The Swallows have arrived

G

Gimpanzee

As you know, 2009, 2010, and 2011 were pretty cold winters in Ireland. Spring temperatures were also on the very low side.

This year was one of the warmest Springs on record in Ireland yet it had no bearing on the arrival time of the swallows into Ireland.
The 1st swallow I saw was yesterday, 16th of April and in the years previous with an exceptionally cold spring, was 13th & 14th of April.
First off, if you're going to criticise something for lacking scientific rigour, then you'd better have something other than a glance out the window of the car to back it up. Swallows were recorded in Cork at the March, just because you didn't see them until yesterday means nothing.

Second, the harshness of the inter in Ireland isn't a critical factor. They don't look up Met.ie from Africa and barrell on up. The weather all along their route is what matters. If wintery weather persists late into spring here they will stay south of here for longer. If they get mild weather all the way up, then they'll move north at a quicker rate.

Lonewolfe

Summer is on the way here in the Peoples Republic and we can look forward to the hearing twittering sounds from the swallows soaring above us.

Anyone see them elsewhere before today?

Bollix, I've been meaning to fix the hole in my facia boards - thanks for the reminder.

Pat Gill

Website
www.energyco-ops.ie
Twitter
Pat_Gill
First off, if you're going to criticise something for lacking scientific rigour, then you'd better have something other than a glance out the window of the car to back it up. Swallows were recorded in Cork at the March, just because you didn't see them until yesterday means nothing.

Second, the harshness of the inter in Ireland isn't a critical factor. They don't look up Met.ie from Africa and barrell on up. The weather all along their route is what matters. If wintery weather persists late into spring here they will stay south of here for longer. If they get mild weather all the way up, then they'll move north at a quicker rate.
Who told you that you could use common sense on P.ie

Reported.

Destiny's Soldier

Fair enough. I have been on the lookout every day for the past 3 weeks. My eyes haven't deceived me.

Sounds logical to me.

Perhaps you might let the RIA know. It's just that RIA didn't include any temp data for the route they take to get to Ireland for the past 30 years.

Temperature in Ireland tends to fluctuate a lot and Spring Temp in Ireland doesn't seem to affect the swallows as the glossy leaflet would have us believe. If it were the case the bulk of them would have arrived in March. They didn't arrive in great numbers here until this week. Therefore the study is rubbish unless it includes the temperature for the path the swallows take when they leave Africa.

Harry Lime

Swallow, the bird of love...

Trampas

The cuckoo should be arriving about now also.......although it is years since I have heard one.

Destiny's Soldier

I saw my 1st Swallow of the season in Youghal on 11th of April 2014. But it wasn't until the 21st of April that I saw Swallows in large numbers in the rest of the County.

In my homestead, they arrived on the 21st of April which was same as they did last year 2013. Housemartins followed within a few days. The cacophony of twittering between all the species of birds at their arrival was a joy to listen to.

It is no harm to keep an eye on when the Swallows arrive becuase our friends at the EPA have resorted to using them as a temperature proxy to sell their Climate Change propaganda.

Destiny's Soldier

Those beautiful little creatures landed in my Cork homestead yesterday April 15.

Happy new breeding season everyone.

And happy cleaning up the droppings.

Bemafar

I saw them here, yesterday, for the first time this year, . Time to get the hose prepared to prevent them building the nests on the gables again! And, in case you think I'm being mean, the nests don't adhere well and as soon as the eggs hatch, the nests break from the house and the chicks are killed. So I'm really doing them a favour :)

Destiny's Soldier

As I keep track on the arrival dates of the Swallows every year -what did I see yesterday April 6th?

Several Hundred, perhaps a thousand Housemartins flying a few inches above a freshwater lake in Cork yesterday. They flew above the lake scooping up water to drink on the wing. Perhaps their first drink since crossing the Irish Sea.

Summer is here.

Rural

er.........can the cuckoo be long delayed.
I heard the Cuckoo, I was expecting number one Son and we had moved to live in the West, it was a magnificent Summer that year, 1989, and it was the only time I heard the Cuckoo.

Destiny's Soldier

As I was cruising on the N25 -there between Midleton and Castlemartyr on Loughaderra Lake. I slowed down scrubbed my eyes and nearly got rear ended at the same time - drove on some and did a 360 to come back and check to be sure.

In my experience, the Swallows get here first and leave in Sept. The Housemartins arrive end of April and leave in October right up to Oct 25th. So to see so many Housemartins was quite amazing.

drummed

Sounds like shooting season is open.:)

between the bridges

Rather them than the spitters...

gatsbygirl20

I heard the Cuckoo, I was expecting number one Son and we had moved to live in the West, it was a magnificent Summer that year, 1989, and it was the only time I heard the Cuckoo.
I had a baby that June as well, Rural. I recall the warm days ( too warm in my "condition") and the roses which bloomed so beautifully that year in my garden...

Down the West of Ireland during the long May twilight is a great place for the cuckoo......or maybe it's easier to hear her in the silence...

Diawlbach

As I was cruising on the N25 -there between Midleton and Castlemartyr on Loughaderra Lake. I slowed down scrubbed my eyes and nearly got rear ended at the same time - drove on some and did a 360 to come back and check to be sure.

In my experience, the Swallows get here first and leave in Sept. The Housemartins arrive end of April and leave in October right up to Oct 25th. So to see so many Housemartins was quite amazing.
Might go for a cycle that way. The summer birds make me happy. :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies