The stunning hypocrisy of the PR machine behind Greta Thunberg

riven

More hypocrisy.

Widely reported but yet another skipper flew out from the UK to America to sail the La Vagabond back.

riven

It find it funny the Nobel Manguire and Lumpy Talbot demand consensus but when that very consensus is used, in the form of carbon accounting, they shriek, as it does not agree with their uninformed viewpoint.

riven

Is Greta trying to finish off the Planet herself ?
Well with the amount of skippers that she has chartered now, one would wonder.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It find it funny the Nobel Manguire and Lumpy Talbot demand consensus but when that very consensus is used, in the form of carbon accounting, they shriek, as it does not agree with their uninformed viewpoint.
Don't think I have 'demanded consensus'. If so, please do show me where that is the case.

By the way, i'm not Greta Thunberg, so you aren't arguing with her when we interact.

My challenge was to this blatant attempt to bodge together a claim that Thunberg was costing more in terms of carbon emissions by taking a boat across the Atlantic instead of a jet.

You'll have to work a lot harder on that attempt at equivalence, no matter how much off-balance sheet accounting you try.

Barroso

Business is business, corrupt governments in Africa are normal.

You need to put the blame where it belongs.
I'm not sure what your point is here.
Are you suggesting that because politicians and civil servants can be bought that we should encourage companies to buy them?

RasherHash

I'm not sure what your point is here.
Are you suggesting that because politicians and civil servants can be bought that we should encourage companies to buy them?
Where did I say 'encourage'?

riven

You'll have to work a lot harder on that attempt at equivalence, no matter how much off-balance sheet accounting you try.
Why?

All your attempts to say that these emissions don't exist (something you now seem to accept as false), or that the responsibility lies elsewhere, fly in the face of emissions accounting and therefore disagree with the UNEP and IPCC's methods of carbon accounting. You have yet to come up with a reasoned response as to why embodied/embedded emissions are accounted for by consumers, but not Greta.

I can only assume at this stage that you reject the opinions of the UNEP and IPCC, and are thus an uneducated "denier". Ciao.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Why?

All your attempts to say that these emissions don't exist (something you now seem to accept as false), or that the responsibility lies elsewhere, fly in the face of emissions accounting and therefore disagree with the UNEP and IPCC's methods of carbon accounting. You have yet to come up with a reasoned response as to why embodied/embedded emissions are accounted for by consumers, but not Greta.

I can only assume at this stage that you reject the opinions of the UNEP and IPCC, and are thus an uneducated "denier". Ciao.
Interesting if inaccurate attempt to put words in my mouth. If you think a jet flying across the atlantic is the equivalent or better than a wind-powered boat on the sea below in terms of carbon emissions you shouldn't be talking at all.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The only way you could draw such an equivalence is to fit said boat with one or more jet engines.

A Voice

Read my post again: I asked you a question, I didn't put words in your mouth.
I think his point is about agency and the waycism of low expectations.
In other words: whitey comes and does a bit of despoiling, but local (black, natch) pols allow it and skim from it.
Whitey back home wails about colonial this and patriarchal that (as per the accepted liberal script) but none of it happens in the first place without grinning (black) dictators and their militias.

riven

The current trip is turning into a bit of a disaster from an environmental perspective. The boat is currently doing 3 knots, meaning all the diesel is gone.

That is not a surprise given that over the last 3 days, they were facing headwinds and were not tacking the wind, rather going straight through at a rate of knots. So that is 700L of diesel at 2640 g CO2/L. This is certainly not insignificant and puts environmentalism on a back seat to expedience (i.e. get to the destination).

As I already stated, I am willing to give the embodied/embedded emissions on this boat a miss, as the materials of construction are much less intensive as compared to the Malizia 2. I previously estimated that the embodied emissions of this boat were 50 times less than the Malizia 2.

But this diesel burn coupled with the first/business class fights of the sailor, leads to some significant emissions.

Last edited:

RasherHash

The current trip is turning into a bit of a disaster from an environmental perspective. The boat is currently doing 3 knots, meaning all the diesel is gone.

That is not a surprise given that over the last 3 days, they were facing headwinds and were not tacking the wind, rather going straight through at a rate of knots. So that is 700L of diesel at 2640 g CO2/L. This is certainly not insignificant and puts environmentalism on a back seat to expedience (i.e. get to the destination).

As I already stated, I am willing to give the embodied/embedded emissions on this boat a miss, as the materials of construction are much less intensive as compared to the Malizia 2. I previously estimated that the embodied emissions of this boat were 50 times less than the Malizia 2.

But this diesel burn coupled with the first/business class fights of the sailor, leads to some significant emissions.
Whatever about her boat ride it would be good to see the hypocrites in governments taking her lead and giving up air travel.

Thousands of them will fly to wherever she's going, to get in on the photo op 😂

New Threads

Most Replies