The Stereotype of The Smelly Irish B, Was it Deserved and When and How Did We Lose it, If We Have?

General Urko

In The past the sleight of 'Smelly Irish Bastard' was often directed at us in The UK?
I think a lot of this was down to better access to water and sanitation facilities in Britain then there was here back in the day.

I also have a theory that a lot of us were adverse to washing ourselves due to living in very wet weather!:rolleyes:
Surely, by the 50s, virtually all Irish Men would have come to the conclusion that they should change their underpants at least once a week, whether they needed to or not!petunia

Or is personal hygiene generally handed down to us by our parents' habits? My father, when I was a child, was never known to wash himself and his jocks would have been a bacteriologist's wonderland as he generally wore them for about 10 days or so running. And running, they indeed were, with skidmarks 10 days old congregating with freshly made ones and given that he was an insane alcoholic, there would have been plenty of those skidmarks! And he had also lived and worked in England at stages!
BTW I do wash myself on a regular basis and also my clothes and in the last decade plus, change my socks and jocks daily!
However, I absolutely detest, getting shampoo in my eyes, although 'no more tears' is easy in that regard!

Or was personal hygiene, like honesty and playing foreign games, traditionally more the preserve of our Protestant Brothers and Sisters?

So did we deserve this traditional sleight? Were/are we especially smelly? And if it's gone or almost gone, what changed it? Indeed, do you look back with nostalgia on those more earthy days and smells?

I thank God, that I have an especially poor sense of smell!

Oh and BTW most women have a supersonic sense of smell compared to most men, which might explain a few issues in relationships and perceptions!petunia

Last edited:

General Urko

Perhaps this should be a prominent thread in the Community and Culture forum, mods, please feel free to move it there!petunia

eoghanacht

Wtf?

between the bridges

As it says in the good book thee usef wire brush and dettol...

General Urko

As I said this extremely genuine thread intention wise would not look out of place in the C and C forum or the History forum and is dealing with an important sociological/cultural issue!

raetsel

Perhaps this should be a prominent thread in the Community and Culture forum, mods, please feel free to move it there!petunia
Or maybe just create an entirely new forum for lunatics to obsess on.....................:)

General Urko

mac tíre

So we've learned Urko's aul fella was a smelly ape and that Urko is a slightly less smelly ape.

Thanks (I think) for that. :?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies