• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The situation that the Eritrean people have put themselves in.

davidcameron

'Africa's North Korea': Why do people flee Eritrea? - Channel 4 News

Around 6 per cent of Eritrea’s population lives outside the country, and thousands more flee every month. But why?

On the one hand the Eritrean government has much to be proud of. The country is achieving “unprecedented” success in meeting its Millennium Development Goals, particularly in the field of healthcare.

But the other side of Eritrean society is a dark and shocking place.

A recent United Nations report found that "systematic, widespread and gross human rights violations have been and are being committed in Eritrea under the authority of the government".

Eritreans make up a large number of those fleeing across the Mediterranean to Europe - around 15 per cent of the total reaching Europe’s sea border are from the country.

And the reason commonly cited for the dangerous journey to Europe - Eritrea’s national service, which though legally compulsory for 18 months, in reality amounts to "indefinite enrollment in the military where conscripts are used as "forced labour", according to the UN.
Modern day Eritrea emerged from a war of independence fought over the annexation of the former Italian colony by Ethiopia. In 1993, at the end of a thirty-year military campaign carried out by the Eritrean Liberation Front and the Eritrean People's Liberation Front, the country's people voted overwhelmingly in favour of independence in a UN-monitored referendum.
I'm not saying that Ethiopia is a democracy but its situation is probably much better than Eritrea's. The fact that Eritrea is ruled by a dictator who keeps his compatriots in indefinite military service proves that it was stupid of Eritrean people to fight for their own state. They would have been better off under Ethiopian rule.

O

Oscurito

A complicated topic.

It's not ideal that Ethiopia is now land-locked. However, I think there's a good chance that a proper government will emerge in Eritrea in time.

Windowshopper

The Erithean disaster is something I don't know much about but I am not sure starting a thread with the title 'the situation Eritrean people have put themselves in' advances the argument in anyway. It veers very close to the 'oh if only the Africans stayed under the benevolent colonial yoke' thinking you sometimes see lazily thrown about.

Last edited:

Eire1976

The Erithean disaster is something I don't much about but I am not sure starting a thread with the title 'the situation Eritrean people have put themselves in' advances the argument in anyway. It veers very close to oh if only the Africans stayed under the benevolent colonial yolk thinking you sometimes see lazily thrown about.
They need some Africans that have lived in Europe for a while to go back and bring in the enlightened ways.

Gaston

Hmmmm, just a thought but the problems with people trying to get out of the place wouldn't perhaps be because its population is 50% sunni muslim & rising?

Nah, couldn't be. Sher why would anyone want to leave a country where half the people are proponents of the religion of peace?

the secretary

Mercurial

'Africa's North Korea': Why do people flee Eritrea? - Channel 4 News

I'm not saying that Ethiopia is a democracy but its situation is probably much better than Eritrea's. The fact that Eritrea is ruled by a dictator who keeps his compatriots in indefinite military service proves that it was stupid of Eritrean people to fight for their own state. They would have been better off under Ethiopian rule.
So, the people of Eritrea are to blame for the fact that they are being oppressed by their government?

davidcameron

The Erithean disaster is something I don't know much about but I am not sure starting a thread with the title 'the situation Eritrean people have put themselves in' advances the argument in anyway. It veers very close to the 'oh if only the Africans stayed under the benevolent colonial yolk' thinking you sometimes see lazily thrown about.
Eritreans were not under the 'colonial yolk' when they were fighting for their own state.

davidcameron

So, the people of Eritrea are to blame for the fact that they are being oppressed by their government?
It's a bit like still voting for Fianna Fáil after the truth about Bertie's finances came out - but a hundred times worse. They were better off under Ethiopian rule.

Mercurial

It's a bit like still voting for Fianna Fáil after the truth about Bertie's finances came out - but a hundred times worse. They were better off under Ethiopian rule.
Because they're incapable of ruling themselves?

Clanrickard

The Erithean disaster is something I don't know much about but I am not sure starting a thread with the title 'the situation Eritrean people have put themselves in' advances the argument in anyway. It veers very close to the 'oh if only the Africans stayed under the benevolent colonial yolk' thinking you sometimes see lazily thrown about.
They would be better off if the Italians were still running the place. That in itself is sad.

Mercurial

Your po-faced political correctness is neither productive nor amusing.

Eritrea is clearly being grossly misruled. Why don't you tell us why you think that's the case instead of sneering from the sidelines?
Apparently it's "po-faced political correctness" now to think that victims of oppressive regimes are not to blame for the fact that they are opposed.

Whatever the cause of it, it isn't because the Eritrean people are inherently incapable of ruling themselves.

davidcameron

Apparently it's "po-faced political correctness" now to think that victims of oppressive regimes are not to blame for the fact that they are opposed.

Whatever the cause of it, it isn't because the Eritrean people are inherently incapable of ruling themselves.
They gave him that power by not settling for life under Ethiopian rule. They don't seem to be ethnically different from Ethiopians.

Mercurial

They gave him that power by not settling for life under Ethiopian rule. They don't seem to be ethnically different from Ethiopians.
Maybe they had this bizarre idea that political self-determination is a good thing.

Seanie Lemass

Eritreans were not under the 'colonial yolk' when they were fighting for their own state.

In fact, other than for a few years after the Italians invaded Ethiopia/Eritrea were only African country I think never to be properly colonised!

You would have to feel sorry for them. first the mad DERG and Menghistu wipe out a significant % of population with the "technical assistance" of the Cubans and Stasi. Then a famine. Then the Eritrean equivalent of Khmer Rouge take over much to the joy of European Care Bears who thought they were the dogs bollix.

They just pretend it is nothing to do with them now....

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Your post is not any sort of response to the view (whether correct or not) that the Eritrean people would be better off under Ethiopian rule.

In fact, what you said was so bleeding obvious, I naturally assumed you were joking. It seems you weren't. Go figure!

Understand my criticism now?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies