• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Tipping Point

LeDroit

Following today's debacle I received numerous emails from political friends and indeed previous political foes regarding the state of the nation and potential next steps from my vantage point. I'm on holiday at present, availing of the hotel's generous wireless but I've been able to keep up with news back home. Watched the news tonight. It's virtually shambolic at this stage.

I am not a reactionary, not prone to hyperbole while obviously being right of centre. Two current TDs personally friendly with me have touched base. I also contacted a couple of councillors and ex party activists from three parties. As most will know, there have been mutterings of a new right of centre party since the demise of the PDs. I've been sceptical to be honest. I think a new party needs a broader base. But with FF imploding and FG stagnant I think the time has come. The tipping point has arrived.

FG are impotent. Kenny is unacceptable to urbania. The political imperative that Dail tenure offers carries little weight with city dwellers watching their wealth dissolve. If FG can't or won't represent this contingent of voters someone else will. It seems FG are happy to be the FBD of parties. Farmers won't get you elected inside the Pale. We are not content to desert Dublin to Labour/the unions. It's time the taxpayer had a party. It's time those ashamed of their current Taoiseach had a party. It's time those ashamed at the prospect of FF or FG's leader as our national chieftain had a party.

I am appealing for a ground movement to help. We will need young and old. Those affiliated and not. Those who are agitators and those who never thought they would. Ireland is one and yet not, a gaggle of constituencies, so I want word from Donegal to Waterford and Louth to Cork. It's going to be difficult. Good. Because it'll make the effort worth the goal. The existing parties will ridicule your efforts, will hope you go away but you will recognise yourself by looking in the mirror and realising that we live in a small country and yes, you genuinely can make a difference.

If you are to have a time, it's now. Stand by the republic. Chalk your name onto the board.

LeDroit

So you won't be joining Eirigi, I take it?
Tragically no. I want to have an impact in Dail Eireann. It's time the ordinary peoples fury at expenses and gombeenism was represented. It's time the nonsense of non frontline funding ended. I want referenda. It's time we did things right, not to keep vested interests happy, but to actually deliver. I'm done with career politicians. I want activist politicians. Mission politicians.

HMprison

If you are to have a time, it's now. Stand by the republic. Chalk your name onto the board.
Would you ever **** off.

Another fellow who spots an opportunity and steps into the fray to "start a new political party". Is there a Facebook page and a twitter account so I can "follow" you?

The "Irish People's Party" (remember them?) consisted of a bunch of 30 to 40 something unmarried embittered failures. Lasted about 6 weeks once they could only scrape together 50 of their long-faced friends to hold placards outside the Dail. The guy behind it was too ashamed to even put his name and contact details on the website. lol.

LeDroit

Would you ever **** off.

Another fellow who spots an opportunity and steps into the fray to "start a new political party". Is there a Facebook page and a twitter account so I can "follow" you?

The "Irish People's Party" (remember them?) consisted of a bunch of 30 to 40 something unmarried embittered failures. Lasted about 6 weeks once they could only scrape together 50 of their long-faced friends to hold placards outside the Dail. The guy behind it was too ashamed to even put his name and contact details on the website. lol.
I'm afraid we're beyond that now. There genuinely is no alternative to tweedle dum and tweedle dee. But I can understand your fear and the fact that you are intimidated by the challenge. Bear in mind the impact 10 seats can have in this country. Have courage, if you genuinely want to make a difference with your life, opportunity knocks.

HMprison

I'm afraid we're beyond that now. There genuinely is no alternative to tweedle dum and tweedle dee. But I can understand your fear and the fact that you are intimidated by the challenge. Bear in mind the impact 10 seats can have in this country. Have courage, if you genuinely want to make a difference with your life, opportunity knocks.
I'll give you 1 week. Max.

antiestablishmentarian

Tragically no.
I want to have an impact in Dail Eireann.
It's time the ordinary peoples fury at expenses and gombeenism was represented. It's time the nonsense of non frontline funding ended. I want referenda. It's time we did things right, not to keep vested interests happy, but to actually deliver.
I'm done with career politicians
. I want activist politicians. Mission politicians.
'I'm done with career politicians' :lol::rolleyes: yeah right; don't you understand that we the people have no control over the real rulers of the State, the ECB and international bondholders? Having an 'impact in the Dáil' isn't going to do anything, for example Paul Gogarty had 'an impact in the Dáil' when he told Stagg to f*** off.

LeDroit

'I'm done with career politicians' :lol::rolleyes: yeah right; don't you understand that we the people have no control over the real rulers of the State, the ECB and international bondholders? Having an 'impact in the Dáil' isn't going to do anything, for example Paul Gogarty had 'an impact in the Dáil' when he told Stagg to f*** off.
I can understand your cynicism. The country has a surplus of cynicism. But take a breath. Seriously, is this your all? Is this all you ever want to do for your family, your community, your country? Get involved or accept what you get given.

You can contribute here. Movements start with individuals. Are you one of those individuals?

LeDroit

LeDroit

I come here to be entertained.
I did too. I've been in there before and became disillusioned with it. But you genuinely are intrinsically no better, no worse than the current lot. You can do better than them. People think it's impossible to unseat the establishment, but genuinely now, if someone knocked on your door and asked you to go a different way now, do you think you'd still vote FF/FG/Labour? There has never been a better time to ask the question.

Mar Tweedy

The political imperative that Dail tenure offers carries little weight with city dwellers watching their wealth dissolve.
Wow that sentence is scary. Are you saying what it appears to be saying that a wealthy urban group don't see politics as being necessary for the Dail?

What are you proposing you replace the politics bit of the Dail with? That would worry me.

Sounds to me like this is a group of wealthy people who don't want to share much of their wealth in bringing this country back to life economically and would prefer the poor to pay. Some patriotism!

Murph

Another right of centre egit -yeh we need another party of them.

are you sure you were not drunk or hoarse when writing that appeal Ledroid.

Were you up to 3.30 drinking and singing in your hotel beforehand?

TradCat

I'm for a Taxpayers Union type party. But I think the time for it will be after the next election. I wouldn't trust anybody arriving on the scene now because they might go into coalition with FF. Any PD connection would compound that fear.

Centre right people have to get behind FG at the next election. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to demolish FF and if we fail to take it they will be back.

The second point is that a new party would need credible national figures involved at the outset.

eoghanacht

Repackaged PD's, how clever.

ICallely

I agree with the opening poster - in the most part.

We need a step change in the politics in this country - people who care about Ireland first.

The gombeen politicians from tweedledum and tweedledee live inside the bubble and are infected with the virus of party and loyalty to the party.

Another party, central right, central left, will eventually become infected with the same virus, once they start to live in the bubble.

SO I think we need a party with one overriding manifesto - that is electorial reform.

We need less elected representatives, and better representation. The number isn't important, but I'd aim for 80 TDs or so.

I believe that the party whip system is a contributing factor to the problem. The whip system should be dismantled to mitigate the power of independents, and the disproportionate local impact that they can create. This would reduce the parish pump impact.

A new party would have to promise "the divil and all" to get the electorate to vote for them, at a local level, unless they have such a strong reform message as to engage with the anger.

I'd support a "fixed term of existence" party, with a manifesto of political and electoral reform.

FakeViking

Repackaged PD's, how clever.
I can understand the cynicism. But the reality is (as usual) different. FF and their mudguards (with a little help from their friend His Exalted Lordship Sir Anthony) fluked a win in the GE back in '97 and inherited a growing successful economy with long term stability, stoked the flames of the boom, bought the two subsequent elections, and are about to hand over their legacy, a wreck. I don't particularly like EK, but I can't stand this b*s about "we need a new party". We're still getting over the PD virus.

TradCat

I don't particularly like EK
Me neither. He is a poor candidate for Taoiseach. But that doesn't mean he'd be a bad Taoiseach. Bertie was a great candidate but a terrible Taoiseach. John Bruton was a lousy candidate but had a reasonably good tenure.

Of course you can be both a bad candidate and a bad Taoiseach as we have now.

But if Enda is the problem with Fine Gael who would the new party be putting forward? And if they fail to win enough seats for their own guy will they then vote for Enda? Or Brian Cowen?

FakeViking

Cui bono? Who gains by making EK look bad? Don't believe the FF press office spin.

As I said I don't like him, but compared to the drunken incompetent bum that couldn't be ar$ed to prepare for a radio interview, give me an alternative, any alternative. Without major constitutional reform, that (as things stand) has to be EK.

paulp

Following today's debacle I received numerous emails from political friends and indeed previous political foes regarding the state of the nation and potential next steps from my vantage point. I'm on holiday at present, availing of the hotel's generous wireless but I've been able to keep up with news back home. Watched the news tonight. It's virtually shambolic at this stage.

I am not a reactionary, not prone to hyperbole while obviously being right of centre. Two current TDs personally friendly with me have touched base. I also contacted a couple of councillors and ex party activists from three parties. As most will know, there have been mutterings of a new right of centre party since the demise of the PDs. I've been sceptical to be honest. I think a new party needs a broader base. But with FF imploding and FG stagnant I think the time has come. The tipping point has arrived.

FG are impotent. Kenny is unacceptable to urbania. The political imperative that Dail tenure offers carries little weight with city dwellers watching their wealth dissolve. If FG can't or won't represent this contingent of voters someone else will. It seems FG are happy to be the FBD of parties. Farmers won't get you elected inside the Pale. We are not content to desert Dublin to Labour/the unions. It's time the taxpayer had a party. It's time those ashamed of their current Taoiseach had a party. It's time those ashamed at the prospect of FF or FG's leader as our national chieftain had a party.

I am appealing for a ground movement to help. We will need young and old. Those affiliated and not. Those who are agitators and those who never thought they would. Ireland is one and yet not, a gaggle of constituencies, so I want word from Donegal to Waterford and Louth to Cork. It's going to be difficult. Good. Because it'll make the effort worth the goal. The existing parties will ridicule your efforts, will hope you go away but you will recognise yourself by looking in the mirror and realising that we live in a small country and yes, you genuinely can make a difference.

you'll need to do better than,
"if you don't like FF & FG, join us."
I agree that there is an apetite for some change - will need to be more than a post on this websit