The Tet offensive, South Vietnam from 30/01/1968.

redneck

1968 was a key year in the Vietnam war. The Tet offensive, by Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces started on 30/1/1968. About 70,000 VC and NVA regulars attacked US army and South Vietnamese army bases and command centres in South Vietnam. This happened during a ceasefire by the US army, and during the Vietnamese new year celebrations- Tet. At first the US and South Vietnamese were caught by surprise but they later rallied and fought back. It took about 6 months to finally put down this rebellion. This rebellion though had a massive influence on US policy.
President Johnson resigned, Martin Luther King was asssasinated, Robert Kennedy was assasinated. All in the 6 months of the rising.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive

One of the reasons it was so effective was the US government had said the war was practically won- in the months prior to the attacks. A paralell might be the 1916 Easter rising, on a much smaller scale.

Levellers

The execution of a Viet Cong prisoner by the chief of police played a role in changing American opinion.

eoghanacht

Twas nothing compared to Bien Dien Phu.

Uncle Joe was a military genius, being non white this is recognised outside of military history circles.

redneck

Uncle Joe was a military genius, being non white this is recognised outside of military history circles.
Yes that was a great victory. But the Japanese had shown that White European armies could be defeated. In 1968 the US army was widely considered to be unbeatable.
The Vietnam war was considered to be over in January 1968. But this offensive changed all that.

Last edited:

Mitsui2

A paralell might be the 1916 Easter rising, on a much smaller scale.
Certainly in terms of the military failure vs the enormous effect of its happening at all there are valid comparisons. But I think Tet was a much greater shock - the British ca. 1916 were at least aware that something was in the air.

The sheer size of the Tet offensive, and the fact that such clearly massive and well-coordinated preparations had been made without the US getting so much as a sniff of it, was something the Yanks - and particularly the public at home - never really recovered from.

cozzy121

Do you mean Giap?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Võ_Nguyên_Giáp

Võ Nguyên Giáp (Vietnamese: [vɔ̌ˀ ŋʷīən zǎːp]; 25 August 1911 – 4 October 2013) was a Vietnamese general in the Vietnam People's Army and a politician. Võ Nguyên Giáp is considered one of the greatest military strategists of the 20th century

parentheses

The Americns were terrified the siege of Khe Sanh airbase would be a repeat of Dien Bien Phu. I think it is said President Johnson had a model of the Base built in the White House basement and he demanded updates every couple of hours from military officers. The Americans were terrified a human wave attack backed by artillery might succeed.

redneck

The US general in command, William Westmoreland, knew an attack was coming. He thought it was the Marine base at Khe Sanh. It was the larger offensive all over the South that was the main event.
This was the first TV war- and it was shown every night in the living rooms of Americans. This played a part in the US Army withdrawal in 1972. In other words it was plain that the average Vietnamese did not suport their government- they seemingly prefered the Communists.

redmonite

The tet offensive was a monumental defeat for the north Vietnamese, however the media reaction in the US lead to Americans repudiating the theme of Kennedy's inauguration speech.
Perhaps it was the first example of fake news.

cozzy121

The tet offensive was a monumental defeat for the north Vietnamese, however the media reaction in the US lead to Americans repudiating the theme of Kennedy's inauguration speech.
Perhaps it was the first example of fake news.
Ignoring all the US government lies preceding the offensive that the enemy was defeated and victory was in sight.

Tet brought those lies into the open and the media finally reported what the Government knew back to before Kennedy - the war was unwinnable.

but go back to blaming them liberals in the medja :roll:

Catalpast

1968 was a key year in the Vietnam war. The Tet offensive, by Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces started on 30/1/1968. About 70,000 VC and NVA regulars attacked US army and South Vietnamese army bases and command centres in South Vietnam. This happened during a ceasefire by the US army, and during the Vietnamese new year celebrations- Tet. At first the US and South Vietnamese were caught by surprise but they later rallied and fought back. It took about 6 months to finally put down this rebellion. This rebellion though had a massive influence on US policy.
President Johnson resigned, Martin Luther King was asssasinated, Robert Kennedy was assasinated. All in the 6 months of the rising.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive

One of the reasons it was so effective was the US government had said the war was practically won- in the months prior to the attacks. A paralell might be the 1916 Easter rising, on a much smaller scale.
It broke the faith of Middle America that a Military Victory was possible

- once that was done the writing was on the Wall....

-

Catalpast

The Americns were terrified the siege of Khe Sanh airbase would be a repeat of Dien Bien Phu. I think it is said President Johnson had a model of the Base built in the White House basement and he demanded updates every couple of hours from military officers. The Americans were terrified a human wave attack backed by artillery might succeed.
Well they made damned sure it didn't!

But it took their eye off the ball as it were

When Tet happened the US Commander in Vietnam General Westmorland was not wholly convinced it wasn't just a giant decoy so that the NVA would attempt to overrun Khe San

- he held back vital reinforcements until the picture became clearer

Catalpast

Ignoring all the US government lies preceding the offensive that the enemy was defeated and victory was in sight.

Tet brought those lies into the open and the media finally reported what the Government knew back to before Kennedy - the war was unwinnable.

but go back to blaming them liberals in the medja :roll:
The War was winnable all right

- but the US strategy was on awful mess

+ the South Vietnamese Regimes were corrupt as F.cuk

On the other hand the VC and the NLF were utterly ruthless *&^%$

- the biggest card they played was Nationalist Identity rather that Communism

- and it worked

- eventually....

NMunsterman

The War was winnable all right

- but the US strategy was on awful mess

+ the South Vietnamese Regimes were corrupt as F.cuk

On the other hand the VC and the NLF were utterly ruthless *&^%$

- the biggest card they played was Nationalist Identity rather that Communism

- and it worked

- eventually....
Robert McNamara, US Secretary of Defense, already knew as early as 1965 that the Vietnam War was not winnable.

The Nal

Robert McNamara, US Secretary of Defense, already knew as early as 1965 that the Vietnam War was not winnable.
They knew well before that.

One of the best documentaries ever made here

[video=vimeo;149799416]https://vimeo.com/149799416[/video]

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

When a Vietnam Cong platoon got inside the Us Embassy courtyard (although ultimately U.S. forces destroyed it), the attack and its initial success, stunned American and international observers, who saw images of the carnage broadcast on television as it occurred. That was a real symbol of the end.

Bea C

The Tet Offensive now just makes me think of one thing:
I was chatting to somebody from my college days who on their way back from Australia had spent a week in Vietnam.
I was being told how amazing the place is.
In a nod to western History, I conceded that outside of the Tet Offensive, I didn't know much about Vietnam.
This person had absolutely no idea what I was talking about :roll:

Socratus O' Pericles

The Tet Offensive now just makes me think of one thing:
I was chatting to somebody from my college days who on their way back from Australia had spent a week in Vietnam.
I was being told how amazing the place is.
In a nod to western History, I conceded that outside of the Tet Offensive, I didn't know much about Vietnam.
This person had absolutely no idea what I was talking about :roll:

Maybe they were more interested in art, scenery, cityscapes, food and so forth. Not war...... there’s people like that.

New Threads

Most Replies