....who? why? when ? what ?? how? the mystery deepens ... over to you OP...

recedite

Its an interesting story. FWIW I tend to believe the anti-treaty version of events, ie it was a "friendly fire" incident, and it happened after a car was stolen/requisitioned by the free state side.
I'm sure there was a lot of "requisitioning" going on at the time. All the stuff owned by RIC and abandoned by the British army up for grabs. Frightened civilians easily intimidated into donating to the cause.

Amazing how young this Brigadier General was (as was Michael Collins). And a veteran of WWI like many of his comrades, and all of the tans. Young guys who had been schooled in the brutality of a very brutal war, and had known nothing else since their boyhood.
Real life Peaky Blinders stuff. The story would make a good movie some day.
The 25-year-old native of Moate, Co. Westmeath, had had a brief but eventful life. Previous to his service in the Athlone IRA, he had fought during the Great War, earning a Mons Star and a Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous bravery. That this had been part of the same British Army he would later oppose was one of the many ironies of the period, as was the grim fact that his end had come not at German or British hands, but that of his fellow countrymen.

Dearghoul

Its an interesting story. FWIW I tend to believe the anti-treaty version of events, ie it was a "friendly fire" incident, and it happened after a car was stolen/requisitioned by the free state side.
I'm sure there was a lot of "requisitioning" going on at the time. All the stuff owned by RIC and abandoned by the British army up for grabs. Frightened civilians easily intimidated into donating to the cause.

Amazing how young this Brigadier General was (as was Michael Collins). And a veteran of WWI like many of his comrades, and all of the tans. Young guys who had been schooled in the brutality of a very brutal war, and had known nothing else since their boyhood.
Real life Peaky Blinders stuff. The story would make a good movie some day.
Peaky x%$*++ing Blinders?

Sweet Darling

It's the inner perpetual victim found in a certain strain of Irish. shinnies are one group susceptible to it due to the loser gene that they possess.

Se0samh

It's the inner perpetual victim found in a certain strain of Irish. shinnies are one group susceptible to it due to the loser gene that they possess.
As ever, your attempts to shoehorn prejudice into everything are so, sweet darling...;)

automaticforthepeople

Gemma O'Doherty is making an appeal on next months Crimeline on this. It'll be all wrapped up then. Seems Noírin and Martin have some vital information all along that has allowed the killer go scott free.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies