The silent graphs thread

Nitrogen

Based on this: http://www.politics.ie/forum/history/171694-silent-photo-thread-contains-graphic-images.html

A thread to post graphs without comment that tell us something about the world we live in.

Silent graphs = decontextualised data

They are therefore inherently prone to being misleading.

For instance, the graph you post, like many graph from the financial sector, has a Y axis which does not include zero.
Why is such misleading graphics the norm in finance?

If the y axis went all the way down to zero, this info could be conveyed with the context clearer.

statsman

Silent graphs = decontextualised data

They are therefore inherently prone to being misleading.

For instance, the graph you post, like many graph from the financial sector, has a Y axis which does not include zero.
Why is such misleading graphics the norm in finance?

If the y axis went all the way down to zero, this info could be conveyed with the context clearer.
Great post; just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I suggested that the poster of the graph make no comment, but I said nothing about not responding.

As to your question, I honestly don't know why the Y axis is so often foreshortened like this; I wish I did.

between the bridges

Great post; just the kind of thing I was hoping for. I suggested that the poster of the graph make no comment, but I said nothing about not responding.

As to your question, I honestly don't know why the Y axis is so often foreshortened like this; I wish I did.
To convey the chosen message to the appropriate audience..

Example: you are presenting to different groups on anticipated redundancies in a company of one thousand people. The aim is to reduce the number of staff to 900 over a period of several months..

When presenting to senior management, setting the y-axis to start at 900 shows great progress.

When presenting to unions, setting the base at 0 reduces the visual impact.

Clanrickard

statsman

There was an interesting programme on RTE last night, Weather Live. They talked about a shrub in the Botanic Gardens in Dublin where records of seasonal cycles have been kept for 40 years. It now flowers two weeks earlier, on average, than it did 40 years ago.

between the bridges

There was an interesting programme on RTE last night, Weather Live. They talked about a shrub in the Botanic Gardens in Dublin where records of seasonal cycles have been kept for 40 years. It now flowers two weeks earlier, on average, than it did 40 years ago.
Indeed, the graphic also shows how the term West Brit tis incorrect yez are all either South West Brit or Narth West Brit...

between the bridges

Hillmanhunter1

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies