• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Teaching of Religion as Fact

ruserious

I remember, as I'm sure many of you do, the days in primary school where religion was taught as fact. It was almost an extension of history class. I'm also sure many of you would agree this is very dangerous.

Teaching religious ideas as fact undermines science education by misinforming students about the scientific method; the basis for science literacy. The scientific method teaches students the fundamentals of science; how to observe data, perform experiments and form scientific theory. Religious explanations for creation are not science, they cannot be confirmed or denied by the scientific method. Teaching them as science confuses and misleads students about the scientific method, thereby depriving them of a high-quality science education.

The teaching of religion in schools ought only be part of a wider cultural class which teaches among many other things, about the various religions of earth and what they profess.

Religious instruction, which is what we all received in national school, ought be the responsibility of the individual religions and outside school hours, save for private schools.

Until there is a complete secularisation of schools, quality scientific education is under threat and children are open to being corrupted at the behest of the taxpayer.

A REASON

There was a nice angelous on today. One of their best efforts. Can't wait for tomorrows episode. :lol:

Barna

I remember, as I'm sure many of you do, the days in primary school where religion was taught as fact. It was almost an extension of history class. I'm also sure many of you would agree this is very dangerous.

Teaching religious ideas as fact undermines science education by misinforming students about the scientific method; the basis for science literacy. The scientific method teaches students the fundamentals of science; how to observe data, perform experiments and form scientific theory. Religious explanations for creation are not science, they cannot be confirmed or denied by the scientific method. Teaching them as science confuses and misleads students about the scientific method, thereby depriving them of a high-quality science education.

The teaching of religion in schools ought only be part of a wider cultural class which teaches among many other things, about the various religions of earth and what they profess.

Religious instruction, which is what we all received in national school, ought be the responsibility of the individual religions and outside school hours, save for private schools.

Until there is a complete secularisation of schools, quality scientific education is under threat and children are open to being corrupted at the behest of the taxpayer.
Isn't there a thread on this already?

Accidental sock

They lost me at talking snakes....

Accidental sock

And where in the bible is the Angelus mandated?

Bong.....

Bong.....

Bong.....
it's in there.....somewhere at the back....

" ....and twice daily, the random people did stare blankly, as the holy spirit did visit upon them a facial expression that did exclaim like heavenly clarion.......did I leave the immersion on?... ...and whilst these pedestrian yokels did stare off like stoned meerkats, the air was filled with the sound of an empty barrel falling down a flight of stairs...

The Lord beheld these events ....and saw that they were good"

Watcher2

I don't remember it being taught as a science like you suggest above. In fact, I was taught it was very much not a science because it could not be explained like science. You had to have faith.

Interestingly, scientists call a thing the "God particle".

But religious indoctrination should not be taught in schools.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Faith' isn't such a bad thing when you are battling through the Arctic to reach the magnetic North Pole. Or having 'faith' in the idea that in a battle if you are wounded your comrades will try their best to extract you in one piece to the medical facilities.

PG Wodehouse showed a great act of faith in the essential decency of his fellow man when he experimented by stamping and addressing letters to his friends and subsequently throwing the envelope out of his study window to lie in the street. He claimed over the years that no letter had ever gone astray and that his faith in society was redeemed over and over again by the fact that any passer-by on spotting the stamped and addressed envelope would pick it up and pop it in the nearest postbox.

Not such a great thing though when 'faith' means you are somehow enabled to peer through your neighbours' windows in order to police their behaviour according to your 'faith'.

So 'faith' is not something that is owned by religions. In truth very little is owned by religions other than property and land and wealth.

And they only have that by leaning on a very slim definition of 'faith' in their followers indeed.

Vega1447

I don't remember it being taught as a science like you suggest above. In fact, I was taught it was very much not a science because it could not be explained like science. You had to have faith.

Interestingly, scientists call a thing the "God particle".

But religious indoctrination should not be taught in schools.

"Scientists" didn't call the Higgs boson the "God" particle. Journos did..... It was a particularly stupid attempt to make physics exciting for the uneducated.

Agree re teaching of religion as fact.

Herr Rommel

Religion = Fairy Tales for adults who should know better.

daveL

I don't think religion is ever taught as a science

however the teaching of rational subjects within the same school day as mythology and superstition is too much of a juxtaposition

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies