The term "patriotic" is much abused

Fides

Is it just me or has the phrase "patriotic duty" been rolled out a little too often over the past few months.
This morning I heard on the radio Anton Murphy Economics Professor at TCD suggest it is our patriotic duty to put our savings into Irish banks. They are safe and it will help the country's cause.
For me "patriotism" or "loyalty" is a two way street and at the moment I don't feel my country is very patriotic or loyal to me or indeed the general public at large. My first duty is to my family and that means ensuring come what may we survive this mess. As far as I'm concerned it is not over when it comes to the banks and until I'm convinced otherwise Irish banks will not be getting any of my money.
What do others think? How far should you sacrifice/risk yourself for the good of the country?

Asparagus

Is it just me or has the phrase "patriotic duty" been rolled out a little too often over the past few months.
This morning I heard on the radio Anton Murphy Economics Professor at TCD suggest it is our patriotic duty to put our savings into Irish banks. They are safe and it will help the country's cause.
For me "patriotism" or "loyalty" is a two way street and at the moment I don't feel my country is very patriotic or loyal to me or indeed the general public at large. My first duty is to my family and that means ensuring come what may we survive this mess. As far as I'm concerned it is not over when it comes to the banks and until I'm convinced otherwise Irish banks will not be getting any of my money.
What do others think? How far should you sacrifice/risk yourself for the good of the country?
Some people think that its patriotic to continue to p1ss money away on a failed banking system thats doomed to more failure.

Others think that its patriotic to get a gun and go all Lee Harvey Owsald on some ases.

Some think its patriotic to die without question for ones country.

More think patriotism is best served in a real country, listening to diddly i music and reminiscing about how we destroyed the country

Would you
a - Die for Ireland
b - Kill for Ireland
c - Deposit life savings in a doomed bank for Ireland
d - Emigrate

Tiocfaidh_Armani

For me "patriotism" or "loyalty" is a two way street and at the moment I don't feel my country is very patriotic or loyal to me or indeed the general public at large./QUOTE]

Great point.

New Threads