The surprising findings of the Magdalene Laundries report

StarryPlough01

It's the children who suffer...

"In 2002, a critical investigation by The Boston Globe in the United States led to worldwide media coverage of child sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church. By 2010, much of the reporting focused on abuse in Europe. In 2012, Australia also announced it was to investigate the abuses by the church. {…]​
Institutional Child Sexual Abuse:
"In mid-February 2017, the [Australian] commission issued a report revealing: “Catholic Church authorities made total payments of [AU]$276.1 million [US$213million] in response to claims of child sexual abuse received between 1 January 1980 and 28 February 2015, including monetary compensation, treatment, legal and other costs.” Of the 4,445 cases the church received between January 1980 and February 2015 in the country, the report said the church managed to identify 1,880 alleged perpetrators, who included 597 (32% ‘religious brothers,’ 572 (30%) priests, 543 (29%) lay people, and 96 (5%) religious sisters or nuns. According to the report, 90% of abusers were male while the abused were also mostly boys.​

Abused%2Bby%2BPedophile%2BPriests%2BIn%2BAustralia.jpg

Credits: Amando Flavio, anonymous-news.com

June 3, 2017

'Forgiven By Church: Pedophile Priest With HIV Who Raped 30 Children'

"A pedophile priest with HIV, who admitted to raping 30 young girls between the ages of 5 and 10 years old, has been absolved by the Roman Catholic Church and will not face criminal charges. Spanish-language news site Urgente 24 reports: […] 👎
"One of the victim’s mother wrote a letter to the Pope asking to speak to him, but she was shunned by the Vatican an[d] told “the matter is closed.” Only two out of the thirty rape victims have stepped forward to decry the acquittal. *POPE FRANCIS says these kinds of actions by the church are designed to make a “more merciful church.” 👎 Sadly, what it does is create a soft environment for pedophiles to breed and rape more children. 👎 The Roman Catholic Church has had a long history of pedophilia and sodomy across the globe, including the US. Jay Greenburg references The Boston Globe in his commentary on what the church has engaged in.​

Credits: Tim Brown, The Washington Standard

StarryPlough01

Sainthood is going pretty cheap nowadays...

Prince Charles attends canonisation of John Henry Newman

Michael Kelly @MichaelKellyIC Oct 13

"Award-winning Editor of The Irish Catholic, broadcaster, author, media trainer, voiceover guy. Tyrone man. Views mine etc."

There are official delegations at the canonisation from Italy (president) UK (Prince of Wales) Brazil (vice president) Taiwan (vice-president) Switzerland (federal councillor) India (deputy foreign minister) and Ireland (education minister) #NewmanCanonisation

1:18 AM - 13 Oct 2019

Govt caves in to pressure over Canonisation ‘no show’

Chai Brady
October 10, 2019

Among those piling on the pressure formally and informally was former Taoiseach John Bruton who said “I think the Government should be represented, so should UCD. My understanding is that the university founded by John Henry Newman evolved into UCD, and this was sort of underlined by the passage of the National University of Ireland legislation in 1908,” he told this paper.

The miracle ~ saints be praised:

Starry: What a waste of taxpayers money - to send a government representative to Italy on this junket. Alas, sainthood is going pretty cheap these days. It used to be you had your head chopped off or body pierced with a sling of arrows.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The state shall not endow any religion... I assume we'll be sending a minister off to India to bathe in the Ganges also?

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Updated: Jul 21, 2019 Original: Mar 12, 2018

How Ireland Turned ‘Fallen Women’ Into Slaves

By Erin Blakemore

"But over time, the institutions became more like prisons, with many different groups of women being routed through the system, sometimes by the Irish government. There were inmates imported from psychiatric institutions and jails, women with special needs, victims of rape and sexual assault, pregnant teenagers sent there by their parents, and girls deemed too flirtatious or tempting to men. Others were there for no obvious reason. Though the institutions were run by Catholic orders, they were supported by the Irish government, which funneled money toward the system in exchange for laundry services.​
….​
[Mary Smith]​
"Smith was incarcerated in the Sundays Well laundry in Cork after being raped; nuns told her it was “in case she got pregnant.” Once there, she was forced to cut her hair and take on a new name. She was not allowed to talk and was assigned backbreaking work in the laundry, where nuns regularly beat her for minor infractions and forced her to sleep in the cold. ....​
In 2014, remains of at least 796 babies were found in a septic tank in the home’s yard; the facility is still being investigated to reconstruct the story of what happened there.

