The Tallaght Strategy

General Urko

Was this fully endorsed by The Fine Gael Party? Who was the brains behind developing it? Was it purely motivated by wanting to do right by the economy? How do you view it almost 30 years on? Did it finish Dukes as leader?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallaght_Strategy

General Urko

Sorry, Mods, I meant to put this in the History forum, where in my opinion it belongs, once aagain tiredness has made me put an OP in the wrong thread!

General Urko

Also, how much does the current 'new' politics resemble it?

Hunter-Gatherer

an ideology where all the big parties agree on how to run the country. No debate. No dissent. Just all the sheep with their heads in the trough.

so what is the point in voting when all your politicians support the same stuff ?

SamsonS

With hindsight, it certainly finished Alan Dukes. In pure politics, it didn't work for FG.

From an economic point of view it provided cover for the economic policies that were brought in then - they simply could not have been brought in otherwise.

former wesleyan

Interviewed last Saturday as part of the coverage of Peter arry, Dukes said that there was no option but to agree to FF policies because they were a straight lift from FG's policies.

FunkyBoogaloo

Interviewed last Saturday as part of the coverage of Peter arry, Dukes said that there was no option but to agree to FF policies because they were a straight lift from FG's policies.
An almost mirror-image of what happened from 2011-2016.

FG and FF are two cheeks of the same cronyist, corrupt arse.

JCR

It is said to have finished Dukes which is probably did. People prefer to vote for a cute hoor in Ireland for some reason. Back then it was followed through as well - we'll see how the New Politics lasts. Until Martin spots his chance is how long.

Gin Soaked

Also, how much does the current 'new' politics resemble it?
FF are better at playing the advantage now than FG were then. And it finished Dukes.

Plus, much as I despise CJH, he was more effective than Enda

And, finally, back then we did not have populist tossers whinging incessantly.

GDPR

FF are better at playing the advantage now than FG were then. And it finished Dukes.

OMG, thats all you had! The biggest populist tosser was CJ himself.

FunkyBoogaloo

...he says, soaked in gin.

flavirostris

Bad for FG and ultimately bad for the country as it created a false perception of Fianna Fail as economically competent and trustworthy.

That would lead to ruin 20 years later..

General Urko

Ok. Fair point about CJH, but he was the Taoiseach.

Should I take succour in feck all changing then so feck all will change now..?
I think CJH was a lowlife fooking scum and for all their numerous faults, BIFFO and Edna are certainly more decent human beings than he couls ever have dreamed of!
However, if he had been the boss during the big downturn, there is no way he would have been turned inside out by the EU/Troika no way!

Éireann_Ascendant

Twitter
eireannascenda
An example of how altruism and politics do not mix - after all, FG attempted to do right by the country by not opposing beneficial policies and were 'rewarded' by being slaughtered by the electorate.

Also a case of the near chronic incompetence at winning elections by FG which started when they lost the election in 1932 to Fianna Fáil and set the trend for the proceedings years.

Even these days, Kenny probably only gained the top job - he had already badly fumbled it in debates with Bertie Ahearn of all people - if he had not been opposing someone even more terrible in the (considerable) shape of Brian Cowan.

FG strategy in a nutshell - wait for FF to finally collapse and then, maybe, score through the open goalposts.

making waves

Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Nothing new there.

making waves

I think CJH was a lowlife fooking scum and for all their numerous faults, BIFFO and Edna are certainly more decent human beings than he couls ever have dreamed of!
No difference - CJH just creamed a little more off the top.

However, if he had been the boss during the big downturn, there is no way he would have been turned inside out by the EU/Troika no way!
Naw - he would have accommodated anyone who would have paid for his Chavet shirts. Apple would have been a lucrative source of free dinners in Le Coq Hardi

New Threads

Most Replies