• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Social Democrats

Parnell

Finally a party that represents the ideals and values that I want to see in Irish Society and Government. The Social democrats www.socialdemocrats.ie

I was at the launch yesterday and glad to see that a good slice of the similar minded campaigners I've met over the last five years were there ready to get behind the Social Democrats. I've no doubt we'll see strong and energetic GE candidates emerging over the next few months - candidates of high calibre, commitment, and competency.

I've put this post up to get people talking about the party, the Nordic model (its fit for Ireland), and its policies. So get talking!

Mods - I wasn't sure where to put the post, so if you want to set up a Social Democrats forum and put it there that'd be great.

LobsterG

I signed up yesterday too, I'm very pleased to finally be able to join a party. I wonder though will they take on board my key topic, the ending of the preposterous drug war!

Plebian

Best of luck to the New Labour project.

If it goes well it can in time mop up the shattered remnants of the Old Labour Party.

Parnell

Gary Gannon and Cian O'Callaghan were there, and I think I spotted David Hall. Niall O'Tuathaill was also there with some of his team. He's one to watch in Galway West.

Last edited:

LobsterG

OldHat

The opportunity is there for them, lots of disillusioned voters looking for something different.

Honesty and openness would be very refreshing.
Unfortunately yesterday wasn't a great start for them, they show all the signs of being too ingrained in our system to really change.

The Nordic model and tax cuts, abolish water charges, it's just more all things to everyone.

Why can't we have a party which tells it like it is,
The Nordic model of public services, but hey that's going to cost money so you'll pay more tax, but we will keep that to a minimum by getting better value, we will reform the public sector, become leaner and meaner, you will have less money in your pocket but will have a better lifestyle.

That's a message that would work.

NYCKY

You know the answer to that, unless your Portuguese and under 12.
Oh I know the answer and leaving aside whether or not you really believe that there is a war on drugs if that is your reason for joining any party, it's a strange set of priorities.

Sister Mercedes

I'm attracted by the caliber of the three main promoters, and also by the Nordic model (which is really a number of different political philosophies, the emphasis changing depending on whether its a center-right or center-left government). But board principles of the NM would include being pro-markets but regulating them, an emphasis on getting people off the dole and into work even if that means subsidizing their pay/training while they get back on their feet, environmental sustainability, high quality public services, subsidized child-care to encourage parents into the workforce and of course a zero tolerance for corruption and waste of resources.

Squib

I'm attracted by the caliber of the three main promoters, and also by the Nordic model (which is really a number of different political philosophies, the emphasis changing depending on whether its a center-right or center-left government). But board principles of the NM would include being pro-markets but regulating them, an emphasis on getting people off the dole and into work even if that means subsidizing their pay/training while they get back on their feet, environmental sustainability, high quality public services, subsidized child-care to encourage parents into the workforce and of course a zero tolerance for corruption and waste of resources.
It is fantastic to see this development.

I am wondering what their policy will be on the waste of public money in the charity industry and Irish Aid. Also their immigration policy, are they going to ape Sweden in that respect (I hope not)?

statsman

Two P.ie threads already? Clearly a great success.

farnaby

Two P.ie threads already? Clearly a great success.

The other one descended into yet another water charge debate for some reason and its title is rather opaque; can the mods keep this one open please

P Ryan

So long as they don't fold in to the establishment as yet another middle class party, I honestly wish them luck. This probably doesn't bode well for Labour as well as the SD's will be eating away at Labour's remaining middle class vote...you'd wonder who'll be left at this rate.
Hopefully they won't have a load of ex Worker party labourites attempt to jump ship and hollow this party out from the inside out over time...

flavirostris

We all love a "Nordic model". Personally I think Victoria Silvstedt is the cat's pyjamas.. but the Social Democrats are saying they want a Nordic model that nobody has to pay for.

That's basically Fianna Fail.

statsman

As I posted on the other thread, they need structures on the ground and funding for campaigns in place in advance of a GE that's probably 7 months away. That's not going to happen.

Consequently, they are likely to have five or six candidates running, with most people unable to vote for them as a result. Those candidates will mostly be people who were elected as Indos, and may suffer a loss of votes by virtue of dropping that label. Hard to see them making much of an impact, under the circumstances.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies