The Telegraph wonders: How safe is money in Irish banks?

spotty

Spotty can only imagine the unbounded joy in Merrion street over this one:

How safe is your money in an Irish bank? - Telegraph

Fwiw, Spotty's elderly parents are off this afternoon to take all their savings from Irish banks and open a sterling account in the North. Spotty's parents aren't exactly speculators.

The country is ************************************, lads.

HarshBuzz

Spotty may be somewhat interested in Friday's trading statement from BoI - which shows large outflows of deposits

Spotty might take this as confirmation of his parent's prudence.

Spotty might also advise his aged ancestors that Sterling isn't exactly the greatest currency to be ploughing one's life savings into.

Cute Coors

if the IMF bailout was to happen :rolleyes: , what would be the ramifications for the bank share price?

spotty

Spotty might also advise his aged ancestors that Sterling isn't exactly the greatest currency to be ploughing one's life savings into.
Who knows? Spotty's parents, like he says, ain't speculators. I think they feel that on balance, it's a better bet than the Euro.

Mushroom

Perhaps Spotty should direct his parents' attention to the advertisment that appears on the "Telegraph" page that he linked to!

(Assuming that a test tube is able to read a British broadsheet!)

HarshBuzz

Who knows? Spotty's parents, like he says, ain't speculators. I think they feel that on balance, it's a better bet than the Euro.
One would not like to see Spotty's meagre inheritance go up in flames

Tell them to open a Euro account instead

grassroots

Is Spotty P Flynn. Make sure you don't deposit your money in Ulster, Lloyds, or Barclays. HSBC only

D

Deleted member 17573

Spotty can only imagine the unbounded joy in Merrion street over this one:

How safe is your money in an Irish bank? - Telegraph

Fwiw, Spotty's elderly parents are off this afternoon to take all their savings from Irish banks and open a sterling account in the North. Spotty's parents aren't exactly speculators.The country is ************************************, lads.
That´s exactly what they are - they are currency speculators - at least they will be the moment they open an account denominated in the currency other than the one in which they carry out their ordinary, everyday financial transactions. Currency speculation is not a suitable pursuit for Spotty´s parents unless they are very rich and merely want to play with a bit of spare cash.

Insole

I'd be reluctant to keep any more than a few grand in sterling, and that'd be in cash. The GBP is likely to devalue further I would have thought. The UK economy doesn't look too healthy.

Watcher2

Jaysis. Yis are fierce easy to annoy.
Well, it is kinda cute the first or second time, but on a continuing basis, its annoying. I'll put it to you like this, that disgraced fella out in Lucan who died in Moscow, what was his name, the politician/self serving piece of mediocrity, you know the one who featered BIG in the tribunals.....well him, he used to refer to himself in the third person.

I put you in the same boat.

HarshBuzz

that disgraced fella,
what was his name,
the politician/self serving piece of mediocrity,
you know the one who featered BIG in the tribunals.....well him.
more detail required!

basketcase

Never mind the antagonists Spotty - Basketcase finds your third person very amusing - carry on ;)

Mushroom

Sorry, Google gets me out of trouble - Liam Lawlor.

But poor Liam was very confused about his own identity.

I seem to recall one of the Tribunals revealing that he used one (or more) local taxi drivers to cash cheques for him in pubs and open bank and credit card accounts for him in their names.

New Threads