The strange death of conservative Ireland.

SevenStars

In the 1980s divorce and homosexual acts were illegal here.

Access to contraception very severely limited and not all chemists would stock it even if you did get a prescription.

A great proportion, maybe even a majiority given the results on the first divorce referendum, agreed with all this.

By the time the 90s ended you were an extremist wingnut if you wanted divorce and homosexuality made illegal again, no mind wanting to limit contraception to married couples.

So what happened? Part of the reason I think is that in the after effects of Vatican II the RCC hierarchy lost its inner conviction and therefore wasnt able to impress it on others....Part of the reason maybe also down to the ending of the cold war which made Roman Catholicism more of a hinderance than a help to the "social engineers" and put a "party" atmosphere in the air.

Its interesting that the Right on this forum tends to be more socially liberal than the Left.

What are other people's views on why "Holy Catholic Ireland", probably the most conservative country in western Europe was so quick to become what it is today?

danger here

Ireland is more liberal obviously,albeit in a thrashy Americanized way than a mature European one.But beneath the surface there is still a conservative streak in many people,including some young people.

d7bohs

Still no access to free, legal abortion for Irish women in their own country. Still - by a distance - the most conservative country in Western Europe.

Ruaidhri

I would be a firm believer that ones upbringing defines there views. People from more rural area's would be more conservative while people in more urban area's would be more liberal.l know of course that there are many exceptions but I live in the South inner city of Dublin and I would be quite liberal and so would most of the people that I know in my area so this would be a view of mine from personal experience. Dublin as well as other large towns has grown hugely in recent years.

Another reason could be that Ireland became a lot wealthier in the 1990's.People moved intocities for jobs and many people immigrated to Ireland. Being near the city they saw differnent communities (gay community as well as ethnic communities). I personally believe that it is ignorance that leads to intolerance of gay and other races so I believe that when people moved to Cities such as Dublin and saw these different communities many of there uninformed prejudices were laid to rest.

Last edited:

Éireann go Brách

televison televison televison and now in the last fews years the net.

I don't think people realise how powerful it is, how it defines us, controls us educates us, tells us what to buy, music to listen to, and clothes to own etc.

Chuck de Mawl

In the 1980s divorce and homosexual acts were illegal here.

Access to contraception very severely limited and not all chemists would stock it even if you did get a prescription.

A great proportion, maybe even a majiority given the results on the first divorce referendum, agreed with all this.
So, most people went along with the status quo of the dominant ideology, despite the fact that it repressed quite a large section of the population. don't try to change things unless approved from on high, being the order of the day.

By the time the 90s ended you were an extremist wingnut if you wanted divorce and homosexuality made illegal again, no mind wanting to limit contraception to married couples.

So what happened?
The country improved a wee bit.

SevenStars

It is still the most conservative country in Western Europe.
More so than Austria?

Honestly when it comes to drug intake and sexual promiscuity.....:rolleyes:

wombat

It is still the most conservative country in Western Europe.
We will know after the next election - I suspect that we will have a majority of conservatives elected.;)

IrishAtheist

I would be a firm believer that ones upbringing defines there views. People from more rural area's would be more conservative while people in more urban area's would be more liberal.l know of course that there are many exceptions but I live in the South inner city of Dublin and I would be quite liberal and so would most of the people that I know in my area so this would be a view of mine from personal experience. Dublin as well as other large towns has grown hugely in recent years.

Another reason could be that Ireland became a lot wealthier in the 1990's.People moved intocities for jobs and many people immigrated to Ireland. Being near the city they saw differnent communities (gay community as well as ethnic communities). I personally believe that it is ignorance that leads to intolerance of gay and other races so I believe that when people moved to Cities such as Dublin and saw these different communities many of there uninformed prejudices were laid to rest.
I agree but also i think it is to do with a combination other factors like immigration, the decline of congregation going to mass, the decline of the catholic church, books, media, education and integration in cities etc.

Dr Pat

Many factors have led to the current socially confused society we have today, not least decline of the moral authority of Church and State, influence of globalisation, higher education standards, more affluence, increased individualism at the expense of the community at large to name but a few.

SevenStars

We will know after the next election - I suspect that we will have a majority of conservatives elected.;)
Economic conservative is not the same as social conservative.

seth lord

Still no access to free, legal abortion for Irish women in their own country. Still - by a distance - the most conservative country in Western Europe.
Murdering the unborn would not make Ireland more sophisticated or “cool”.

YoungLiberal

Well, they are dying off, for starters.

Still, a lot more of the feckers hanging around.

wombat

Ingersoll

control has been taken from the RCC, access to other ideas and ideals and less miserable lives (until recently) - simple as that. Apart from abortion access, we are getting there and i welcome it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies