• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Twelve Pubs Of Christmas.

amsterdemmetje

OK,this is my first thread start so you'll have to forgive me if I make a tool of myself.

It would seem that we Irish don't have enough reasons to get locked out of our Christmas Tree, that we have to partake in this ritual which seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

I was working Saturday night doing security at a pub which I do most Saturday nights.The difference with this weekend was that there were a number of groups wandering around the town partaking in this so called drinking game The Twelve Pubs of Christmas.

Im well used to drunks and drunken behavior but I was truly taken aback at the drunken loutish behavior I witnessed on Saturday night. At 9pm everybody seemed to be meelogen drunk and we had a few heated exchanges with some groups as we refused them entry .

I don't know who invented this game or where it originated but as a man who loves his pint of stout I would never partake in such a drinking game where the only outcome is that everybody seems to be comatosed by 10pm.

I don't know how a pub can benefit from such behavior or how the customer who is involved in such drinking game can benefit from it.

Have any of you guys taken part in one of these nights out and lived to tell the tale.?

the 12 pubs of christmas

jo9jo

OK,this is my first thread start so you'll have to forgive me if I make a tool of myself.

It would seem that we Irish don't have enough reasons to get locked out of our Christmas Tree, that we have to partake in this ritual which seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year.

I was working Saturday night doing security at a pub which I do most Saturday nights.The difference with this weekend was that there were a number of groups wandering around the town partaking in this so called drinking game The Twelve Pubs of Christmas.

Im well used to drunks and drunken behavior but I was truly taken aback at the drunken loutish behavior I witnessed on Saturday night. At 9pm everybody seemed to be meelogen drunk and we had a few heated exchanges with some groups as we refused them entry .

I don't know who invented this game or where it originated but as a man who loves his pint of stout I would never partake in such a drinking game where the only outcome is that everybody seems to be comatosed by 10pm.

I don't know how a pub can benefit from such behavior or how the customer who is involved in such drinking game can benefit from it.

Have any of you guys taken part in one of these nights out and lived to tell the tale.?

the 12 pubs of christmas
First of all congrats on your first thread !

Disgraceful behavior - it probably depends on what kind of pub they go into.
If it is an auld mans pub where the auld fellas are sitting at the bar nursing a pint of Guinness then I think they would not be welcome in such an establishment.
However, in urban areas I guess the trendy pubs would favor such carry on.
I can imagine how badly pulled the Guinness would be - it would be drawn like a lager.

In my town it would not be possible to play the 12 pubs of Christmas as we do not have 12 pubs and people like to have a quiet pint with other civilized people.

I do not approve of it.

MacO'velli

First of all congrats on your first thread !

Disgraceful behavior - it probably depends on what kind of pub they go into.
If it is an auld mans pub where the auld fellas are sitting at the bar nursing a pint of Guinness then I think they would not be welcome in such an establishment.
However, in urban areas I guess the trendy pubs would favor such carry on.
I can imagine how badly pulled the Guinness would be - it would be drawn like a lager.

In my town it would not be possible to play the 12 pubs of Christmas as we do not have 12 pubs and people like to have a quiet pint with other civilized people.

I do not approve of it.
Ah Jaysis Jo9jo, if ye had six pubs then ye could skull 2 pints in each pub, or if ye had three pubs, ye could skull 4 scoops in each wan.Have ye no imagination in ballydull at all at all?? shurin' wouldn't th'oul' lads love ta see them lads comin' through the door?? what an all the mini skirted young wan's in tow?
In anyways, think of the local economy and the impact these would have on the local economy and vintners association comin' up to christmas? and them biys id be down in the chipper later as well spendin' th'oul' hard earned pat cash on schnac boxes an' spice burgers and tubs a curry sauce??
Wake up man !! wheres yer on-trey-pren-oooorial shpirit????

stopdoingstuff

I don't do that anymore, though my mates and I has a 12 spliffs of Christmas thing, which was lubricated by a nice mix of Barolo, Fleurie, and Chateauneuf du Pape. Much better than staggering around town and probably better value over all.

edwin

Lighten up people. I've done manys a 12 pubs and nobody in my group has ever been uncivilised or engaged in 'angry words'. Don't judge other people by your own low standards.

Asparagus

Ah Jaysis Jo9jo, if ye had six pubs then ye could skull 2 pints in each pub, or if ye had three pubs, ye could skull 4 scoops in each wan.Have ye no imagination in ballydull at all at all?? shurin' wouldn't th'oul' lads love ta see them lads comin' through the door?? what an all the mini skirted young wan's in tow?
In anyways, think of the local economy and the impact these would have on the local economy and vintners association comin' up to christmas? and them biys id be down in the chipper later as well spendin' th'oul' hard earned pat cash on schnac boxes an' spice burgers and tubs a curry sauce??
Wake up man !! wheres yer on-trey-pren-oooorial shpirit????
Did Enda Kenny not promise 12 pubs for every town in Ireland?
Its disgraceful that Paddy (who likes to know whats going on) has to recycle pubs in such a manner.

Of course nobody can afford 12 pints these days - maybe we should have a "5 point plan of christmas" or a "Guinness for taoiseach christmas"

DaveM

William Hague used to do the 57 pubs of Christmas. Honestly...

Franker65

All of these 'rules', getting horrendified drunk and parting with €200 are the very last things I want when I go out for a pint at Christmas. I just want to relax in the corner with a Guinness and chat to my friends. Rushing through pints, getting pissed and running out the door to another pub every 30 minutes? I fail to see the point and it seems like something 17-year olds would do.

Johnnybaii

The twelve pubs is easy enough to find, the 5 gold hens on the other hand.... Jesus wept!

Didimus

In city centre on Saturday night - fair amount of sloppy and slightly aggressive groups staggering around as early as 7.00. A bit like a convention of stag and hen parties.

shutuplaura

Turns Baggott Street into a long Temple bar style mess on December weekends. Most Pub owners seem to welcome the business though. Have to be honest, we tried it on Stephens night. I didn't make double figures.

Trampas

Turns Baggott Street into a long Temple bar style mess on December weekends.

Worse still the Irish in London are at it too, and guess what.....they'll be doing an encore here when they get back later this week.

amsterdemmetje

Lighten up people. I've done manys a 12 pubs and nobody in my group has ever been uncivilised or engaged in 'angry words'. Don't judge other people by your own low standards.
First of all I don't know what low standards you have but mine would include not walking around in your bear feet on a cold wet December evening been held up by two other girls who as drunk as the girl there holding up trying to gain access to a pub, and when refused entry engage in unlady like language and fly into a rage..

meriwether

Its the 12 pubbers who do the drinking games that I object to - i.e. some fu5kwit blows a whistle, and everyone has to sit on the ground, and so on.

ruserious

12 Pubs of Christmas carries with it the 12 rules of Christmas.

New rule each pub, such as:

1) Feeding the person next to you their pint
2) Can only drink with left hand
etc

Those found operating outside these rules will down their pint and start again.

I've been invited to 2 different ones this year, alas I won't be here for neither.

Lighten up folks...

Rocky

Its the 12 pubbers who do the drinking games that I object to - i.e. some fu5kwit blows a whistle, and everyone has to sit on the ground, and so on.
Yeah some are ok, some can be miles over the top though and just be annoying.

Dal gCais

All of these 'rules', getting horrendified drunk and parting with €200 are the very last things I want when I go out for a pint at Christmas. I just want to relax in the corner with a Guinness and chat to my friends. Rushing through pints, getting pissed and running out the door to another pub every 30 minutes? I fail to see the point and it seems like something 17-year olds would do.
Jesus Christ, where are you drinking that the pints are costing you almost €17 a whack?!?!?
You should move to Clare. Pint of the black down the local is €4.20.

On topic, I've seen plenty of these being done in Ennis and Galway and 95% of them are grand. It's the usual 5% that let teh side down every time but they'd still be out of their brains of a Saturday night 12 pubs or no 12 pubs. Tarring everyone with the same brush for the behaviour of the few isn't fair.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
something similar in swansea called the mumbles mile its a concentration of pubs in which you have to try and have a drink in every pub along the road for a mile

eoghanacht

Down with this sort of thing.