The Sun wants Gary Lineker sacked

Mentalist Clientelist

https://www.balls.ie/football/sun-want-gary-lineker-brexit-fired/349408

Gary Lineker, ex-England footballer and housewives' favourite, has a cushy number.

He anchors Match of the Day on the BBC on Saturday nights and during international football tournaments. He gets paid millions per year to do it and he is, in my view, very good at it.

However, Gary didn't like the Brexit result. Really didn't like it. So much so that he tweeted about it. More recently, his tweets have wondered about the direction in which his country is going following the suggestion of age-testing of migrants from Calais. He thought the idea was cruel and heartless and this has brought the predictable mixture of odium and praise. Katie Hopkins called him a "dreary crisp salesman".

The point is a wider one though. Should Lineker be allowed to express his personal opinions on a forum that has nothing to do with his employer? The Sun thinks not and in today's edition has called for him to be sacked.

A sacking won't happen and would be OTT, as well as legally suspect depending on the terms of Lineker's contract with the BBC.

In my view I think the Sun has a point. Where does it stop? Is there a limit to the extent of the opinions which can be expressed by broadcasters. Lineker is not a journeyman pundit moving from station to station. He is dyed-in-the-wool Beeb. I seem to remember Ray Darcy getting a slap from the BAI for his views on abortion and how he handled (or didn't) a segment on the topic.

Vega1447

Gary Lineker, ex-England footballer and housewives' favourite, has a cushy number.

He anchors Match of the Day on the BBC on Saturday nights and during international football tournaments. He gets paid millions per year to do it and he is, in my view, very good at it.

However, Gary didn't like the Brexit result. Really didn't like it. So much so that he tweeted about it. More recently, his tweets have wondered about the direction in which his country is going following the suggestion of age-testing of migrants from Calais. He thought the idea was cruel and heartless and this has brought the predictable mixture of odium and praise. Katie Hopkins called him a "dreary crisp salesman".

The point is a wider one though. Should Lineker be allowed to express his personal opinions on a forum that has nothing to do with his employer? The Sun thinks not and in today's edition has called for him to be sacked.

A sacking won't happen and would be OTT, as well as legally suspect depending on the terms of Lineker's contract with the BBC.

In my view I think the Sun has a point. Where does it stop? Is there a limit to the extent of the opinions which can be expressed by broadcasters. Lineker is not a journeyman pundit moving from station to station. He is dyed-in-the-wool Beeb. I seem to remember Ray Darcy getting a slap from the BAI for his views on abortion and how he handled (or didn't) a segment on the topic.
What is your opinion then?

Very well paid sports journos shouldn't express opinions about politics?

tipofdiceberg

Freedom of speech and all dat jazz. Football players and radio presenters are not allowed to express their opinions??? only politicians and lobbyists???
Personally I find Mr Lineker boring, just like your OP and for that reason I am out of here.

Vega1447

Not if they are an employee of a public service broadcaster whose salary is paid by the taxpayer.
Like Lineker, you are entitled to your opinion.

Is yours influenced by Lineker's view of Brexit?

Hibee

Gary is very arrogant and opinionated . But these guys are a little Trumpian in their understanding of democracy . The Sun is a rag.

Fractional Reserve

another cosseted ball of wax , that wont have any of the economic immigrants near his door step .

Erudite Caveman

Katie Hopkins?

Someone thinks Garry Lineker should be sacked because of the opinions he expresses, but pays Katie Hopkins to express hers?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Filthy rag. He can say what he likes.

That rag often sought the commentary of its page 3 ladies, on geo-political matters.

Jack O Neill

Not if they are an employee of a public service broadcaster whose salary is paid by the taxpayer.
Half the taxpayers agree with his sentiments , in fact most taxpayers in the UK would agree with him . A lot of the Breixters are "them poles took our jobs" skint material who contribute to nothing

sic transit

Is he an employee? I saw him anchor a BT Sports game recently. This is all much ado nowt.

GDPR

He's a sports broadcaster and can have no influence on political broadcasting, so I don't see the problem really.

Take our own Hook or Kenny now, whose opinions on various issues are as plain as day and those opinions do effect national political broadcasting in a very real way, there we do have a problem, unaddressed and very largely unmentioned.

Mentalist Clientelist

Is he an employee? I saw him anchor a BT Sports game recently. This is all much ado nowt.

Not really. It's an important principle. What if Lineker was rabidly pro-life and made pronouncements on that issue along similar lines? Do you think it would go unnoticed by the SJWs? There would be an absolute sh1tstorm.

Mentalist Clientelist

He's a sports broadcaster and can have no influence on political broadcasting, so I don't see the problem really.

Take our own Hook or Kenny now, whose opinions on various issues are as plain as day and those opinions do effect national political broadcasting in a very real way, there we do have a problem, unaddressed and very largely unmentioned.
Hook and Kenny work for a private organisation. They are not employees of a public service broadcaster and it is no coincidence that Kenny has become more opinionated once the unshackled from his public service remit.

Jack O Neill

I doubt if Hooks opinion on anything affects anything except make people chose the exact opposite perhaps , that tool is the human equivalent of the Sun

sic transit

Not really. It's an important principle. What if Lineker was rabidly pro-life and made pronouncements on that issue along similar lines? Do you think it would go unnoticed by the SJWs? There would be an absolute sh1tstorm.
It's not. It's the Sun getting a bug up their ass and using their pages to have a go at something they dislike. Not the first time and will never be the lest. Credit where it's due he is quite good at the Twitter thing.

Oh and I don't know what SJW is so I couldn't possibly have any opinion on it.

Sexual Harassment Panda

a wider one though. Should Lineker be allowed to express his personal opinions on a forum that has nothing to do with his employer?
Yes.

As long as he's not talking politics on Match of the Day he shouldn't resign.

F*ck anybody who calls for him to resign.

New Threads

Most Replies