The Truth about Ryanair

Ryanair 'best for customer service'

5 December 2008

Low-cost carrier Ryanair has been voted the best airline in Europe in terms of customer service.

The Association of European Airlines (AEA) has published its customer satisfaction figures for the first three months of the year and the Irish airline has topped the list.

Airlines were judged on punctuality, the number of lost bags per 1,000 passengers and cancelled flights. According to the AEA, 88 per cent of Ryanair's flights left on time, it lost 0.4 bags per 1,000 passengers and 98.9 per cent of its trips were completed.

Other airlines which appeared in the AEA's list included Air France, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Easyjet and British Airways.

Let the truth be known

Last edited:

RozzaCee

The lost bags statistic is misleading, since as they charge for luggage, fewer passengers check in bags. I suppose delays are less likely in airports in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
well now

The lost bags statistic is misleading, since as they charge for checked in luggage, fewer passengers carry them. I suppose there are less likely to be delays in airports in the middle of nowhere.
look, Aer Lingus REFUSE to provide their data!

Aerlingus and Olympic - their data is so bad they refuse to submit it

so hang your excuses elsewhere

Ryanair is Number 1

Last edited:

asset test

If you are a customer of an airline what do you want?

exactly what is in the survey for which Ryanair received the reward.

Now I'll get me coat in a minute, as I expect I might be hit with gripes about not getting refunds, not being able to change flights, etc. etc. So what? You know that before you book..... don't you? Why bother, if the flight is so cheap, take the hit.

As for Aer Lingus, they are just as bad on that front, but have staff stuck in the 80's, with their expectations of jobs for life, pensions etc. What are their skills? What does a baggage handler do that is harder than a bin collector? What does a check in person do that is harder than a supermarket check out person? The flight crew? Yes they have to have rigorous training and know what to do in an emergency, so I respect them for that. They will save my life someday so I don't care if they are having a bad day sometimes. Still, do they need to be sooooooooo protective of their union status?

Well done Ryanair! Now what award would MOL get I wonder??.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
I assume you mean Ryanair is Number 1, but it reads like Ryanair is near 1, which is kinda accurate, fly Ryanair to 1(1.5) and bus it to 1, sure you'll be grand!!

mollox

I fly several times a year with Ryanair (and Aer Lingus) and have no complaints about the general Ryanair service. We also have to acknowledge that Ryanair are responsible for the huge reduction in airfares in the past decade (though SPN and his fellow Green clergy are working on this).

Ryanair staff are generally much more civil that O’Leary. I often wonder why he does his macho man crap – it must be an ego trip of some sort and, frankly, it does his staff no favours.

On-time departures: My experience of Ryanair is that they generally leave Dublin late, nothing extreme, but arrive on time or early – because they factor at least 15-20 minutes extra into the published flight time to achieve this. At continental airports they’re generally on time leaving – because they’re usually the main user of a small airport. This “return leg” advantage must seriously improve their overall average.

Lost baggage: A couple of factors in Ryanairs favour – what proportion of their passengers now travel with hand luggage only? Also, they only fly point-to-point, with no baggage transfers required. This must further serve to improve their statistics.

The biggest problem with Ryanair arises when they arbitrarily cancel a flight from a secondary continental airport.
There’s usually no alternative carrier/service at that airport and they make no effort to look after their stranded passengers.
They’ll refund your flight cost but you’ll undoubtedly end up paying a hell of a lot more – for extended accommodation and an alternative flight home, probably from another airport.

Colada

Colada,

you need to accept that Ryanair is Number 1

Your obsession with MOL is psychotic.

Is Ryanair best in Europe for customer service because they don't operate a complaints line for customers?
Get back to me when Aerlingus start to submit their data.

AL prefer the Ostrich management method.

greengoose

When you look at the huge overstaffing in AL you can understand that practically everyone in North Dublin has a relation or friend working for the bloated airline. Therein lies a false sense of loyalty to a drain on society.

It is time to sell the state's shares and let a real boss run the show!

As for the bags, let's see now...
The amount of "hand baggage" duty free bags and various packages and boxes stuffed in the overhead lockers is astounding. That shuffling delays departure.

Maybe Ryanair should sell to AL an then the whole lot will go bust within months.

We are a nation of begrudgers and anyone who get a job done is attacked by losers looking for vague excuses as to why the thing works. It might be better to study the success and not be apologists for failures. That would aptly apply to our present Government and the massive mess they got us into.

Then again we seem to be a follow up nation. It's hard work catching up on the good ones!

When you look at the huge overstaffing in AL you can understand that practically everyone in North Dublin has a relation or friend working for the bloated airline. Therein lies a false sense of loyalty to a drain on society.

It is time to sell the state's shares and let a real boss run the show!

As for the bags, let's see now...
The amount of "hand baggage" duty free bags and various packages and boxes stuffed in the overhead lockers is astounding. That shuffling delays departure.

Maybe Ryanair should sell to AL an then the whole lot will go bust within months.

We are a nation of begrudgers and anyone who get a job done is attacked by losers looking for vague excuses as to why the thing works. It might be better to study the success and not be apologists for failures. That would aptly apply to our present Government and the massive mess they got us into.

Then again we seem to be a follow up nation. It's hard work catching up on the good ones!
well said greengoose, you def.unearthed some kernels

Nem

irish_bob

I fly several times a year with Ryanair (and Aer Lingus) and have no complaints about the general Ryanair service. We also have to acknowledge that Ryanair are responsible for the huge reduction in airfares in the past decade (though SPN and his fellow Green clergy are working on this).

Ryanair staff are generally much more civil that O’Leary. I often wonder why he does his macho man crap – it must be an ego trip of some sort and, frankly, it does his staff no favours.

On-time departures: My experience of Ryanair is that they generally leave Dublin late, nothing extreme, but arrive on time or early – because they factor at least 15-20 minutes extra into the published flight time to achieve this. At continental airports they’re generally on time leaving – because they’re usually the main user of a small airport. This “return leg” advantage must seriously improve their overall average.

Lost baggage: A couple of factors in Ryanairs favour – what proportion of their passengers now travel with hand luggage only? Also, they only fly point-to-point, with no baggage transfers required. This must further serve to improve their statistics.

The biggest problem with Ryanair arises when they arbitrarily cancel a flight from a secondary continental airport.
There’s usually no alternative carrier/service at that airport and they make no effort to look after their stranded passengers.
They’ll refund your flight cost but you’ll undoubtedly end up paying a hell of a lot more – for extended accommodation and an alternative flight home, probably from another airport.

o learys agressive egotistical style has served him well , most successfull men are alpha males

kittyn

The last nail in the coffin with Ryanair for me was he they tried and thankfully failed to introduce charges to use wheelchairs to bring people with either a disability or illness to the plane........ Shocking as for staring at a canary yellow and bright blue seat for any length of time, id rather pay the difference........

blacbloc

A relative commuted to UK for work weekly for two years. After six months, he chose Ryan Air whenever he could because he knew they would be reliable. He had disastrous experiences with Aer Arann, BMI Baby and others so gave up on them.

DeathKnell

The last nail in the coffin with Ryanair for me was he they tried and thankfully failed to introduce charges to use wheelchairs to bring people with either a disability or illness to the plane........ Shocking as for staring at a canary yellow and bright blue seat for any length of time, id rather pay the difference........
At least you have the option now. When AL were trying to corner the market and keep Ryanair from flourishing, you didnt have the option. You paid for extortionate prices and had to lump it...

Begrudgery indeed.. Its an idealogical thing for most people here, anyone who has studied O'Leary, or Alan Sugar or their ilk knows they have a low tolerance of bullzhit... They have a successful working business in stark contrast to what AL used to be.. Deal with it people.. He is going to get AL, and seems to be in the mood to make concessions, my advice would be to get as many concessions as possible now, before AL HAVE to go to him and sell it for peanuts..

Nem

If Alan Sugar has a successful business then I'll eat my hat

The problem with the merger is three fold. Ryanair and Aer Lingus differ greatly in ethos, manner of operating and the routes it is involved in. The bargain basement approach simply doesn't work on trans-atlantic routes which has been proven over the past year of so. That means a gigantic shift in attitude from the Ryanair management team. All of the sudden they find that in the context of the Irish Government, the EU and regulatory bodies their past aggressive attitude now have created serious difficulties.

Ryanair has no history of M&A. There is no precedent and this is a very big job to take on going into an area where the management team have little to no experience. Considering their cash reserves and outlook it would make more sense to move into a similar area where they have the experience and where they would be able to patch up the financial hole quicker.

Mr. Feckless is simply not a deal-maker as was proven when the baggage-handlers at Dublin airport went on strike a few years ago. This is essential when dealing with the unions, the Government, EU and other regulatory bodies. Antagonising by going through the courts or only implementing legislation when forced to under the threat of fines will only lead to further confrontation.

And besides, the EU can't really be seen to be flouting their own competition rules. So this one is unlikely to go ahead anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies