The Teaching Council

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

Are there any teachers on the Forum?

Why are you conceding to such utter rubbish?
 


qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
qtman said:
Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

Are there any teachers on the Forum?

Why are you conceding to such utter rubbish?
*Bump*
 

Kate P

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
106
qtman said:
qtman said:
Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

Are there any teachers on the Forum?

Why are you conceding to such utter rubbish?
*Bump*
I think I got bumpf from them in the past and ignored it.

But I'm out of teaching and not planning to go back so maybe it's a moot point but since it wouldn't be in a position to help me do the job any better, I'd be pretty reluctant to pay it. given the choice.
 

Auditor #9

Active member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
237
Website
www.*******.com
I've so far avoided this - don't know how - is it only for those permanent people or something? I haven't been teaching for too long. (maybe I threw their letter in the bin by mistake - there's a lot of reader's digest junk mail)

I'm sorry I opened this thread - now I can't plead ignorance anymore.

And six and a half million is a lot of money for what actually? Are they stockpiling something? Mother of God.
 

drjimryan

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
76
no choice!

No reg = No pay!

its a total joke, mess, nightmare and makes very little sense.......
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
qtman said:
Under the Teaching Council Act, 2001, all teachers in state funded schools are required to register with the Teaching Council. Prior to this year, the Council was funded by the State, but now becomes a self-funding body.

The Council have therefor asked 70,000 teachers to pay an annual registration fee of €90. This amounts to potential income for the Council of:

€6,300,000

In the FAQ on the Council's website, the Council explain what this will be used for:

"The fee will be used to fund the operations of the Council across all areas of its work. The main items of expenditure are projected to be staff costs (including dedicated Garda vetting staff, qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff) , costs associated with communications (mailings to teachers, design and print of publications, establishment of new web-site etc.), research (including commissioned research, research bursaries etc.), IT costs (mainly to support the ongoing maintenance of the Register of Teachers), legal fees, office management costs (rent, light, heat etc.)."

Are there any teachers on the Forum?

Why are you conceding to such utter rubbish?
Hey Im just filling in my application now as it happens.

In general terms, the code of conduct is fine and dandy but in reality there is no meat to it!!
 

Kate P

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
106
D.Harry said:
It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?
We (they?) get to pay for other people to sit in nice warm offices with lots of resources and support staff of course...
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
D.Harry said:
It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?


I'm a teacher and I think the unions are too strong. They defend the interests of those teachers who are shit!! They wont support their sanction
 

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
I started the thread because my wife has to pay it it.

She barely even queried it.

I think its some sort of PAYE mindset ie if an official looking letter arrives in the post you better do what it tells you.

I'm self-employed. Anyone looking for a compulsory payment from me better make sure their life depends on it.

How the hell can they justify a budget of €6.5m for an office, a website and a few publications? And then you 'have to' pay TUI fees on top of that.
 

Kate P

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
106
Dunny said:
D.Harry said:
It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?


I'm a teacher and I think the unions are too strong. They defend the interests of those teachers who are shit!! They wont support their sanction
It was very clear a couple of years ago when teachers went on strike - that awful midweek work to rule - that the unions were well out of touch with what teachers really wanted. It was horribly divisive. ASTI at the time seemed to be in kamikaze mode, people left the Union, past pupils STILL talk about the effect it had on them and I don't think we ever really regained credibility after it. Nasty taste left in everyone's mouth.
 

Auditor #9

Active member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
237
Website
www.*******.com
qtman said:
I started the thread because my wife has to pay it it.

She barely even queried it.

I think its some sort of PAYE mindset ie if an official looking letter arrives in the post you better do what it tells you.

I'm self-employed. Anyone looking for a compulsory payment from me better make sure their life depends on it.

How the hell can they justify a budget of €6.5m for an office, a website and a few publications? And then you 'have to' pay TUI fees on top of that.
What the hell do they do with the money?
 

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
Auditor #9 said:
qtman said:
I started the thread because my wife has to pay it it.

She barely even queried it.

I think its some sort of PAYE mindset ie if an official looking letter arrives in the post you better do what it tells you.

I'm self-employed. Anyone looking for a compulsory payment from me better make sure their life depends on it.

How the hell can they justify a budget of €6.5m for an office, a website and a few publications? And then you 'have to' pay TUI fees on top of that.
What the hell do they do with the money?
"qualification verification staff, registration staff, IT staff, communications and education staff"


Why did the the TUI/ASTI agree to this?

Judging from the message on the TC website, they seem to be getting a bit of flack.


For instance, you still have to pay the full whack if you are retiring or going on leave.
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Kate P said:
Dunny said:
[quote="D.Harry":xidu4n84]It just goes to demonstrate the utter passivity of the teacher unions when it comes to their members' interests. Where is the gain for the teachers for their 90 euros?


I'm a teacher and I think the unions are too strong. They defend the interests of those teachers who are shit!! They wont support their sanction
It was very clear a couple of years ago when teachers went on strike - that awful midweek work to rule - that the unions were well out of touch with what teachers really wanted. It was horribly divisive. ASTI at the time seemed to be in kamikaze mode, people left the Union, past pupils STILL talk about the effect it had on them and I don't think we ever really regained credibility after it. Nasty taste left in everyone's mouth.[/quote:xidu4n84]


I was in Leaving Cert during those strikes. It affected my results no doubt.

My former class mates still refer to the ASTI as the NASTY Union!!

Its the main reason why I joined the TUI over the ASTI
 

Kate P

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
106
qtman said:
I started the thread because my wife has to pay it it.

She barely even queried it.

I think its some sort of PAYE mindset ie if an official looking letter arrives in the post you better do what it tells you.

I'm self-employed. Anyone looking for a compulsory payment from me better make sure their life depends on it.

How the hell can they justify a budget of €6.5m for an office, a website and a few publications? And then you 'have to' pay TUI fees on top of that.
13. I’m on career break. Do I need to pay a fee to maintain my registration?

It is advisable that you maintain your registration with the Council and, in order to do so, you must pay an annual renewal fee. However, you may choose to let your registration lapse while you are on career break. If you choose to do so, you are advised to apply to the Council for registration in accordance with Section 31(5) of the Teaching Council Act, 2001, when the end of your career break is approaching. At that point, you would be required to undergo the full application process. If you are out of service for more than three years, you will be required to undergo Garda Vetting and that may take up to three months.


Bloody hell.

I didn't get anything in the post this week though...

Maybe I'm better off out of it than I thought.

The link below is to the document that shows what teachers will get out of council membership and registration (or not, as the case may be... :roll: )

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileuplo ... 636316.pdf
 

pauriceenjack

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
111
Its is a good idea to have a professional body for teachers. Same idea as Solicitors, Accountants, Engineers, Doctors, Architects, Nurses.

Such a boby can represent the Profession in a manner that Unions can not.

A Professional body would deal with Ethical Standards and allow for review of such matters by ones peers, rather than external bodies like boards of management.

The other professional bodies get member discounts on mortgages, insurance, hotel accomodation, etc so the financial cost can be offset.

Inevitably the registration cost will be passed on through higher pay claims
 

noodles

Well-known member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
417
You are entitled to a tax credit for Union subs of 70 and the teaching council expense of 90 will be deductable also probably by an increased Flat rate expenses allowance (already around 520 ish)

In general a register of teachers/ qualifications/ Garda Vetting etc is a good idea.

The cost issue is crazy. Surely an initial capital outlay is needed for computers etc but after that you just need Data entry staff at 25K a year.

Reminds me of the 100 monkeys typing for eternity eventually producing the entire works of Shakespeare.
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
pauriceenjack said:
Its is a good idea to have a professional body for teachers. Same idea as Solicitors, Accountants, Engineers, Doctors, Architects, Nurses.

Such a boby can represent the Profession in a manner that Unions can not.

A Professional body would deal with Ethical Standards and allow for review of such matters by ones peers, rather than external bodies like boards of management.

The other professional bodies get member discounts on mortgages, insurance, hotel accomodation, etc so the financial cost can be offset.

Inevitably the registration cost will be passed on through higher pay claims
We already have Professional Bodies..They are called Unions

The Teaching Council is a state intrument in regulating teachers and setting standards.

The Unions will still provide all the services
 

Dunny

Active member
Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
152
Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Auditor #9 said:
So that's what the TC does - regulate teachers or supposed to.

Do they get audited? How do we know we;re getting value for money?

And off-topic slightly, is it similar to the nurses boards An Board Altranais?
They first off check if some one is fit to be a teacher. I.e. vetting etc.

I also thick its the registration body for teachers
 

Kate P

Active member
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
106
Dunny said:
Auditor #9 said:
So that's what the TC does - regulate teachers or supposed to.

Do they get audited? How do we know we;re getting value for money?

And off-topic slightly, is it similar to the nurses boards An Board Altranais?
They first off check if some one is fit to be a teacher. I.e. vetting etc.

I also thick its the registration body for teachers
There may be others on the site who are more knowledgeable about this than me but...

When started teaching full time I had to register (very tedious process) but as far as I recall it was through the department.

The TC has been in operation since 2001 and is a separated body now looking after registration - ie, ensuring that those who are registered have attained certain standards. I've never had any communication from them. I didn't need Garda clearance though, as I recall.

Reading the brochure doesn't give an indication of anything that makes the TC any different to the old registration unit. It seems like a dirty big filing system and not much else.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top