The Swallows have arrived

Destiny's Soldier

Summer is on the way here in the Peoples Republic and we can look forward to the hearing twittering sounds from the swallows soaring above us.

Anyone see them elsewhere before today?

flavirostris

seen and heard in the west yesterday - already nest prospecting

wysiwyg

Hmm.. summers on the way in the peoples republic huh (non capitals are deliberate.. ye're not a capital, real or otherwise)....

Ye and those swallows would want to mind the Cats

jdaly

Good to hear they are back but the 'twittering' never stopped, just that it was emanating from those weird un-feathered ( except for their nests) birds we call politicians.

Does any think there are a few more thrushes around than there have been for some years?

Destiny's Soldier

14th of April 2010 and my first sighting of swallows. 13th of April in '09.

They made too many nests on my house last year. They won't get away with the level of sh1t this year. !

MsAnneThrope

Isn't it amazing how they time their arrival? I was just out in the garden and observed an unprecedented amount of insects this year flying around the place. The swallows won't go hungry!

flavirostris

They were early this year. Saw my first around March 21st or 22nd

liamfoley

Saw one outside Gorey last Sunday.

An Gilladaker

Isn't it amazing how they time their arrival? I was just out in the garden and observed an unprecedented amount of insects this year flying around the place. The swallows won't go hungry!
You must live close to Kildare St there are usually unprecedented amounts of insects in that area dont know why

flavirostris

Wow, that is early. I only saw my first one last weekend.
They've only started arriving in decent numbers over the last 2 weeks but there were several "scouts" in late March ( even though it was still very cold ). Still have not heard Chiffchaff although they are most likely arriving in numbers now. Wheatear would have been arriving from early March and Sand Martin from Mid March.

jdaly

Wow, that is early. I only saw my first one last weekend.
I read an article about these 'early birds' about two weeks ago and it claimed that those very early arrivals were part of a growing number which overwinter in Spain rather than going all the way to Africa. I fear some of them arived before the weather picked up meaning there wouldn't be much insects on the wing for them.

Ah Well

Hmm.. summers on the way in the peoples republic huh (non capitals are deliberate.. ye're not a capital, real or otherwise)....

Ye and those swallows would want to mind the Cats
haha ... surefire way to get Wizzy going ... mention Cork :p

No sign of swallows in this part of the PROC yet tho ... they must have been reading Lonely Planet and are chilling out in de City for a while :D

yerra

14th of April 2010 and my first sighting of swallows. 13th of April in '09.

They made too many nests on my house last year. They won't get away with the level of sh1t this year. !
They are probably house martins...and leave them alone you big game hunter you. I mean considering the great tonnage of it that has descended on all of us whats a little birdsh1t?

yerra

Our martins arrived on the 7thApril and got busy nest repairing. We saw our first swallow on the strand road to Catlegregory beach on Sunday last, a beautiful spring day.

Destiny's Soldier

On vacation in Ireland for a few weeks over the Easter period, just in time to see my first sighting of swallows yesterday.

Spotted one yesterday evening on the M9 and then a group of them on the N25 in Waterford and finally seen them in Cork this morning. Now I didn't realise at the time of creating this thread how relevant this subject matter would be.

The Royal Irish Academy produced a glossy leaflet entitled the "10th Scientific Statement" which incidentally, is on the extremely light side of scientific. It equates higher spring temperatures with the early arrival of the swallow.

It's more colour photos than anything that could be considered worthy of scientific merit. See glossy leaflet here:

http://www.ria.ie/getmedia/0da9944b-46ea-4ef1-b22c-7edc8a69c0ee/Climate-change-10_1.pdf.aspx

As you know, 2009, 2010, and 2011 were pretty cold winters in Ireland. Spring temperatures were also on the very low side.

This year was one of the warmest Springs on record in Ireland yet it had no bearing on the arrival time of the swallows into Ireland.
The 1st swallow I saw was yesterday, 16th of April and in the years previous with an exceptionally cold spring, was 13th & 14th of April.

The RIA report is surely one of the least founded statements written until the auspices of scientific.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies