The sporting contests that you wished you had seen take place.

gerhard dengler

.............but didn't.

I'm talking here about matches or races or whatever where the best practitioners in a given code that never got to compete against one another, from the same era.

I can think of several : the great West Indies cricket team of the 1970's playing against arguably as good a cricket team, South Africa.
A SA team containing the likes of Barlow, Pollock brothers, Procter, Richards, against a WI team including Lloyd, Greenidge, Richards, would have been something else.

1991 South African rugby team playing New Zealand or Australia.

Fischer - Karpov chess match that was scheduled to be held in 1975, which never went ahead.

Steve Collins - Roy Jones Junior fight that never happened.

Muhammad Ali - Teofilo Stevenson fight that might have happened.

Betson

I would liked to have seen Pacquiao vs Mayweather when they were in their prime and hungry for titles rather than when they were both past it and just doing it for pay cheque.

razorblade

Man Utd vs Liverpool contesting cl final 2007, it looked a real possibility when they both reached the semi finals, and drew ac milan and chelsea respectily, unforunataly it wasnt to be after winning the 1st leg 3-2 United lost the return leg 3-0 to be eliminated while Liverpool beat Chelsea, on a penalty shootout in the other semi final to go through to the final where they subsequently were defeated by Milan by 2 goals to 1, i would have loved it to be a Man U vs Liverpool final, sadly it wasnt to be.

Mushroom

Flippantly, Mary Lou versus Mary Harney in a cage.

More seriously, I'd really like to have seen the wonderful Danie Gerber in his prime playing international rugby for SA.

Before BOD came along, Gerber was the best centre that I had ever seen. Today, he remains among the best two.

between the bridges

Tyson v Adams....

D

Deleted member 45466

Some of the 1970s World/European cup games.

Liverpool v St Etienne (1977?)

Argentina v Holland (1978)

Brazil v USSR (1982)

Ireland v France WC Qualifier (1981)

Far too young to appreciate any of them, but there's something unique about this era of soccer rooney ball. Perhaps it's the hairstyles and kits?

Here's the '78 French WC team wearing a local Argentinian club's shirts, after their own had been stolen.

May I draw your attention to the cool looking rolled down socks which are now outlawed.

Rugby:

France v Kiwis in (1999)

France v England in (1991)

Ireland v England in (2007)

Aus v Ireland (1991)

Ireland v France (1983).

Boxing:

Any fight involving Ali.

Tennis:

Bjorg versus McEnroe in 1980 I think?

Synchronised swimming:

Any era as long as the lovely ladies are showing of their lovely legs/ankles.

gerhard dengler

Some of the 1970s World/European cup games.

Liverpool v St Etienne (1977?)

Argentina v Holland (1978)

Brazil v USSR (1982)

Ireland v France WC Qualifier (1981)

Far too young to appreciate any of them, but there's something unique about this era of soccer rooney ball. Perhaps it's the hairstyles and kits?

Here's the '78 French WC team wearing a local Argentinian club's shirts, after their own had been stolen.

May I draw your attention to the cool looking rolled down socks which are now outlawed.

Rugby:

France v Kiwis in (1999)

France v England in (1991)

Ireland v England in (2007)

Aus v Ireland (1991)

Ireland v France (1983).

Boxing:

Any fight involving Ali.

Tennis:

Bjorg versus McEnroe in 1980 I think?

Synchronised swimming:

Any era as long as the lovely ladies are showing of their lovely legs/ankles.

I'm not talking about matches/contests which took place.

I'm talking about matches/contests which should have taken place, but didn't.

For example Teofilo Stevenson was the great 3 time heavyweight Olympic boxing champion. He was Cuban. He was unbeatable. He was also an amateur.
He and Ali were contemporaries : they should have fought, but they never did.

Capiche?

D

Deleted member 45466

I'm not talking about matches/contests which took place.

I'm talking about matches/contests which should have taken place, but didn't.

For example Teofilo Stevenson was the great 3 time heavyweight Olympic boxing champion. He was Cuban. He was unbeatable. He was also an amateur.
He and Ali were contemporaries : they should have fought, but they never did.

Capiche?
Apologies my friend. I got about 4 hours of shut eye last night.

Hmmm....

I'd go with an earlier suggestion Tyson versus Jarry.

How about a who would you like to see in a knacker boxing match on P.ie?

gerhard dengler

PBP voter

France V NZ at the 1995 world cup.

South Africa winning was great for so many reasons but the final was a bit dour compared to many of the other games in the tournament.

France V New Zealand produce two classics the summer before.

Round tower

.............but didn't.

I'm talking here about matches or races or whatever where the best practitioners in a given code that never got to compete against one another, from the same era.

I can think of several : the great West Indies cricket team of the 1970's playing against arguably as good a cricket team, South Africa.
A SA team containing the likes of Barlow, Pollock brothers, Procter, Richards, against a WI team including Lloyd, Greenidge, Richards, would have been something else.

1991 South African rugby team playing New Zealand or Australia.

Fischer - Karpov chess match that was scheduled to be held in 1975, which never went ahead.

Steve Collins - Roy Jones Junior fight that never happened.

Muhammad Ali - Teofilo Stevenson fight that might have happened.
Ireland V England in a World cup final in rugby or soccer, it would shut the whole country for the day. Of course seeing Mayo beat Dublin in a All. Ireland final.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I have only the vaguest memories now of perhaps the most exciting sporting occasion I have ever seen and would love to watch video of it once again. As a child I somehow became interested, possibly on one rainy day, in the Horse Show from the RDS and the showjumping.

This was the era of the great Spanish and Irish showjumping teams. Eddie Macken and Con Power when he was a lieuftenant. Raymondo Den Zeo.

As I remember it, and would caution that I think a number of memories of jump-offs against the clock may have blended into one overall glimpse at this point, it came down to a very tight course of turns with the final challenge for horse and rider being the Wall which was made higher as the competition progressed.

My memory of this one most exciting even was the jump off against the clock with Eddie Macken on Boomerang, a horse that always looked smaller than the others when lined up at the start of the competition.

As the day went on the course became tighter in turns, the four-faults eliminated much of the field and in the end it was Eddie Macken on Boomerang against another competitor (Shockemoehle the German perhaps?).

My heart sank when the camera fixed on the Wall being raised yet again and I knew that Macken on Boomerang was up against a rider on a horse with a bigger frame and a better chance of getting over the wall which was a stupid height of somewhere around nine feet or something equally impossible.

The other rider went clear in an immaculate ride of beautiful turns and a display of trust between horse and rider that in itself was gorgeous to see. It takes something for a horse to trust its rider so much that it will jump something where it cannot see the other side of the fence. Doubles, treble fences where one misplaced hoof or mistimed turn meant disaster and elimination.

Macken and Boomerang to finish and my heart sinking because there was no way that they would beat the other fellow against the clock where tenths of a second are all that separate the winners and competition oblivion and always the tick of the hooves against the bar of the fence that is a millimetre from having a fence down and four points deduction and immediate relegation to a place beyond third or fourth with the others in the four-fault shame league. The excluded.

No matter. I'd watch it anyway if only to complete the thing and the Wall was sitting there at the end like an upright Doom for a horse on the small side for a showjumper.

Off goes Macken to the bell and the white numbers ticking over very fast on the screen, the first few fences routine and the clock showing in seconds and tenths of a second bubbling along against the leader's time on the bottom of the screen. The RDS silent, a large crowd hardly daring to draw breath as Macken and Boomerang performed this weirdly trusting ballet between horse and rider that only the very best can do and that transcends all the rules of natural horse behaviour.

The Oxo, the double, the treble and foolishly a small spark as I can see that Macken is right on the foreign lad's time almost to the tenth of a second on the horribly tight turn to face into the final sequence of fences. Nothing down yet anyway. No four-fault despair.

Into the sequence and Macken and Boomerang are perfect, ticking over the fences nicely and every set of the hoof just right like clockwork. Bang on the leader's time and the dreadful spin of a turn to set Boomerang up for the approach to the bloody Wall and where I knew it would be all over as there were faults there easily. I only had time to hope that Boomerang wouldn't refuse altogether and the absolute bastard of a camera-editor chose that moment to switch to a camera view which was beyond the Wall and all you could see was Eddie Macken's riding hat bobbing towards it and here and there the tip of Boomerang's ears.

The bloody horse climbed the Wall. It did NOT jump it. Macken vertical along its back and belly scraped over the impossible Wall and a brick shifted and left hanging behind them as Boomerang came down damn near vertical again and Macken lying along its back to the point where he could have stepped off the creature if his boots weren't trapped in the stirrups and to this day I do not know how that horse and rider jumped that fence. By the numbers it should not have been possible. And not only that to recover from what had begun to look suspiciously like a fall in progress and straight into a full cavalry gallop to the line with the RDS screaming its head off in the background and inside the leader's time by what I think was two-tenths of a second at the end of two minutes of riding and an eternity of awaiting what I thought was an inevitable disappointment of a fallen fence.

While Macken and Boomerang were in a full gallop around the outside line of the RDS with the horse with its ears full back and Macken clearly not quite believing it himself and looking back over his shoulder the camera angle changed to show the brick on the Wall shaped to look like the eaves of a house just hanging there by a shred of balance.

It was like the bus at the end of the Italian Job dangling over the abyss.

My one absolutely clear image is of that camera angle switch to behind the Wall and all I could see of Macken and Boomerang and the impossibility of horse and rider getting up near vertical, clearing it, near vertical again on the way down and the burst into the gallop for the line from near stationary position.

I've seen many an exciting sporting moment since- Cup Finals, World Cup and what have you but nothing yet has excited me as much as Eddie Macken and Boomerang against the clock and the Wall at the RDS that year.

I've little to no experience of riding and horsemanship but just enough to know what horse and rider did that day. For conditions in which to excel, an excitable animal and enough trust between horse and rider to attempt the near impossible against the clock and no room for a wrong step in an eternity of ways in which to go wrong in a minute and a half to two minutes but that was the best moment for me and I'll never forget them coming over the Wall and Boomerang's nose horribly close down to the ground and the split second recovery in perfect unison of both and the charge out of the near disaster for the finish line.

It was the ultimate sporting moment I've ever seen and I'd not tire of it in slow motion or realtime.

Last edited:

Mushroom

johnnypockets

Man Utd vs Liverpool contesting cl final 2007, it looked a real possibility when they both reached the semi finals, and drew ac milan and chelsea respectily, unforunataly it wasnt to be after winning the 1st leg 3-2 United lost the return leg 3-0 to be eliminated while Liverpool beat Chelsea, on a penalty shootout in the other semi final to go through to the final where they subsequently were defeated by Milan by 2 goals to 1, i would have loved it to be a Man U vs Liverpool final, sadly it wasnt to be.
Thank god united bottled it when they did. My heart could never have taken it.

ger12

blinding

David versus Goliath......I am a sucker for an underdog......

Mayo A versus Mayo B for the All Ireland as then Mayo would " Probably " win..........

Mushroom

I'd wallop the pair of ye ... have your discussion and reconsider ...

Do you favour the baseball bat or the hurley?

I have a cricket bat and a croquet mallet, although both of them have seen better days.

ger12

Do you favour the baseball bat or the hurley?

I have a cricket bat and a croquet mallet, although both of them have seen better days.
My wooden spoon will do nicely ...

New Threads

Most Replies