• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The They're Their There Thread

EvotingMachine0197

'Tis bad enough to read an otherwise well built argument, being badly let down by misuse of common spelling practice.
It is even worse to occasionally see it in the printed national newspapers.
And sometimes, while reading a blog or whatever, I encounter the inevitable. And I lose all interest.

With that in mind, I would like to see this particular spelling failure eliminated from P.ie

They're is short for They are - the apostrophe is instead of the 'a'

There - means there. : Over there : there are : there was etc.

Their is possessive : Ownership of something. e.g. Fianna Fáil continue to stand over their policies.

Don't let yourself down. Get it right !

;)

EvotingMachine0197

Edit ; I deleted this post as it negated the point of starting the thread in the first instance.

st333ve

Their, their now, calm down.
I think yo'ur getting worked up over nothing.
Their spellings cant be that bad.
Personally i havent seen many spelling mistakes, they're cant be that many mistakes surely?
I certainly havent seen any, dont worry you'reself over it, there readers probobly complain all the time, although these journalists need to get they're act together this just i'snt on!

feargach

Ream ember: ewe mussed awl weighs spell cheque!

ibis

feargach said:
Eeven politishuns kan spel cheque.

Insider2007

Don't forget "Cosgrave's car's " on the way out to Whitworth Road. I am always tempted to walk in and say "Cosgrave's car's what? Blue? On fire? Crap? I've always been curious about what is happening to Cosgrave's car?"

soubresauts

Auditor #9 said:
it's = it is (sometimes 'it has')
its = possessive (its hoof got caught in my radiator grille so I had to chop it off with a knife)
Jeez, what an example! What made you think of that?

Podolski

Another one that has become very common of late on this site is "had of" - The hoof wouldn't have got caught in the grille if I had of avoided it. The "of" is totally unnecessary and gramatically wrong. "could of" is even worse - it should be "could have".

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
Podolski said:
Another one that has become very common of late on this site is "had of" - The hoof wouldn't have got caught in the grille if I had of avoided it. The "of" is totally unnecessary and gramatically wrong. "could of" is even worse - it should be "could have".
I've seen it here before - 'of' used in preference to the actual auxilliary 'have'. Anywhere there should be an aux 'have', 'of' sneaks in - "it must of run out quickly from the trees". The spoken interfering with the written language...exciting.

greengoose

EvotingMachine0197 said:
'Tis bad enough to read an otherwise well built argument, being badly let down by misuse of common spelling practice.
It is even worse to occasionally see it in the printed national newspapers.
And sometimes, while reading a blog or whatever, I encounter the inevitable. And I lose all interest.

With that in mind, I would like to see this particular spelling failure eliminated from P.ie

They're is short for They are - the apostrophe is instead of the 'a' = der

There - means there. : Over there : there are : there was etc. = deyer

Their is possessive : Ownership of something. e.g. Fianna Fáil continue to stand over their policies.

Don't let yourself down. Get it right !

;)

Ard-Taoiseach

Excellent work, EvotingMachine0197. I am heartened that someone else using the site takes grammar and punctuation as seriously as me. We must strive to be clear, concise and a touch humorous in our verbiage.

BuachaillBeo

feargach said:
Restrict those phonetics to a particular geographical location, and you've yourself a new language as per Ulster Scots - get that grant money to which you're entitled ;)

Another grammar thing that gets at me is when people use prepositions to end their sentences with. That should stop that as well...

Kev408

greengoose said:
ibis said:
feargach said:
Eeven politishuns kan spel cheque.
sum of dem deel in cash like de man from Drumconrah
Does he still visit the Goose Tavern (formerly The Pilot and before that The Green Goose) on Sunday nights?

Kev408

I sold him a ticket for my football club 'minutes' thingy one time in the Pilot. He was Minister for Finance at the time. When I relaised who he was I apologised for bothering him. He said ' ah don't worry about it, I used to have a pain in me bollix selling tickets for my club'. (True story).

antagoniser

Dis is silly, dere really ain't a pint in it, sur don't we'all no wot we'r sayin anyho. And dats dat. Da end.