• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Sophisticated Irish Electorate

ShoutingIsLeadership

"We all jumped on the bandwagon. We bought a nice big house. This government ain't doing anything for me" "FF came to my door and said they would do it for me (fix his mortgage); FG didn't do that for me".

"Enda Kenny put his hand out to me but I refused to shake it and told him I could never shake it, after what his government did to me". "We paid €36,000 in stamp duty and now we can't afford this house".

"Micheal Martin came to my hall door and explained that he could have taken the pension and retired at the last general election, but he didn't and I respect that". "We can see now that it wasn't just FF's fault, the whole world economy is in trouble".

These are the words (roughly) of a married couple from Meath East, interviewed for tonight's Late Debate, and asked to explain why they voted for FF's Thomas Byrne.

I hope the Troika never leaves.

Last edited:

GDPR

"We all jumped on the bandwagon. We bought a nice big house. This government ain't doing anything for me" "FF came to my door and said they would do it for me (fix his mortgage); FG didn't do that for me".

"Enda Kenny put his hand out to me but I refused to shake it and told him I could never shake it, after what his government did to me". "We paid €36,000 in stamp duty and now we can't afford this house".

"Micheal Martin came to my hall door and explained that he could have taken the pension and retired at the last general election, but he didn't and I respect that". "We can see know that it was just FF's fault, the whole world economy is in trouble".

These are the words (roughly) of a married couple from Meath East, interviewed for tonight's Late Debate, and asked to explain why they voted for FF's Thomas Byrne.

Can you expand on your difficulty at all?

GDPR

This couple got into a mess during the FF years and is blaming this government for that mess.
No they're not. They're, rightly, blaming this Government for expecting them to pay a property tax when they can't pay their mortgage and after they recently paid a very large amount of stamp duty, a not unreasonable point of view I think and a point of view that FF have supported in recent policies. They're also, as I heard it, blaming this Government for promising the sun, moon and stars before the last election and delivering nothing for them, again, a not unreasonable point of view.

You were listening, but you didn't hear what they were saying.

Riadach

No they're not. They're, rightly, blaming this Government for expecting them to pay a property tax when they can't pay their mortgage and after they recently paid a very large amount of stamp duty, a not unreasonable point of view I think and a point of view that FF have supported in recent policies. They're also, as I heard it, blaming this Government for promising the sun, moon and stars before the last election and delivering nothing for them, again, a not unreasonable point of view.
And why does their government need them to pay property tax?

Do they have a massive debt burden to pay off or something?

james5001

Recent policies? How coincidental that they're supporting it in recent policies and they're out of government. How coincidental.
2nd bold point- That's not a reason to vote for FF. FF are masters at that kind of thing.

Marcos the black

FF signed us up to Property tax as part of the "bailout negotiations"

GDPR

And why does their government need them to pay property tax?
Because this Government choose that means of raising cash as against any other way, raising extra from those on 100,000 PA, for example.

A choice that is unfair, regressive and damaging to the domestic economy.

Ulster-Lad

Maybe they can get their €36k Stamp Duty back? That will help them pay their bills.

Old Irish

Anyone that would ever vote for Fianna Fail is, well, how do I put it...A big Thick!

darkhorse

"Micheal Martin came to my hall door and explained that he could have taken the pension and retired at the last general election, but he didn't and I respect that". "We can see know that it wasn't just FF's fault, the whole world economy is in trouble".

Go back and look at the FG and Lab manifestos of the 2007 election
They would have done exactly the same thing - if not worse
FF just happened to be sitting on the chair when the music stopped

sadmal

They don't take any responsibility for the mess they're in either? Or hold FF responsibile for the mess we all in today? So Michael Martin is telling voters he could have retired with his fat pension, but didn't and they respect him for that? Why?

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

No they're not. They're, rightly, blaming this Government for expecting them to
pay a property tax when they can't pay their mortgage and after they recently paid a very large amount of stamp duty, a not unreasonable point of view I think and a point of view that FF have supported in recent policies. They're also, as I heard it, blaming this Government for promising the sun, moon and stars before the last election and delivering nothing for them, again, a not unreasonable point of view.

I heard loud and clear what they were saying. It was a typical selfish and wilfully ignorant attitude from a couple unwilling to see the wood for the trees.

The fact the woman refused to shake Kenny's hand but welcomed Martin - a man at the cabinet table which destroyed this country - because he promised to look after them, says it all.

Still the thick Paddy voting for the person who promised the most.

I heard them loud and clear.

GDPR

Recent policies? How coincidental that they're supporting it in recent policies and they're out of government. How coincidental.
2nd bold point- That's not a reason to vote for FF. FF are masters at that kind of thing.
1. They said that when they were in Government.
2. Not really no, if anything FF can be blamed for doing exactly what they said they would do.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Go back and look at the FG and Lab manifestos of the 2007 election

They would have done exactly the same thing - if not worse
FF just happened to be sitting on the chair when the music stopped
Sure why not install FF forever and stop having elections?

mr. jings

Didn't FF agree to a property tax with the Troika in their 2010 Memorandum of Understanding?

Last edited:

GDPR

I heard loud and clear what they were saying. It was a typical selfish and wilfully ignorant attitude from a couple unwilling to see the wood for the trees.

The fact the woman refused to shake Kenny's hand but welcomed Martin - a man at the cabinet table which destroyed this country - because he promised to look after them, says it all.

Still the thick Paddy voting for the person who promised the most.

I heard them loud and clear.
I don't think so.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Because this Government choose that means of raising cash as against any other way,
raising extra from those on 100,000 PA, for example.

A choice that is unfair, regressive and damaging to the domestic economy.
Crying about the property tax, but throwing themselves into the arms of the party which had them write a cheque for the equivalent of about 75 years' property tax, when they bought the house.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies