The surprising findings of the Magdalene Laundries report

HereWeGoAgain

Their mother unfortunately was a mental defective who IIRC had a nervous breakdown after meeting them because she had no recollection of ever giving birth to them.

The poor woman would have ended up in an Institution one way or another IMO.
I know you have no empathy, compassion or concern whatsoever for those vulnerable women/children but this is a new low even for you.

Try to consider that this could have been your Mum or your Aunt - how would you have expected her to function following decades of trauma, hard labour and incarceration? Margaret died prematurely, contributing to that untimely death the exposure to certain chemicals in the laundry. She was lovingly recalled by those who knew her on a call to Liveline which caused her daughter to get in touch.

Fritzbox

Their mother unfortunately was a mental defective who IIRC had a nervous breakdown after meeting them because she had no recollection of ever giving birth to them.

The poor woman would have ended up in an Institution one way or another IMO.
That's the impression I get about this woman who remained with the nuns until 1997 - possible a person of diminished personal responsibility - why else would she remain with thenuns for so long? Would also explain why she went straight intzo another institution straight after the 'laundry'.

Bridger

I know you have no empathy, compassion or concern whatsoever for those vulnerable women/children but this is a new low even for you.

Try to consider that this could have been your Mum or your Aunt - how would you have expected her to function following decades of trauma, hard labour and incarceration? Margaret died prematurely, contributing to that untimely death the exposure to certain chemicals in the laundry. She was lovingly recalled by those who knew her on a call to Liveline which caused her daughter to get in touch.
You're finding offense from nothing. She wasn't criticized or shown any lack of empathy in the post.

StarryPlough01

@HereWeGoAgain
You're finding offense from nothing. She wasn't criticized or shown any lack of empathy in the post.

I beg to differ. I think Catalpast's 'constructed' online persona show signs of borderline personality (no empathy, manipulative...).

Read a tiny selection of Catalpast's posts here ~

Margaret Bullen

4 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11814708

Samantha [Margaret's twin daughter] made a lengthy statement to the interdepartmental committee, led by Senator Martin McAleese, about her mother’s life. Margaret Bullen had a tragic start in life: she was born in a mental institution in Grangegorman, Dublin to a mother who already had six children, Margaret being the youngest.

[Starry: Margaret's mother might have had post natal depression?]

Margaret was sent home to Kimmage to live with her siblings and father, where she remained until she was three years old. At that point, Margaret’s brother was sent to Artane industrial school and Margaret and her sister closest to her in age sent to the notorious High Park industrial school and Laundry in Drumcondra.

That, as Samantha says of her mother, “was the end of her and the outside world”.

4 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11814952

5 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11817138

23 June 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry- 260.html#post12187694

A life unlived: 35 years of slavery in a Magdalene Laundry

A second statement sent to Senator McAleese’s committee from a former Laundry inmate who remembers Margaret and her sister recounts how Margaret suffered fits as a young child but that they were ignored by the nuns there (then known as the Sisters of Charity of Refuge, now the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity).

Margaret appears to have been moved in her early teens to a special school called St Teresa’s in Blackrock, after she was certified mentally unfit for education, but fit for work.

Her daughter Samantha says in her own statement:

She was assessed at age thirteen as being mentally challenged because on the day that they measured her, they said that she had an IQ of fifty, which I dispute after meeting her, even after all those years of institutionalisation.. And I think that if you’re hungry and tired from your slavery, your IQ wouldn’t be very sharp, or your skills on any given moment mightn’t be sharp. You would be probably just pulled into this room – “now we’re going to measure your IQ” – so even the shock of that wouldn’t, you know, you could shut down.

Catalpast

Dr. Halliday Sutherland - on speaking to the Sisters in Galway when asked how long the women would stay was told 'some stay for life'. If they tried to escape, they were returned to the Laundry where they were further abused.

The fact that a direct link between the State and the Magdalene Laundries was requested to be removed is instructive, particularly as countless governments stuck by the line that Magdalene Laundries were autonomous institutions, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Another section which was requested to be excised concerned an escape attempt by one of the inmates of the laundry:

Dr Sutherland: “Do they try to escape?”

Mother superior: “Last year a girl climbed a twenty foot drain pipe. At the top she lost her nerve and fell. She was fortunate. She only broke her pelvis. She won’t try it again.”

The mother superior also requested that a section concerning the physical abuse of women also be excluded from the final piece:

“For that kind of thing the girl gets six strokes of the cane, three on each hand.

A nun: “Sometimes on the legs.”

Dr Sutherland: “I suppose only the sister-in-charge may inflict corporal punishment.”

Nun: “Yes, and the only time I gave it I felt positively ill.”

This clearly points to physical abuse in the laundry as routine and as something that the order did not want being made public.

Well over half a century later, the McAleese Report was of the view Martin McAleese’s report found that “the ill treatment, physical punishment, and abuse that was prevalent in the industrial school system was not something they experienced in the Magdalene Laundries”.

Clearly this was not the view of the nuns running the Galway Magdalene Laundry.

Remarkably one entry that was allowed to remain tin the chapter by the order was a reference to food being removed from inmates if they misbehaved:

Dr Sutherland: “What about discipline?”

Mother superior: We give them a good scolding when they need it.”

Dr Sutherland: “And more serious offences?”

Mother superior: We stop their food”.

Dr Sutherland: “For how long?”

Mother superior: Only one meal and we know that the other girls feed them.”

Again, here is a nun acknowledging in the mid-1950s that women were starved if they did not toe the line. Such shocking treatment jars uncomfortably with the findings of the McAleese Report.

Another nun spoke of length of stay acknowledging that some women stayed “for life” and confirming that the women were not buried on the same ground as nuns but rather in “common burial ground”.

Dr Sutherland also recounted the conversation he had with Bishop of Galway Dr Michael John Browne when seeking permission to visit the laundry.

The bishop clearly took exception to the request and issued a veiled threat concerning anything negative he might write.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/illegal-adoptions-exposing-the-pain-of-one-of-irelands-hidden-scandals-273840.html
Yet others say they were never physically abused by the nuns...

As for six whacks on the hands in that case I was physically abused in school too!

Now how much compo do you think I will get as a result?

Here I have looked it up for you. here is the chapter he wrote in his book. You will see that he excised remarkably little....

The text is a bit difficult but if you persevere you should find it a worthwhile exercise.

https://hallidaysutherland.com/2014/06/08/the-suitcase-in-the-cellar/

Catalpast

@HereWeGoAgain

I beg to differ. I think Catalpast's 'constructed' online persona show signs of borderline personality (no empathy, manipulative...).

Read a tiny selection of Catalpast's posts here ~

Margaret Bullen

4 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11814708

4 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11814952

5 February 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry-104.html#post11817138

23 June 2018
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/255981-castlepollard-exclusion-commission-mother-baby-homes-inquiry- 260.html#post12187694

A life unlived: 35 years of slavery in a Magdalene Laundry
If you have ever dealt with mental defective people you would know that people can be perfectly normal on some levels

- and totally at sea if anything other than the very simple is being dealt with.

StarryPlough01

If you have ever dealt with mental defective people you would know that people can be perfectly normal on some levels

- and totally at sea if anything other than the very simple is being dealt with.

If you are going to play 'Spot the Looney,' get ready to hide. Hence the value of not being seen.

Monty Python | Spot the Looney -

[video=youtube;z_Nq3xuHkgE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Nq3xuHkgE[/video]

Monty Python - How Not to Be Seen (Original version) -

[video=youtube;ifmRgQX82O4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmRgQX82O4[/video]

StarryPlough01

Tuam Herald

Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site

THE Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Dr Katherine Zappone will visit Tuam on Monday evening (July 23) to hear views regarding what is to happen to the site of the former Tuam Mother and Baby Home.
The Minister is visiting the town ahead of making her recommendation to Government regarding the future of the remains discovered at the site, and the site itself at Dublin Road in the town
“I am anxious to have another opportunity hear first-hand the views of people affected.
“The consultation by Galway County Council as well as legal and expert advice will help inform my decision. However, I do firmly believe that all voices must be given an opportunity to be heard,” said Minister Zappone.
The meeting will take place in the Ard Ri House Hotel in Tuam on Monday, July 23 at 7pm.

The Minister’s office has stated that the meeting will be closed to the media.

“I am inviting all those who believe they have yet to be heard and those who wish to support previously expressed views, to attend.
“Notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and transparent.
“Next Monday’s gathering is another step to ensure we achieve those goals.”

The Tuam Herald - Minister Zappone holds final meeting in Tuam over former Home site

Hear Ye, Hear Ye...

***ZAPPONE IS A POLITICIAN WHO WORKS FOR THE PUBLIC,*** SHE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO EXCLUDE THE PRESS

***THE MEDIA MUST BE ALLOWED TO BE PRESENT***

THE MEETING IS BEING HELD AT ARD RI HOUSE HOTEL IN TUAM, WHERE ZAPPONE CAN CONTROL WHO ENTERS THIS VENUE

THE SURVIVORS HAVE ALREADY HAD THEIR MEETINGS WITH ZAPPONE, GALWAY CO COUNCIL... WHERE THE PRESS WERE EXCLUDED. THUS, THERE WILL BE NO BREACH OF CONFIDENTIALITY AT THIS FINAL MEETING

StarryPlough01

Guest: Anna Corrigan (Tuam Babies Family Group) on the Niall Boylan Show

Tuam Babies Family Group has 9 family members in the Tuam pit

The Niall Boylan Show

Live for Monday

First up we speak to Anna Corrigan about how her family have been sidelined in the wake of the Tuam baby scandal

https://www.facebook.com/NiallBoylanAtNight/videos/1845311435544846/

Anna Corrigan (Tuam Babies Family Group) doesn't pull her punches. The group has 9 family members in the Tuam pit. Anna said a woman has come forward who believes she has two nieces in there.

The group represent survivors as well, but the needs of survivors are completely different to the family members who have family in the "grave."

*Anna said they have locus standi (plural loci standi) under the law ~

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/locus_standi

The right or capacity to bring an action or to appear in a court.

*Anna states the 1948 Sanitary Services Act gives the family members the right to have an exhumation licence.

[Anna Corrigan] "Under 1948 Sanitary Services Act, not allowed to bury a person in a place other than a recognised graveyard or what was a recognised graveyard before the enactment of the Act. Therefore this is an unregistered mass grave."

Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1948

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1948/act/3/enacted/en/html]Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1948

PART VI.

Disposal of Bodies.

Restriction on places in which bodies may be buried

44.—(1) Subject to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section a person shall not, without the consent of the Minister, bury the body of a deceased person in a place which is not a burial ground for the purposes of this section.

(2) The following (and no other) places shall be burial grounds for the purposes of this section—

(a) a place which is in lawful use as a burial ground and which was, immediately before the commencement of this section, in lawful use as a burial ground,

(b) a place as respects which the Minister has, after the commencement of this section, given his approval to its being used as a burial ground,

(c) a burial ground provided by a burial board under the Acts.

(3) Subject to the provisions of subsection (4) of this section a person shall not bury the body of a deceased person within the limits in which burials have by order under section 162 of the Act of 1878 been ordered to be discontinued in violation of the provisions of such order.

(4) Nothing in subsection (1) or (3) of this section shall prevent the burial of a clergyman in or adjacent to a church.

*Anna mentions the Galway Co Council's checkbox poll where 89 percent of residents want "them left in situ."

STARRY:

The Galway Co Council checkbox Poll should be legally challenged if and when a decision is made to wall up Tuam. Quite obviously, there will be residents who are worried about their house prices in the area being impacted. Galway Co Council have a dog in this fight.

*In my view, the abominable human rights violations take precedence over the residents' frivolous concerns.* Val Costello, the Coroner for North Galway, should immediately convene an inquest.

The Coroner for North Galway Val Costello should have already convened an inquest into the 796 deaths. I understand that there are 6 missing mothers. This was underscored by Chairman Peter Mulryan of Tuam Home Survivors Network's Press Release dated 7 July 2018:

Tuam Home Survivors Network Press Release dated 7 July 2018:

Press Release - Tuam Home Survivors Network Response Regarding the Consultation Report

Consultation Report: 'Consultation on the Options and Appropriate Courses of Action available to Government in relation to the site of the former Mother & Baby Home, Tuam, Co. Galway':

https://www.dcya.gov.ie/documents/mother_and_baby_homes/20180706TuamConsultationReport.pdf

* Anna Corrigan said the Tuam Babies Families Group have put the Attorney General and Minister Zappone on Notice.

StarryPlough01

Is Zappone fearful of Openness and Transparency in Government? THE MEDIA BAN SHOULD BE LIFTED TO ALLOW JOURNALISTS TO ATTEND TUAM FINAL MEETING ON MONDAY 23 JULY 2018

An extract from Zappone's Press Release, which appears to be a reaction to Tuam Home Survivors Network's Press Release dated 07 / 07 / 2018 (see below line for press release statements) ~~~

[Zappone's statement on *transparency* for the meeting on 23 / 07 / 2018]

Notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and ***transparent
.***

As I posted on another thread, ***the media's role is to hold power to account.***

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/257180-varadkar-watch-track-his-successes-failures-taoiseach-easy-reference-378.html#post12255237

:shock: :mad: :shock: Zatherine Cappone intends to BAR THE MEDIA from attending the Tuam Final Meeting on Monday 23 July 2018. :shock: :mad: :shock:

I would like to see a Motion of Censure against Zappone for barring the media (see my below post).

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/257180-varadkar-watch-track-his-successes-failures-taoiseach-easy-reference-378.html#post12255246

I would like to see a Motion of Censure tabled against Minister Zappone for her inappropriate conduct in barring the press from the Tuam final meeting on 23 July. *Let the record reflect that an independent and free press is the cornerstone of democracy.*

Robert's Rules of Order ~

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert's_Rules_of_Order

OUTSTANDING SENIOR INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALIST CONALL O'FATHARTA, WON A JUSTICE MEDIA AWARD IN 2011 FOR HIS EXPOSE OF ILLEGAL ADOPTIONS, AND MORE RECENTLY HE RECEIVED A JUSTICE MEDIA MERIT CERTIFICATE FOR HIS ARTICLE: 'Finally righting a wrong – the fight for Magdalene women wrongly denied redress'. IRISH EXAMINER JOURNO CONALL O'FATHARTA SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND THE TUAM FINAL MEETING ON MONDAY, ALONG WITH OTHER REPORTERS

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/257180-varadkar-watch-track-his-successes-failures-taoiseach-easy-reference-378.html#post12255456

The Irish Examiner have a Galway man (Gaelic speaker) ~ senior investigative journalist Conall O'Fatharta - who should be there at that meeting. Robert's Rules of Order apply here. Zappone must be censured.

THE MEDIA MUST BE INVITED TO ATTEND TUAM FINAL MEETING. THIS IS BIGGER THAN TUAM. IT IS A SOCIAL ISSUE, WHICH AFFECTS ALL IRISH CITIZENS, ALL COMMUNITIES, PARISHES AND FAMILIES.

IT IS THE MEDIA'S ROLE TO HOLD GOVERNMENTS ACCOUNTABLE AND TRANSPARENT.

:roll: IS ZAPPONE FEARFUL OF OPENNESS AND TRANSPARENCY IN GOVERNMENT? :roll:

Zappone on visit to Tuam to hear views on Mother and Baby Home site

Zappone on visit to Tuam to hear views on Mother and Baby Home site

17/07/2018 - The Minister for Children and Youth Affairs, Dr Katherine Zappone is to visit Tuam on Monday evening next (23rd July 2018).

During the visit she is expected to take time listening to the views of people on the future of the site of the Tuam Mother and Baby Home.

Speaking ahead of the visit Minister Zappone said:

“As I prepare to make a recommendation to Government on the future of children’s remains and the site of the former Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, I am anxious to have another opportunity to hear first-hand the views of people affected.

The consultation by Galway County Council as well as legal and expert advice will help inform my decision. However I do firmly believe that all voices must be given an opportunity to be heard.

As Minister I will hold a meeting at 7 pm at the Ard Rí House Hotel, Milltown Road, Tuam, Co. Galway next Monday 23rd July 2018.

I am inviting all those who believe they have yet to be heard and those who wish to support previously expressed views, to attend.

Notwithstanding the complexities surrounding the future of the site, it is important that the decisions which are taken are just, credible and transparent.

Next Monday’s gathering is another step to ensure we achieve those goals.”

Note to Editors

:evil: ***The Ministers discussions will be closed to media*** :evil:

Issued by the Press and Communications Office at the Department of Children and Youth Affairs,
Tel: 01 647 - 3153/3114
Email: media@dcya.gov.ie

Press Release - Tuam Home Survivors Network Response Regarding the Consultation Report

07/07/2018 - The Report of the so-called "Consultative process" on the future of the Tuam site is worthless, a crudely designed mechanism to delay or prevent what clearly requires to be done.

This Report commissioned by Minister Zappone using Galway County Council as her agent, seeks to further the myth that the Minister and Government in general has the power to decide the future of the mass grave at Tuam.

The only person or body which has jurisdiction over the site of the Tuam mass grave is the Coroner for North Galway, Dr Val Costello. The fact that Dr Costello has to date failed in his obligation to convene an Inquest into the deaths of 796 children at the former Home, does not confer any powers on the Minister or Government to deal with the issue.

Where the local Coroner either refuses or fails to act, the onus falls on the Attorney General, to appoint another Coroner pursuant to s24 of the Coroner's Act 1962.

The Minister's actions to date have done nothing but delay the inevitable, by claiming for herself, powers she does not have. She continues to subvert not merely the wishes of survivors and their families, but to brush aside the obligations of the State by a means of a local 'popular vote' on the future of the site.

To be clear, Tuam is a mass grave of almost 800 children. The only moral and legal way to deal with that reality is for an Inquest to be convened and a full excavation ordered, to allow as far as forensic science will permit, the causes of death in those children to be established. The Minister's actions to date have done nothing but distract from and obstruct that process.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/examiner-journalist-scoops-top-award-156696.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/three-irish-examiner-journalists-honoured-at-justice-media-awards-472172.html

StarryPlough01

FYI

Tuam Home Survivors Network's Secretary Breeda Murphy speaks to Presenter Angelina on Midwest Radio about Zappone's planned Tuam Final Meeting on Monday 23 July, at 7 pm, venue: Ard Rí House Hotel, Milltown Road, Tuam, Co. Galway

Midwest Radio

Midwest Radio - Listen Back

Click hard on the button for "Wednesday" (watch the colour change to a darker hue … indigo)

Click Classic Hits Country 13:00 - 14:00

Guest Speaker is: *Breeda Murphy, Secretary to Tuam Home Survivors Network [THSN]*

Introduction ~

Presenter Angelina:

THSN say they have communicated without any doubt to Minister for Children and Youth Affairs what they believe should happen with the site of the former home, THSN was responding to a statement that Minister Zappone will be holding a meeting on Monday [23 July].

Breeda Murphy [THSN] states:

We believe as a group that the Minister has already received the responses from the local community and ourselves.

…………………..

News items starts in earnest at 4.15

Presenter Angelina:

[Recapping THSN's requests] Remains need to be recovered from the site, DNA recorded and stored in a database that would be made available; and after these steps have been followed, the site can become a memorial for the lives lost and those who survived the institution. Breeda Murphy said prior to full excavation and retrieval with dignity, any talk of memorialisation is premature. She's been speaking to Midwest News.

Breeda [THSN]:

We've been waiting for a considerable time to have this brought to Cabinet. So, in recent weeks because nothing was happening we contacted the Coroner of North Galway Val Costello to perform his duties in relation to the site. They further forwarded correspondence to the Attorney General and the Taoiseach in relation to the site. In order to progress that the Minister has indicated that she wishes a Public Meeting before she can take it to Cabinet. BUT, in all honesty, I believe she has the information. She and the government are well aware of our views having submitted them on various occasions personally and externally facilitated meeting in Tuam, which was held in March. And nothing has changed from our perspective or is likely to change.

*We request the Government to act within the law to recover the remains from the site, remains of children and perhaps 5 or 6 missing mothers (5 died in the home and one died in Galway Hospital).

*To record their DNA, store in the database. It will be made available in to the future.

*Thereafter, the site, once the remains are removed, can be memorialised, if that's what people so wish.

BUT we need a FULL EXCAVATION. WE NEED THE RETRIEVAL OF REMAINS WITH DIGNITY. And any talk of memorialisation is premature in our opinion.

No alternative, we remain absolutely steadfast. The stakeholders are those who have family members who have disappeared from Tuam.

Real possibility that some of the 796 children are not at the site, they might have been child trafficked abroad. Children also lost their lives at the home and they were concealed, they were not buried, they were hidden (Corless' research) We have to retrieve any children disposed of in that manner, it is not a fitting Christian or Catholic burial, not fitting the laws of the land. It is in violation of human rights protocols. So we need to get the children's remains away from there and to have them interred with dignity.

Breeda thinks 90 percent of the people of Tuam are with the survivors on this. The people of Tuam want the children's remains taken from there as well.

You have to remember where the site is located, the site is a children's playground, a large part of it. So overhead from where the children lay, children play. The children are there regularly, probably aged between 3 -10. Breeda doesn't think it's appropriate for them to play there, not fair of them in life to come when they look back and think of what they have been playing over.

THSN believe the site needs to be looked at appropriately. The people of Tuam believe that themselves. There are some who would like it to go away … memorialisation, but that is not the view of the primary stakeholders, who are the relatives of the missing, who must be recognised and their remains must be retrieved. Human rights protocols ensure that happens when discovered.

For instance when graves were discovered in Northern Ireland of the disappeared, North and South came together to ensure the rights of those who were disappeared, those who were lost were recovered. That's all we are asking. That they are respectfully dealt with. That dignity is restored to those children. That we can recall them thereafter, we can visit Tuam, we can visit the actual site within the housing space. It can be a memorial, part can be a children's playground if need be. But right now there are children concealed, remains are mummified…

Please continue listening to the end of this broadcast.

Breeda encourages people to attend the meeting on Monday 23 July 2018.

Catalpast

A memorial alone is a cop out

The only way this Mystery can be solved is by excavation and a DNA analysis

But we have to be realistic as to what is practable here

They are NOT going to flatten the whole Estate to see what might be underneath it ...

Last edited:

StarryPlough01

"They weren't exactly saints "

- my mother RE magdalene survivors

Listowel Man,

Can your mother really cast JUDGMENT on a child who has been raped and forced to give birth, and thereafter branded a sinner and treated worse than a murderer for the remainder of her teenage years into adulthood.

The enslaved child's only crime being born female in a male dominated society that bowed to an external power - we handed everything over, our sovereignty - our newly won independence - to the VATICAN, who dictated the order and hierarchical nature and rules that benefited the Institutional Church - that's where all the money went. They got greedy for more profits and impoverished a nation while living off the labours of our citizens.

They worked the children to the bone and kept them longer than they should in the highly profitable businesses attached to religious - reformatory schools… While businesses in the market were unable to compete, as they were paying wages and overheads - the Magdalene Laundries were supplemented by State funds / contracts, and the women, unpaid for their labours, toiled and slaved six days weekly in inhuman conditions. How could anyone compete. And it explains why the Sadistic Sisters would not release the Magdalene women to family members - they were too valuable to let go.

………

:evil: Women and girls were oppressed by their own State, Church and Society :evil:

'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'

Catalpast

Listowel Man,

Can your mother really cast JUDGMENT on a child who has been raped and forced to give birth, and thereafter branded a sinner and treated worse than a murderer for the remainder of her teenage years into adulthood.

The enslaved child's only crime being born female in a male dominated society that bowed to an external power - we handed everything over, our sovereignty - our newly won independence - to the VATICAN, who dictated the order and hierarchical nature and rules that benefited the Institutional Church - that's where all the money went. They got greedy for more profits and impoverished a nation while living off the labours of our citizens.

They worked the children to the bone and kept them longer than they should in the highly profitable businesses attached to religious - reformatory schools… While businesses in the market were unable to compete, as they were paying wages and overheads - the Magdalene Laundries were supplemented by State funds / contracts, and the women, unpaid for their labours, toiled and slaved six days weekly in inhuman conditions. How could anyone compete. And it explains why the Sadistic Sisters would not release the Magdalene women to family members - they were too valuable to let go.

………

:evil: Women and girls were oppressed by their own State, Church and Society :evil:

'Let him who is without sin cast the first stone'
:roll:

Seriously are you on Drugs - illegal or legal?

Dame_Enda

The McAleese report said they didnt investigate the working conditions in the launderies because the numbers of survivors was too small to draw conclusions, apparently. :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies