• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

consultant

Your description of the Soldiers of Density (not a typo) is spot on but I'd take issue with the last line. It has everything to do with the general populace.

Your vote is democracy divided by the number of voters. It's the individual's responsibility to educate him/herself on what casting that vote for a certain candidate and party entails. Too many people don't bother to do that, either because they're too lazy, misguided or just plain stupid. If people are going to vote for Mickey John because he's the Fianna Fail candidate and make no allowance for the fact that the same guy is a shady-dealing, half-educated, slimy moron who you wouldn't like to see your daughter dating, then they shouldn't be surprised if their country goes pear-shaped when Mickey John gets his greasy paws on the levers of power.

It's as simple as 2+2. Fianna Fail has the potential to be a party capable of good government. It has some good TDs, like John McGuinness. But men like McGuinness don't get anywhere because they won't be cannon-fodder for people who they know are intellectually inferior. After years of being in power and being corrupted by its associations with well-heeled knackers and maladministered by corrupt leaders and ministers, the party is now ethically, morally and intellectually destitute. It needs to go into the outback to re-invent itself. It needs to forget about power and fix what's gone wrong in its own heart and soul.

Until it does that it should remain a political pariah.

Good, accurate post and to clarify, what I was saying (badly, obviously) is that in in the FF view, sovereignty is their total perogative. To them, it does not relate to the populace.

Thank you for highlighting my lack of clarity and in doing so, eloquently completing the thrust of my post.

loner

Indeed, and well you might have a point if the people inspired by the 1916 Declaration had succeeded but they were put down by the majority who borrowed British ordanance to do the job. The Irish State never held their values, it had the ideology of the people who either never held them or who abandoned them.
This is simply not true--an Irish democracy was established by the wishes of the Irish people and efforts to destroy that democracy were repulsed by the democratically elected representatives of the people.The Irish State in recent years departed significantly from the ideals of those who founded the State and we are now seeing the result ot this departure unfolding before our eyes.It is now time for the Irish people to shout stop andto return to thespirit that guided the State in its early years.

roc_

... It is now time for the Irish people to shout stop and to return to the spirit that guided the State in its early years.
No, no, no. You have got it wrong. It is precisely this 'spirit that guided the State in its early years' that is to blame for our current woes. It is the same. History has only repeated and perpetuated itself. PLEASE watch from 1.55mins to around 5.30mins on the old documentary I posted on page 1 of this thread to see what you are talking about.

kerdasi amaq

What is national Sovereignty anyway?

roc_

Last edited:
Last edited:
What is national Sovereignty anyway?
Good question. To my mind, and considering that the Irish public have often advocated both republican and democratic ideals in our history of the last hundred or two years, it consists in the fact that the supreme power and authority lies in the body of citizens of this country.

So this should entail, I think, that our body of citizens are given the opportunity to become, and express themselves, as Plato put it, as 'Kings and Philosophers'.

The point I wanted to try and get across on this thread, for my own part anyway, was that the conditions nurtured by the Fianna Fail party and the institutions they developed, and the Irish establishment in its entirety for that matter (with some noble exceptions), since 1922, have been absolutely antithetical to this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom