• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The stark numbers: 1/4 school girls in South Africa have HIV.

Sync

BBC News - South Africa: 'Over 25% of schoolgirls HIV positive'

Terrifying stuff, 28% of school girls are HIV positive.

On the plus side, the country is taking it seriously now. For all the slating of Zuma, he and his health minister have more than doubled the amount of life saving drugs being issued to patients. We're some distance from Mbeki questioning how AIDS spreads.

But the figures are scary.

1/4 school girls have HIV

10% of the entire population has it

50% of the deaths in the country are as a result of Aids.

And SA is better at measuring the numbers and treating than many African countries, and more honest than Russia. How bad is this really in other countries.

ger12

Emm, and 4% of schoolboys are HIV positive.

Terrifying alright, for females in SA.

Socratus O' Pericles

Emm, and 4% of schoolboys are HIV positive.

Terrifying alright, for females in SA.
At least 28% of South African schoolgirls are HIV positive compared with 4% of boys because "sugar daddies" are exploiting them, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has said.
This is a serious epidemic which ought to have every resource legal,medical and finacial applied towards resolving it.

ger12

This is a serious epidemic which ought to have every resource legal,medical and finacial applied towards resolving it.
Yes it is and every resource should be applied, but how do you change a culture (a mindset) that simply does not value females in the same way as it values males ...

petaljam

Yes it is and every resource should be applied, but how do you change a culture (a mindset) that simply does not value females in the same way as it values males ...
Yes, that is a major problem. Recent violent rapes there which went almost unremarked at the same time as that awful murder in India show a huge problem of violence, especially sexual violence, against women.

Which is why I found it quite strange that the coverage of these HIV figures seems to emphasize the "Sugar Daddy" aspect.

I wouldn't deny that exists (poverty generally and a lack of career possibilities for women in particular are bound to make young girls easy prey for older men) but the sheer number of young women who are raped must be part of the explanation too. Especially as sex with a baby was thought by some men to be a cure for AIDS. Horrifying.
South Africa’s child-rape epidemic | Photographers Blog

The OD

It really does put our own problems into context when you think about it, totally heartbreaking to think of so many young people having to cope with such a horrific illness.

florin

Which is why I found it quite strange that the coverage of these HIV figures seems to emphasize the "Sugar Daddy" aspect.
I suppose because AIDS wouldn't pass to the young generation if the older generation doesn't pass it on. Although I'd say straightforward abuse by fathers/nieghbours/relatives could account for a good bit of it.

I was in Kenya around 1999 and was told that about 20%-30% of young adults had HIV. However, 13 years on, the population has grown 30% since then - which is impossible if 30% of the reproductive age population were dying of aids.

There are political games being played with these statistics, and not a lot of science.
Well, if the town next to you claims 15% infection, and you claim 20% infection, who gets the new hospital?

R

Ramps

At least it shows the whole " the Catholic Church's ban on condoms is killing millions" for the nonsense that it is.

There is something very strange about the spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.

Lempo

I think it was exactly South Africa where they have an actual name for the "profession" of a guy who on commission basis chats up gals and woos them and talks them into sexual intercourse and then when they go to his room and the light goes off the guy sneaks out in the dark while his client who's been hiding under the bed comes out and does the actual sex part.

Shpake

I was in Kenya around 1999 and was told that about 20%-30% of young adults had HIV. However, 13 years on, the population has grown 30% since then - which is impossible if 30% of the reproductive age population were dying of aids.

There are political games being played with these statistics, and not a lot of science.
Well yes, the Aids organizations need funding so they are inclined to up the figures.
Just getting down to the nitty-gritty, not disagreeing with you:
20->30% of pop with aids => 60% at best without aids
So that 60% grow to 130% over 13 years ... that's about a doubling of the population. That would be 4% growth p.a. Was there a lot of immigration too?
I recall when Aids first appeared, reading stories from American doctors on the ground in Kenya and around Lake Victoria. They reported that it was rampant. The WHO and UN parrotted the figures given out by the Kenian government (who wanted to protect their tourism industry) that there were 5 (five) cases of Aids when these doctors were talking in the hundreds of thousands. So yes it is probably even still a hot button issue with the statistics.

Hooch

Just to point out that the rates of new HIV infections in Sub-Saharan Africa have plummeted over the last several years.

UNAIDS reports a more than 50% drop in new HIV infections across 25 countries as countries approach the 1000 day deadline to achieve global AIDS targets

A new World AIDS Day report: Results, by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), shows that unprecedented acceleration in the AIDS response is producing results for people. The report shows that a more than 50% reduction in the rate of new HIV infections has been achieved across 25 low- and middle-income countries––more than half in Africa, the region most affected by HIV.

In some of the countries which have the highest HIV prevalence in the world, rates of new HIV infections have been cut dramatically since 2001; by 73% in Malawi, 71% in Botswana, 68% in Namibia, 58% in Zambia, 50% in Zimbabwe and 41% in South Africa and Swaziland.
Bolded the part relevant to the OP, the stats are still frighteningly high but they are getting better.

In addition to this, a Canadian research team is making very good progress with a prototype vaccine.

Canadian-developed HIV vaccine shows promising results, no adverse effects, say developers. | Toronto Star

Shpake

At least it shows the whole " the Catholic Church's ban on condoms is killing millions" for the nonsense that it is.

There is something very strange about the spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.
Don't get all fretted up about that. It's only sub saharan africans and homosexuals or drug addicts. Besides. they sinned.

Equinox

I've wondered that often. The statistics are pretty shocking. Are a good percentage of those with HIV recieving anti-retrovirals? If not you would have to assume that within a decade these societies would collapse, can you imagine any society being able to sustain itself with a quater of it's population debilitated by disease? The figures must be some kind of extrapolated BS.

Hitch 22

How many white South Africans have AIDS?

0.3%

How many Indian South Africans have AIDS?

0.3%

How many coloured South Africans have AIDS?

1.7%

How many black South Africans have AIDS?

13.6%

How many of the kids are HIV?

The main vector in these countries is unprotected sex. Don't be surprised if, errr, babies result.

D

Dylan2010

I've wondered that often. The statistics are pretty shocking. Are a good percentage of those with HIV recieving anti-retrovirals? If not you would have to assume that within a decade these societies would collapse, can you imagine any society being able to sustain itself with a quater of it's population debilitated by disease? The figures must be some kind of extrapolated BS.
Ive no idea but if they have lots of kids early in life and the disease takes several years to make you sick or kill you, you might still have a growing population? we are talking about countries with a life expentacy of 40-50 anyway

blokesbloke

At least it shows the whole " the Catholic Church's ban on condoms is killing millions" for the nonsense that it is.There is something very strange about the spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa.
Eh, how does it show that exactly?