That is a blatant lie!

If Erin wants to be taken seriously as a Journalist and budding historian she needs to stop being so gullible!

"Until 1996, pregnant or promiscuous women could be incarcerated for life in Magdalene Laundries."

More utter drivel! :rolleyes:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'I don't accept that' Lenihan I am sure went to a good catholic school n'all.

StarryPlough01

In 2014, remains of at least 796 babies were found in a septic tank in the home’s yard; the facility is still being investigated to reconstruct the story of what happened there.

That is a blatant lie!

If Erin wants to be taken seriously as a Journalist and budding historian she needs to stop being so gullible!

"Until 1996, pregnant or promiscuous women could be incarcerated for life in Magdalene Laundries."

More utter drivel! :rolleyes:

Cat, please double-check your "FACTS" before posting here. Thank you.

***In 1993, 14 year old Jenny escaped from Sean McDermott Street Magdalene Laundry***

The last of the Magdalenes: 'The nuns took my childhood'

Now just 40, ‘Jenny’ was one of the last generation to live in Ireland’s Magdalene laundries

Sat, Jun 2, 2018, 05:55

Deirdre Falvey

"She [14 year old Jenny] used apples and oranges to bribe others so she could be within hearing when the bell rang. “It was now. Mother Pi [the senior nun] was at the door. She was ready to shut it. I shoved the door with my hand, and I kind of pushed her – she didn’t go flying or anything. And I was out the door.​
“I had images of a nun coming after me down the road. But I was young and I could run. I was halfway up Grace Park Road before I stopped running. I had not looked back.”​
"It was 1993, and Jenny was not yet 15. She was making a break for freedom from the Sean McDermott Street Magdalen laundry where she lived at the time. She didn’t look back. […]​
"That day she escaped, Jenny found herself running towards High Park in Drumcondra, another Magdalen laundry where she had lived, because it was a familiar place. She had been running for 3km when she stopped and collected her thoughts. […]​

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Cat, please double-check your "FACTS" before posting here. Thank you.

***In 1993, 14 year old Jenny escaped from Sean McDermott Street Magdalene Laundry***

Now just 40, ‘Jenny’ was one of the last generation to live in Ireland’s Magdalene laundries

Deirdre Falvey

"She [14 year old Jenny] used apples and oranges to bribe others so she could be within hearing when the bell rang. “It was now. Mother Pi [the senior nun] was at the door. She was ready to shut it. I shoved the door with my hand, and I kind of pushed her – she didn’t go flying or anything. And I was out the door.​
“I had images of a nun coming after me down the road. But I was young and I could run. I was halfway up Grace Park Road before I stopped running. I had not looked back.”​
"It was 1993, and Jenny was not yet 15. She was making a break for freedom from the Sean McDermott Street Magdalen laundry where she lived at the time. She didn’t look back. […]​
"That day she escaped, Jenny found herself running towards High Park in Drumcondra, another Magdalen laundry where she had lived, because it was a familiar place. She had been running for 3km when she stopped and collected her thoughts. […]​
Facts are verifiable

- what verification of this Story can you produce?

Its clear as day obvious you were not an Adult in the Ireland of 1993.

StarryPlough01

Facts are verifiable

- what verification of this Story can you produce?

Its clear as day obvious you were not an Adult in the Ireland of 1993.

I am asking for some intellectual integrity on your part. You make "FACTS" up.

StarryPlough01

What facts have I made up then?

Your one saving grace is that you didn't call the writer Erin Blakemore a liar. In the past, you defamed another - a journalist - saying she was a liar. On this occasion you said Erin Blakemore was speaking "utter drivel" when she wrote:

Cat, Ms Blakemore was correct, as can be verified by survivor Jenny's testimony - she escaped at 14 years of age from the Sisters of Charity, Sean McDermott Street Magdalene Laundry in 1993:

'Now just 40, ‘Jenny’ was one of the last generation to live in Ireland’s Magdalene laundries'

By Deirdre Falvey

Cat,

Your attacks on professional women and track record of playing fast and loose with the TRUTH are well documented. Who in their right mind would want to debate with such a person?

StarryPlough01

Claire McGettrick‏ @cmcgettrick

Finally got around to updating our database of deaths at Magdalene Laundries. We now have details of 1,948 women who died in the laundries. Most (but not all) are identified by name. Many are in unmarked graves. Significant questions remain unanswered. #MagdaleneNamesProject

2:10 PM - 18 Oct 2019

Sarah Clarkin‏ @SarahClarkin Oct 18
Replying to @cmcgettrick

Such important work, giving so many women their names back. Heartbreaking that it’s not possible for all.

^^^ Agreed. Well Done Claire! A significant achievement. It didn't help not being given researcher access to McAleese archives.

Stentor

Initial reaction to Martin McAleese's inquiry seems to be that the report is not as damning as had been anticipated. Ursulla Halligan for TV3 and Nick Heigham for the BBC have both just made reports to that effect. The Indo:

Report: Nuns 'did their best' in the laundries - National News - Independent.ie

From the report itself:

Report here (PDF Warning): http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Executive Summary.pdf/Files/Executive Summary.pdf

Whether this early consensus sticks in the coming days, we'll see. And I have not yet heard a comprehensive commentary on State culpability. We know the numbers (26% sent to laundries by the State), but not the full significance in legal terms yet.

It's also noteworthy that the person in charge, Martin McAleese, seems to be so well regarded that there is no question about the integrity of the report. He deserves a lot of credit.
Whatever.

True story from around 1975. I know this chap personally and have no reason to disbelieve it.

He was 5yo when his mother remarried.
New 'father' decided he was an embarrassment and took him out one day for a walk. Arrived at priest run home for boys in south inner city Dublin. Knocked on door and handed the boy over to priest. Turned on heel and walked away.

At bedtime in this home the boys went to sleep in dormitory. At night time a priest walked the dorm and selected a boy. Woke boy up and brought him to priests room where boy was raped. This happened almost nightly. Little blond boy in the next bed to my friend was a particular favourite.

This friend is now in his mid 50's. His story and the stories of many like him will never be heard. As the rape crisis centre will tell you, only a small number of victims come forward. This is a universal rule.

Fact of the matter is that the RCC has made every attempt to avoid their responsibility. This included at one point suggesting that the devil had used the children to tempt the priests. Think about that one.

During the tiger years they unloaded a lot of property to friendly developers. They continue to farm vulnerable people through their white knuckled grip on the homeless sector and immigration.

They are certainly not entirely to blame. Ireland did have a civil service and a government throughout this dark period. Of course a submissive genuflecting population raised on its knees with its mouth wide open was also required.

It's a disgusting business and intrinsically anti christian. Jesus would burn it to the ground.

Stentor

Your one saving grace is that you didn't call the writer Erin Blakemore a liar. In the past, you defamed another - a journalist - saying she was a liar. On this occasion you said Erin Blakemore was speaking "utter drivel" when she wrote:

Cat, Ms Blakemore was correct, as can be verified by survivor Jenny's testimony - she escaped at 14 years of age from the Sisters of Charity, Sean McDermott Street Magdalene Laundry in 1993:

'Now just 40, ‘Jenny’ was one of the last generation to live in Ireland’s Magdalene laundries'

By Deirdre Falvey

Cat,

Your attacks on professional women and track record of playing fast and loose with the TRUTH are well documented. Who in their right mind would want to debate with such a person?
Yes. They both hate and fear women.

Stentor

Stentor

A friend from Ballyfermot forwarded that IT article
to me on the day it was published. I got as far as that paragraph and had to stop reading.

But it's worth returning to. Lest we forget.

PS....I for one support the priests legal team.
He most certainly should be released. If they expedite he wont miss the Halloween bonfires in Ballyfermot. Gardai should drop him off there at midnight and give the local youths a head up.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If I were to tell you my preferred final solution to these clerical abuse scandals I'd be banned off the forum. Draw your own inference... but I can say quite confidently that there wouldn't be any recidivism to record.

Stentor

Note the "possibly" in the headline.

We'll never know. But we kinda do.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There's a fair bit of historical evidence for something of a competitive nature among these warped failures of the human race.

Stentor

If I were to tell you my preferred final solution to these clerical abuse scandals I'd be banned off the forum. Draw your own inference... but I can say quite confidently that there wouldn't be any recidivism to record.
Rejoice Brother Lumpy! The RCC is all but dead in Ireland. Only the judges hold moral authority now, and only the most blindly ignorant adherents are still giving a fig about their religion.

It's a sex death cult dreamed up in a patriarchal, barbaric and ignorant period of human history in a region that has produced the most lethal religious memes and continues to do so. ISIS comes to mind.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom