• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Siege of Tralee, 1920

JohnD66

In the first week of November 1920, Tralee was oout under lockdown by RIC and Black and Tan forces in reprisal for a series of IRA shootings on the night of October31st-Novembers 1st that led at least 7 poolicemen dead and 9 more wounded.

Two of the dead were missing and the 'siege of Tralee' was an effort to force the IRA to releae them, they were in fact already dead.

The Siege of Tralee, November 1

This grim series of reprisals on both sides may be used for propganda of one side or th other but perhaps the best lesson to take from it is simply the brutality of political violence?

Last edited:

Hitch 22

In the first week of November 1920, Tralee was oout under lockdown by RIC and Black and Tan forces in reprisal for a series of IRA shootings on the night of OCtober31st-Novembers 1st that led at least 7 poolicemen dead and 9 more wounded.

Two of the dead were missing and the 'siege of Tralee' was an effort to force the IRA to releae them, they were in fact already dead.

This grim series of reprisals on both sides may be used for propganda of one side or th other but perhaps the best lesson to take from it is simply the brutality of political violence?
It never would have happened if the democratic wishes of the majority of Irish people had been respected in 1918 and the establishment Dail Eireann had not been met with repression and terror by Crown forces against the Irish people.

JohnD66

It never would have happened if the democratic wishes of the majority of Irish people had been respected in 1918 and the establishment Dail Eireann had not been met with repression and terror by Crown forces against the Irish people.
You've changed your tune!

THat's true though. My sympathies would be entirely with the republians of the era. I just think it's important to remember that violence, wherever it comes from or why is an ugly thing.

Last edited:

Lain2016

In the first week of November 1920, Tralee was oout under lockdown by RIC and Black and Tan forces in reprisal for a series of IRA shootings on the night of OCtober31st-Novembers 1st that led at least 7 poolicemen dead and 9 more wounded.

Surely the brutality of all violence or war...

Little_Korean

Wasn't all brutality, though:

Famously the RIC garrison in Listowell, in the north of the county mutinied rather than carry out instructions to shoot any republican suspects who failed to stop after a shouted warning.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Anybody interested in setting up a thread, 'The Siege of Tralee, 1974'?

;)

Kerrygold

It was a pretty dark time in Tralee alright. Not in the romantic sense that we were taught in schools though.

People were actually starved because the Brits blockaded the town so no food could get in. They killed a number of people indiscriminately on the streets including a pregnant mother in Caherina in Strand Road.

According to folklore the two policemen were burned alive in Tralee gas works. But that sounds like propaganda. More likely they were plugged and their bodies burned to hide the evidence.

A pretty bleak episode in our local history that got worldwide attention. Not many people locally probably even know about it.

Last edited:

NYCKY

The town is still under siege but these days it's by chavs.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Go on then, explain...
I'm just being mischievous.

In August of that year, a large number of soldiers of the Irish Defence Forces descended on the town ostensibly for the protection of a cash delivery van. All the cars on the streets were screened and hoteliers were compelled to produce lists of all their guests. There was, in essence, a lockdown on the town - or significant sections of it - for some time. Local Gardai were seemingly not informed of this action prior to it taking place.

The government of the time, Fine Gael-Labour coalition, refused to discuss this 'siege' - as it was then called - when the issue was raised by the media and parliamentary opposition.

JohnD66

In August of that year, a large number of soldiers of the Irish Defence Forces descended on the town ostensibly for the protection of a cash delivery van. All the cars on the streets were screened and hoteliers were compelled to produce lists of all their guests. There was, in essence, a lockdown on the town - or significant sections of it - for some time. Local Gardai were seemingly not informed of this action prior to it taking place.

The government of the time, Fine Gael-Labour coalition, refused to discuss this 'siege' - as it was then called - when the issue was raised by the media and parliamentary opposition.
Wow, 'Tans light'. Interesting, thanks. Of course rumour is some dodgy things happened there with Irish soldiers in 1923 too...

S

SeamusNapoleon

Wow, 'Tans light'. Interesting, thanks. Of course rumour is some dodgy things happened there with Irish soldiers in 1923 too...
Jaysus, apologies for derailing the thread - I will contribute something on the actual OP later - but what is this about 1923?

Kerrygold

They burned down the town hall that time too.

Sinn Féin have asked the council to erect a plaque on the old town hall (where Fabric is/was) to commemorate it. I think it would be fitting to mark such an important event in local history.

Or would it offend visitors from Britain? :roll:

Bea C

As I keep saying, my Mother's Mother had her legs broken by the black& tans the day McKinnon was shot (21 April 1921).
One of the things that made that man loathed was an incident Christmas night of 1920. This involved the killing of my Father's Mother's uncle in Ballymac. Himself and another were executed in cold blood, and McKinnon then ordered the house to be burnt.

Roberto Jordan

Sorry to offend Kerry sensibilities; that reference went completely over my head.
I thought we were discussing some new revelation!
Was tralee not the location of an incident with an FS army officer and personal side arm also ....or am I wrong?

Cruimh

Is that from Wikipedia ? ;)

Picasso Republic

Murder and killing are a part of war and it was a "War of Independence" - in terms of respecting the majority wishes, different times and the concept was only in its infancy.

In terms of Tralee - it saddens me that almost 100 years later the descendants of those who fought so hard for freedom voted for the destruction of the town centre and the construction of a mini-britain on its outskirts - perhaps SF should look at putting up a plaque to their contribution to the demise of Tralee in the here and now before looking for some kudos by resurrecting something from the history books.