The stunning hypocrisy of the PR machine behind Greta Thunberg

ergo2

About this time 57 years ago when I was a fetus snuggled up to my twin in my mothers womb, another trans atlantic trip was taking place, ships carrying nuclear bombs were heading for Cuba and as far as I know this was as close as humanity ever came to destroying itself and all life on earth.
Mabye I'm crazy, maybe the prospect of a few degrees rise in global warming is as scary as an instant nuclear winter, maybe the severe weather conditions forcast are a more dangerous and imminent threat to humanity than a huge rock from space or a tiny virus, but all I feel about global warming is underwhelmed.
Yes, I remember watching this on TV with some friends. There was real fear of a nuclear war up to the time the Russian ships turned away from their course to Cuba.
The Kennedy brothers were in charge, with people such as Robert McNamara. Later it turned out that they had some back channels to Moscow, and the crisis was talked thru'.

I wonder would there be the same structured approach under Trump.

Yes in the fifties and sixties we were all afraid of nuclear war. That does not mean that climate change can now be ignored.

MsDaisyC

I read in today's Guardian online that GT has Asperger's Syndrome and she calls it "a superpower".Why oh why did the PR organisation,her parents not reveal this until the last day after she(plus her aides on accompanying vessels) had docked in NYC.I mentioned some time back that the "Poor child is not normal and and is being exploited for the lucre by corporations and stupid selfish irresponsible parents"
That's been common knowledge for ages.

RasherHash

Correct me if i am wrong...is this the same climate change denier that claimed speed cameras caused accidents....and that Asbestos (not Aspergers).... yes Asbestos was not dangerous?
That Christopher Booker?
I have no idea, I just know in this case the evidence is mounting to avalanche proportions.

RasherHash

That's been common knowledge for ages.
Still very significant that the Guardian, who have been staunch supporters of agw should adopt this approach.

Are we starting to see a bit of roll back creeping in to the narrative?

james toney

Climategate, the sequel: How we are STILL being tricked with flawed data on global warming Climategate, the sequel: How we are STILL being tricked with flawed data on global warming
It is the same guy.......So you believe Christopher Booker on climate change?
Looks like he has tricked many down through the years.

Using his position as a columnist for The Sunday Telegraph, Booker vehemently opposed conventional scientific thinking in a number of key areas.
For example, on the link between passive smoking and cancer he noted:
“The scientific evidence to support their belief that inhaling other people’s smoke causes cancer simply does not exist.”
And white asbestos, he opined in a 2002 article, is “a product that poses no risk to human health and is chemically identical to talcum powder”.

MsDaisyC

Still very significant that the Guardian, who have been staunch supporters of agw should adopt this approach.

Are we starting to see a bit of roll back creeping in to the narrative?
Ask Christopher Brooker.

RasherHash

It is the same guy.......So you believe Christopher Booker on climate change?
Looks like he has tricked many down through the years.

Using his position as a columnist for The Sunday Telegraph, Booker vehemently opposed conventional scientific thinking in a number of key areas.
For example, on the link between passive smoking and cancer he noted:
“The scientific evidence to support their belief that inhaling other people’s smoke causes cancer simply does not exist.”
And white asbestos, he opined in a 2002 article, is “a product that poses no risk to human health and is chemically identical to talcum powder”.
I don't know anything about that (said the Bishop to the actress), you pro'ly need a new thread on smoking and cancer right there.

Tbh I generally wouldn't trust a newspaper person as far as I could throw them.

benroe

It seems little green Greta will be leading the Extinction Rebellion shut down of Washington after she lectures the United Numpties, who will have no doubt flown in from all corners of the earth to be lectured to.

fifilawe

i've heard of GreenWashing but what is the term for Exploiting Children to suit some MNC's agenda, Hypocrisy to the nth degree,selling a" pipedream to gullible uneducated people".exploitative advertising, misleading misinformation,
take your pick or come up with a new "buzz phrase" for it.

McTell

Twitter
No
How about the Stunning Hypocrisy of RTE and the pols all hunting down our very own Greta right now, paid for by the licence fee.

That way, she/he will be bought before any trouble.

On Friday November 15th the country’s first ever Youth Assembly on Climate is set to take place in Dáil Éireann. It will be a chance for young people to discuss what Ireland needs to do to take action on climate and environmental issues.
157 young people will be selected to take part in this one-day Youth Assembly, and you could be one of them.

You, but not you and you - the age limit is 10-17. The age group that consumes electrons on screen....

Yes, I remember watching this on TV with some friends. There was real fear of a nuclear war up to the time the Russian ships turned away from their course to Cuba.
The Kennedy brothers were in charge, with people such as Robert McNamara. Later it turned out that they had some back channels to Moscow, and the crisis was talked thru'.

I wonder would there be the same structured approach under Trump.

Yes in the fifties and sixties we were all afraid of nuclear war. That does not mean that climate change can now be ignored.
The Russians have professed those sentiments exactly diplomatic wise, they see it as non existent presently and have thought so under previous administrations going back a few years, haven't become as glaringly obvious since the carnage in Libya, Ukraine, Syria and the mindmelting Russiagate codology.

She's been probagated as much as a Coca Cola can. Probably one of her sponsers.

RasherHash

"Over the last 420 kyr variations in atmospheric CO2 broadly followed temperature according to ice cores, with a typical delay of several centuries"

Humlum, etal. 2013

https://t.co/z8xMkE68B0

see also

RasherHash

i've heard of GreenWashing but what is the term for Exploiting Children to suit some MNC's agenda, Hypocrisy to the nth degree,selling a" pipedream to gullible uneducated people".exploitative advertising, misleading misinformation,
We have to become aware of the extent to which we are lied to.

Rte relays these lies and dumbs down on the heavy propaganda to brainwash the people.

In many ways it's the most serious issue we face.

atkin8

As has been covered in the media, Greta Thunberg (GT) is currently sailing across the Atlantic ocean in a £4 million racing yacht, in order to "demonstrate" low carbon transport, and avoid air travel. The boat has been especially chartered for this trip and has already been shown to be a controversial decision. To recover the boat for its existing schedule, a crew of five are reported to have to fly out to New York with the two current sailors, also said to be returning by air. Not only that but GT’s destination is Chile. So more emissions will have to be expended to get GT to Chile.

However one startling fact that is overlooked, is the boat itself. GT’s team have gone to unlimited lengths to describe this as a zero carbon mode of transport. Yet this can only be claimed for the fuel cost of the trip. Certainly the boat itself and its manufacture, are carbon intensive. While exact data cannot be ascertained, we do have the following (all figures obtained from various resources at Team Malizia – Team Malizia):
  • The material for the boat is carbon fiber (virgin).
  • The boat weighs ~8 tonnes (this includes diesel engine and ancillaries).
  • A crew of 5 is typical but single manning is possible.
  • The boat to this date (21/09/2019) has traveled approximately 40,000 km.
  • The boat was launched in 2015.

I have made very large, conservative assumptions
  • 7 flights confirmed for the crew. Not accounted in the calculation below but these emissions would amount to 4.2-9 TCO2e
  • I have given the boat a very generous lifetime.
  • I have counted 75% the boat as carbon fiber. It is likely more.
  • I have not counted the carbon cost of the other half of the boat (i.e. keel) or the ancillaries such as the diesel engine they are carrying (mass 372 kg = 0.66 T CO2 in raw steel)
  • I have not counted the manufacturing process for the boat, which not doubt, will have emissions of its own.
  • I have not counted the disposal emissions of the boat.
  • I have not counted the infrastructure or maintenance emissions associated with the boat.
The carbon footprint for carbon fiber is circa 29 TCO2e/T material (European research project MultiHemp, FP7/2007-2013, grant agreement n° 311849). The keel and ancillaries come to about 2T. Thus the carbon cost of the boat is 8*29*0.75 = 174 TCO2e. There will of course be some uncertainty of this number.

The ongoing lifetime of the boat will clearly lower this, as more kilometers are traveled. Given the boats current mileage is approximately 10,000 km per year and a lifetime of 20 (maintenance free) years (Malizia expect the boat to be competitive for 10 years), we could guesstimate a final CO2 emissions figure.

CO2 emissions = 87 g/km.

The estimated distance for GT’s trip is circa 4,000 nautical miles, which equates to 7,408 km. The boat must go back so this is doubled as it would not be making the return otherwise. Thus the trip will emit an equivalent of 87*14,816/100,000, assuming the boat makes it the full 20 years

CO2 cost of trip = 13 tonnes CO2.
Per passenger (2) = 6.5 tonnes CO2

The air trip from Stockholm to New York, is estimated at 1-2 tonnes passenger. But how can that be? Well the issue lies with the low occupancy of the boat. While the Boeing 737 weights 8 times heavier, it carries far more people per trip. Further the fuel cost is also spread out among the many people, whereas the cost of manufacture for the boat is only spread to a small number of passengers.

This is turning into a very carbon intensive trip.
Reminds me of an attic insulation I had done with the Warmer Homes Scheme .The installer reckoned more carbon was used in the manufacture and fitting than the benefit .

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
They are right bastards alright, them over at Coca-Cola Inc. Sure you wouldn't be up to them.

Would. Not. Be. Up to them.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I read in today's Guardian online that GT has Asperger's Syndrome and she calls it "a superpower".Why oh why did the PR organisation,her parents not reveal this until the last day after she(plus her aides on accompanying vessels) had docked in NYC.I mentioned some time back that the "Poor child is not normal and and is being exploited for the lucre by corporations and stupid selfish irresponsible parents"
I wouldn't rush to assume that there is such a thing as a 'normal'. The more I go through life the less I am convinced there is a mean, an average or a 'norm'. I suspect there is just a sort of scale involved.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I caught a brief glimpse of her being interviewed on film and there was a quote from the then 15 year old who was saying 'this is an emergency. This is an existential crisis'.

Looking at her closely while she said that, it would be an amazingly convenient line if someone had been taught to parrot certain lines, but I didn't see any indication of that 15 year old having been taught that line. I'm 99% certain from looking at her facial expression, the way her eyes move, that the use of the phrase 'This is an existential crisis' was within the moment and did not come across as fake or a learned thing.

She does seem to be screamingly intelligent and methodical for her age and bear in mind she's working in a second language as well.

Very impressive. And a sort of impassive delivery which itself is impactful. I just think she is a sort of natural accident appropriate to the times and of course the media attention reflects that.

It is better than watching some 15 year old gyrating on a music video any day of the week and much more encouraging.

toughbutfair

Climate change is the biggest threat in the world, bigger than economic woes, Islam, Brexit, disease etc .

While it is clearly ridiculous that a little girl knows best (she wrote letters to Santa not long ago) , if the PR machine behind her can get attention in the USA and/or China then that is great. The details of her transport are not important

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Santa had better not have tried to argue with her. Whatever she's doing she's good at it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies