• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The spirit of 1916 lives on

statsman

'orebel

SeanieFitz

I don't see any dichotomy between being a Celtic supporter and opposing a royal visit. How welcome do you think Charles and Camilla would be at Celtic Park?

Supporting a team located in United Kingdom, a British team, while calling for "Brits out".........seems a little foolish to me, but hey you might believe that it makes perfect sense in your world.

Couldn't care less about what welcome Charles and Camilla get in Celtic Park or Donegal for that matter. My opinion is these 2 "protesters" look like idiots with 1 one of them wearing a shirt of a British team.

statsman

I don't see any dichotomy between being a Celtic supporter and opposing a royal visit. How welcome do you think Charles and Camilla would be at Celtic Park?
Well, I suppose it could be argued that anyone dumb enough to support Celtic is capable of anything.

Roy Feen

Not quite up there with Cetic fan "no to foreign games in croker" protest.
I don't see the contradiction there. Were Celtic lobbying to play in Croke Park?

Was the Celtic fan protesting against foreign games altogether, or just foreign games being played in Croke park?

If I'm against Formula 1 races in my local park, does that mean I have to disassociate from Formula 1, and appreciating it, entirely?

Polly Ticks

I think a lot of people just don't know how strong the ties between Donegal and Glasgow (and by extension, Celtic) are either.

Strawberry

Supporting a team located in United Kingdom, a British team, while calling for "Brits out".........seems a little foolish to me, but hey you might believe that it makes perfect sense in your world.

Couldn't care less about what welcome Charles and Camilla get in Celtic Park or Donegal for that matter. My opinion is these 2 "protesters" look like idiots with 1 one of them wearing a shirt of a British team.
People in the United Kingdom can hold republican beliefs too ya know! Celtic fans are well known for having Irish republican leanings specifically, so there's no contradiction between expressing those sentiments in Ireland and supporting a team known for the same sentiments in Scotland.

roc_

I wouldn't call that the spirit of 1916.

Nonviolent expression of opinion is a part of the way we live in our society.

Now, violent speech that constitutes a clear danger to any party, no matter who they are, is something different.

Idiots (whether good-looking or plug-ugly) are allowed to express their opinion too. That's just the way it is.

Roy Feen

I wouldn't call that the spirit of 1916.

Nonviolent expression of opinion is a part of the way we live in our society.

Now, violent speech that forms a clear and present danger to any party, no matter who they are, is something different.

Idiots (whether good-looking or plug-ugly) are allowed to express their opinion too. That's just the way it is.
Catch up bro. The article and, by extension, the thread is about how stupid those ill-bred Celtic jersey wearing oiks are when irritating our royal family. Nothing to do with violent speech.

Belfastdan

Well, I suppose it could be argued that anyone dumb enough to support Celtic is capable of anything.
So do you think that only intelligent people support the dodgy dealers of the EPL?

That Dermot Desmond boy must be a right ejit!

roc_

Catch up bro. The article and, by extension, the thread is about how stupid those ill-bred Celtic jersey wearing oiks are when irritating our royal family. Nothing to do with violent speech.
My point. They are being attacked for having an opinion, basically.

And I've seen many much stupider opinions on here btw.

(And a lot of violent speech for that matter).

SeanieFitz

I don't see the contradiction there. Were Celtic lobbying to play in Croke Park?

Was the Celtic fan protesting against foreign games altogether, or just foreign games being played in Croke park?

If I'm against Formula 1 races in my local park, does that mean I have to disassociate from Formula 1, and appreciating it, entirely?
If you want to be pedantic about it I don't believe you are comparing like with like............our brave celtic shirt wearing soldiers didn't seem to protest at American football being played in Croke Pr (surely a foreign game), didn't protest at France v Ireland rugby game but protested before England v Ireland for (in their mind) political reasons.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies