The true shape and purpose of IW emerges.

Mad as Fish

I posted this on the budget thread but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

The following item was brought to our attention yesterday

‘Privatisation Of Irish Water Is Ultimately Envisaged’ | Broadsheet.ie

While privatisation of Irish Water is ultimately envisaged, the public ownership of the water infrastructure assets can be altered only by referendum

The section I've highlighted is, I believe, the key to the plans, there will need to be two IW's, one that maintains the infrastructure and deals with all the messy stuff like like environmental/sludge disposal forecasts and whatever while the other is a purely profit making enterprise that utilises the infrastructure by renting it (or some similar arrangement) from the government and dealing with the billing and perhaps paying for the treatment chemicals and pumping bills.

When you think about the above arrangement it becomes obvious that IW is purely an exercise in inserting a private company into the water distribution system with no other purpose than to profitise a public service, it's as simple as that, it's a scam to feather the nest of some lucky utility company!

The arrangement might also explain why the fans of IW are so adamant that bills will not be the €1,000 or so forecast, it's because they will not cover the cost of investment, that will still be met by the taxpayer so we will just be paying for a billing system and shareholders dividends plus maybe the running and treatment costs.

It also underlines the point about clause 3.2 in the domestic water contract, the possession of water on your property will become the major asset of the new IW service company as it will not own the infrastructure. This is the reason why IW are so keen, criminally so perhaps, to have you sign up with them, the money at present is a secondary consideration, they just want you to hand over the common right to water that we enjoy in Ireland, hence the €100 bribe to all and everyone to get you to agree to their terms.

Clanrickard

While privatisation of Irish Water is ultimately envisaged, the public ownership of the water infrastructure assets can be altered only by referendum

The section I've highlighted is, I believe, the key to the plans, there will need to be two IW's, one that maintains the infrastructure and deals with all the messy stuff like like environmental/sludge disposal forecasts and whatever while the other is a purely profit making enterprise that utilises the infrastructure by renting it (or some similar arrangement) from the government and dealing with the billing and perhaps paying for the treatment chemicals and pumping bills.

When you think about the above arrangement it becomes obvious that IW is purely an exercise in inserting a private company into the water distribution system with no other purpose than to profitise a public service, it's as simple as that. It's a scam to feather the nests of some lucky utility company!

The arrangement might also explain why the fans of IW are so adamant that bills will not be the €1,000 or so forecast, it's because they will not cover the cost of investment, that will still be met by the taxpayer so we will just be paying for a billing system and shareholders dividends plus maybe the running and treatment costs.

It also underlines the point about clause 3.2 in the domestic water contract, the possession of water on your property will become the major asset of the new IW service company as it will not own the infrastructure. This is the reason why IW are so keen, criminally so perhaps, to have you sign up with them, the money at present is a secondary consideration, they just want you to hand over the common right to water that we enjoy in Ireland, hence the €100 bribe to all and everyone to get you to agree to their terms.
Zoo please.

firefly123

Fine Gael. What did you expect?

Socratus O' Pericles

When you think about the above arrangement it becomes obvious that IW is purely an exercise in inserting a private company into the water distribution system with no other purpose than to profitise a public service, it's as simple as that. It's a scam to feather the nests of some lucky utility company!

And quite rifght too.

The private sector runs things much better than the public.

Michael O' Leary was telling the chuckling Fine Gaelers at breakfast that really the health service needs to be privatised that'll make it efficient.

Of course state subsidies for the bloodstock industry need to remain because of the jaaabs.

Mad as Fish

wombat

Mad as Fish

Fine Gael. What did you expect?
I think we have all been expecting something like this for a long time but now there is some flesh appearing on the bones of suspicion.

Trainwreck

When you think about the above arrangement it becomes obvious that IW is purely an exercise in inserting a private company into the water distribution system with no other purpose than to profitise a public service, it's as simple as that, it's a scam to feather the nest of some lucky utility company!

Let me get this straight.

You believe that paying a state company for water services is just about acceptable, but paying a private company is completely and totally unacceptable.

Do you go into fits of rage every time you go to the supermarket?

Prester Jim

'orebel

Was this not always the plan?

Name a country 'saved' by the IMF that didn't privatise water along with other public utilities.

Mad as Fish

Let me get this straight.

You believe that paying a state company for water services is just about acceptable, but paying a private company is completely and totally unacceptable.

Do you go into fits of rage every time you go to the supermarket?
No. I don't believe in IW as a company full stop. What makes you think I do?

Prester Jim

I think we have all been expecting something like this for a long time but now there is some flesh appearing on the bones of suspicion.
Yes, it was obvious from day one but they pretended that it was not the plan and obfuscated their intentions (badly as they do everything).
The people don't want this at all but as the people's wishes are way down the list of priorities for FF/FG/Lab politicians beneath big Dinny and their other cronies nest feathering proclivities, the voters/citizens will be ignored and lied to until it is a fait accompli.
Some democracy, complete sham.

Mad as Fish

Name a country 'saved' by the IMF that didn't privatise water along with other public utilities.
Indeed it most probably was, but we now have something more to hang our suspicions on.

'orebel

Trainwreck

No. I don't believe in IW as a company full stop. What makes you think I do?
Your OP states, breathelessly "The true shape and purpose of IW emerges". and then explain that this "shape and pupose" is to make it private.

I think you are too far gone for the Zoo.

I propose opening up a sub-Zoo, let's call it "the Aquarium" for your threads.

Gaston

Yep, hence why many of those in opposition to IW were so not because they couldn't pay, rather because of dirty smell akin to a stinking decomposing rat associated with the ultimate aims of it.

FF how are ya...petunia

Mad as Fish

Your OP states, breathelessly "The true shape and purpose of IW emerges". and then explain that this "shape and pupose" is to make it private.

I think you are too far gone for the Zoo.

I propose opening up a sub-Zoo, let's call it "the Aquarium" for your threads.
Wombat beat you to that lame bit of 'humour'. Please try to be original or even post something sensible.

GDPR

Completely dishonest presentation, as the last para of the CSO letter in your link makes clear.
"as there are NO statements by the Irish Government that "privatisation is ultimately envisaged".

Mad as Fish

Yes, it was obvious from day one but they pretended that it was not the plan and obfuscated their intentions (badly as they do everything).
The people don't want this at all but as the people's wishes are way down the list of priorities for FF/FG/Lab politicians beneath big Dinny and their other cronies nest feathering proclivities, the voters/citizens will be ignored and lied to until it is a fait accompli.
Some democracy, complete sham.
I think there was also an incredible air of arrogance about it all, we were just supposed not to question it, it would all be done and dusted before we knew what had happened. Alas for FG and their sponsors the public smelled a rat and organised an opposition that took shook them solid and the response is to bully and bluster undermining the meaning of democracy in the process. Quite how big a part the web played in all this is an interesting question but what is absolutely clear is that it has allowed the unearthing and dissemination of information and ideas in a way that just wouldn't of happened if left to the press.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies