The Shrinking politicians.

Mickeymac

There was a time when British football managers ruled the footballing waves. Brian Clough, Bill Shankley, Alf Ramsey: it was hard to think of more gifted managers. But look through managers of Premier League clubs today and what do you find? Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp: European coaching talent has totally eclipsed anything Britain can produce.Ditto for players.

It once was the same with politics. Irish politicians would do their best but the more cultured tones of British politicians – Macmillan, Thatcher, Blair – suggested the confidence of a much larger and more powerful political unit than Ireland possessed, north or south.

The shrinking British politician - Jude Collins

theloner

Gets a 'like' for squeezing Cloughie into an OP. Kudos. Churchill's hobbies included the arts, literature and romantic style bricklaying. Cameron liked sticking his dick in a pig's mouth.

Mickeymac

Gets a 'like' for squeezing Cloughie into an OP. Kudos. Churchill's hobbies included the arts, literature and romantic style bricklaying. Cameron liked sticking his dick in a pig's mouth.

All good Loner, I have broken leg, collarbone and hip fractures and thankfully can post this......

If you doubt me, check last night’s The View. Poor little Diane Dodds did her best to talk up Mother Britain, but she looked like a fish that’s just been gaffed by a Belgian fisherman. Now if we could teach the Europeans – and the Brits – to not say ‘Ireland and Northern Ireland’. You’re still in Ireland when you cross into Newry.

Mickeymac

Much worse sir, can't do it, mods are totally west brit.

theloner

How did you break all your bones?

occams_butterknife

Irish politicians would do their best but the more cultured tones of British politicians – Macmillan, Thatcher, Blair – suggested the confidence of a much larger and more powerful political unit than Ireland possessed, north or south.
Why the lack of confidence? What is a cultured tone? BBC English?

When I hear the tones of a Thatcher or Blair, I think "war pig" and give thanks that I am Irish.

Socratus O' Pericles

There was a time when British football managers ruled the footballing waves. Brian Clough, Bill Shankley, Alf Ramsey: it was hard to think of more gifted managers. But look through managers of Premier League clubs today and what do you find? Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp: European coaching talent has totally eclipsed anything Britain can produce.Ditto for players.

It once was the same with politics. Irish politicians would do their best but the more cultured tones of British politicians – Macmillan, Thatcher, Blair – suggested the confidence of a much larger and more powerful political unit than Ireland possessed, north or south.

You could put another person's work in quotes, 'twould be no harm.

GDPR

MacMillan was pure class, but he went back to WW1. By the time he became PM, he was a fossil and a relict. English satirists, like Peter Cook, (who was pretty posh himself, came from a diplomatic family) had a field day with his Edwahrdian tones. He had a whole dotty old uncle in the bathchair vibe.

Thatchers utterly artificial accent would break down under pressure, as when she ended up screeching in broad Lincolnshire "Ah yeh're frightened, yeh're frit" at the Opposition. She was a bloody fishwife. Vulgar, vulgar woman.

Blair was an actor, thats all he ever was.

Now who else do you want me to discuss? The only real gentlemen I can remember were Michael Foot and Tony Benn. Labour always had the classiest types.

Sword of Gideon

You could put another person's work in quotes, 'twould be no harm.
I thought the most interesting bit in the piece was this.

I don’t for a moment think the EU isn’t in need of reform. I don’t like the way Germany and France are able to call the shots and small states like the south of Ireland have to do what they’re bid
Not in line with other republicans who say RoI have the same say as everyone else in the EU

Dedogs

when i saw the title i thought cowan and harney were goin on operation transformation.... :(:(;)

Popular Threads

Most Replies